PDA

View Full Version : What the .... ?

CHAR250R
09-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Need some opinions on this one. 89 Tristar 190. 351 Ford. Sometimes has trouble turning over like the battery is low. Battery reads 12 volts. Alternator is putting out 13 to 14 volts. I checked them both with my battery/alternator tester. All neg and pos cables are corrosion free and tight. Pos cable to the starter is the same. Turns over cold without a problem. After she warms up, she struggles, but she does fire up. I'm leaning towards the starter. After starting, I can remove the neg battery cable from the battery and she stays running. The battery turns the starter, after that, the boats engine and electronics run off of the alternator. Whatcha guys think? I'll be putting her away for the winter in less than a month, and I'd like to square this up now instead of the spring. Thanks in advance.

Jayc
09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Sounds like the starter insulation is breaking down when hot. Get one of the new PMGR ones. Changed mine the other and cured the hot start issues.

Also never disconnect the battery while the engine is running. It can damage the regulator in the alternator.

rektek
09-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Starter motor is a pretty good guess, but some voltage drop and starter draw testing would give you conformation. this subject has been covered many times on this forum, try the search function.

:) :)

jwchapman
09-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I have an 88 TriStar - same issue - was the starter. You can get them rebuilt but I just called Discount Inboard Marine (www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com)) and had them ship me one. I had a question on the installation (the wiring was slightly different) and they walked me through it. Good luck.

Ryan
09-24-2007, 03:52 PM
I had a similar issue that turned out to be the starter relay - it's in the black box on the back of the engine. But another symptom, in addition to the slow turning starter, was that it would sometimes give just one click at the turn of the ignition key as though the battery were dead, even if it were fully charged and all cables were good with clean contacts.
After replacing it charges my battery better too. Worth a look.

pkskier
09-24-2007, 05:20 PM
I agree with the starter relay, check it first cheap and easy to change out.