PDA

View Full Version : HEY HOOSIER BOB: My depth finder works.

mrcrowson
09-22-2007, 11:37 PM
I decided to go out on the boat this evening and found out that our depth finder works great.

Leroy
09-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Sooo, what depth does this happen then Michael?

Where were you?

mrcrowson
09-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Just glad I was not driving. Ohhhh a couple feet give or take. We were south of the bridge closer to the beach, near the east shore.

Leroy
09-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Even when the water is up I am scared to go in that area. Many places where it goes shallow for some reason especially just north of the swimming area.

Sorry to hear this. I'm guessing you are yelling at the driver?

Just glad I was not driving. Ohhhh a couple feet give or take. We were south of the bridge closer to the beach, near the east shore.

Hoosier Bob
09-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Ouch! Guess we will be installing that depthfinder soon? Sorry, I do have a couple of props but my guess is yours is splined and mine are not!:o

mrcrowson
09-23-2007, 12:03 AM
No I didn't yell at the driver at all. It could of happened to me.

I was riding behind and all of a sudden I see MUD!!! And he shuts her down. I felt a little sick but what can you do?

Even when the water is up I am scared to go in that area. Many places where it goes shallow for some reason especially just north of the swimming area.

Sorry to hear this. I'm guessing you are yelling at the driver?

mrcrowson
09-23-2007, 12:06 AM
You think it can be fixed?

Footin
09-23-2007, 12:09 AM
I think it can be fixed.

mrcrowson
09-23-2007, 12:17 AM
All I can remember is you telling cousin Dave that his depth finder was his prop hitting bottom... HOW DID YOU KNOW? :rolleyes:

Ouch! Guess we will be installing that depthfinder soon? Sorry, I do have a couple of props but my guess is yours is splined and mine are not!:o

SDAhockey21
09-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Man trust me that is nothing!! Try hitting rocks,YIKES in a 2 month old 07 with gel coat, prop, sturt, and shaft damage........ Worst day of my life!

P.S. I wasn't driving either....

Hoosier Bob
09-23-2007, 12:30 AM
I know nothing quote the Schultz! Crap happens. A new CNC Acme prop will fix it in a jif! All I can remember is you telling cousin Dave that his depth finder was his prop hitting bottom... HOW DID YOU KNOW? :rolleyes:

Hoosier Bob
09-23-2007, 12:33 AM
My guess is if Michael was driving he would need a lot more than a new prop!;)

BriEOD
09-23-2007, 08:55 AM
That prop can easily be fixed. My guess is $50 to $75 and a prop shop in your area.

mrcrowson
09-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Well that is good to hear. I will probably get a new one also and keep this one for a backup.

That prop can easily be fixed. My guess is $50 to $75 and a prop shop in your area.

JohnE
09-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Man trust me that is nothing!! Try hitting rocks,YIKES in a 2 month old 07 with gel coat, prop, sturt, and shaft damage........ Worst day of my life!

P.S. I wasn't driving either....

OUCH! As I'm reading the thread, all I could think was "at least it wasn't a rock, just mud". Then I read your post.:( Sorry for both you guys.

TMCNo1
09-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Our lake has come up due to some torrential thunderstorms nearby a week or so ago and out on the water yesterday under 2 of 3 bridges our real depthfinder went to 3' from 5' and 6', but I was in neutral and I just held by breath and didn't hit anything. Must have been someones stolen gas grill on the bottom or a TV!
OJ or Acme can fix that prop up for around $100

stevo137
09-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Well that is good to hear. I will probably get a new one also and keep this one for a backup.

Yes, good idea.

Call this guy, (Don) and he will fix it for you.

http://www.indianaprop.com/

s

mrcrowson
09-23-2007, 12:12 PM
GREAT!! I WILL DO THAT.

Who has a prop puller? Or know of a way to take them off?

Yes, good idea.

Call this guy, (Don) and he will fix it for you.

http://www.indianaprop.com/

s

swchopper
09-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Don't know what model you have, but my X-star prop does not need a prop puller. It comes right off with some wiggling, or maybe a small tap of a rubber mallet.

I don't even like reading this thread. Would make my stomach sick to hear that noise!

mrcrowson
09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
THANKS!

Came right off. Here is a better picture.

Don't know what model you have, but my X-star prop does not need a prop puller. It comes right off with some wiggling, or maybe a small tap of a rubber mallet.

I don't even like reading this thread. Would make my stomach sick to hear that noise!

tex
09-23-2007, 03:35 PM
I've said it before....Pour me a good martini and give me 2 hammers...I can fix it!

Maristar210
09-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Sorry to hear it Michael. Looks fixable for sure. I bent the hub on one and um that is NOT fixable:o

Leroy
09-23-2007, 05:07 PM
I have a stock Maristar prop extra if you need something to get you back on the water. I'm sure it is not right for you boat but it might fit.

mrcrowson
09-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks Leroy, I will not need it for now. I am going to head to Florida soon to see my Grandfather (WWII VET) who was just diagnosed with cancer and has only a little more time left. He has decided to not take treatment. I will be getting intouch with Jim@BAWS while I am there to get a new one.

I have a stock Maristar prop extra if you need something to get you back on the water. I'm sure it is not right for you boat but it might fit.

Chas
09-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I understand that the new Six-blade version can withstand concrete with much less damage.
http://www2.nlr.nl/public/facilities/AVET-Info/Content/Pics/Prop_ductedfan.jpg

Slinkyredfoot
09-23-2007, 08:17 PM
You think it can be fixed?

Precision Propeller, 21st and Ritter in Indy, they will make it look like new for around a C note....

Leroy
10-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Well Michael we were on Morse Sunday AM and about 11AM all of a sudden shaking, vibration, hearing noises. Stop immediately, I'm in 15' of water and have went through there many times, refire and same, really bad vibration and thumping on the hull. Load up to go in and idling in I try forward-reverse-forward quickly and it gets a little better. Looked like a twisted mess of rope 50 yards behind the boat. Just before we get to the dock it completely smooths out. Pull out and there is nothing on the prop or any sign of anything. I think it was just some floating rope that I picked up.

I'm feeling very lucky.

TMCNo1
10-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Well Michael we were on Morse Sunday AM and about 11AM all of a sudden shaking, vibration, hearing noises. Stop immediately, I'm in 15' of water and have went through there many times, refire and same, really bad vibration and thumping on the hull. Load up to go in and idling in I try forward-reverse-forward quickly and it gets a little better. Looked like a twisted mess of rope 50 yards behind the boat. Just before we get to the dock it completely smooths out. Pull out and there is nothing on the prop or any sign of anything. I think it was just some floating rope that I picked up.

I'm feeling very lucky.

Simular thing happened with out 1st inboard on the 1st trip out. Apparently I hit a beach towel that someone has lost and it was floating on or just under the surface of the water, darn near stopped the boat with a lot of vibration. Stopped, backed up and forward again and chunks of towel were floating and churning in the water and it was history. Not a good feeling with a brand new boat.

lanier92prostar
10-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I had a similar situation as TMC, we ran over a baseball cap and the cap got stuck on the rudder. The faster we went the more the vibration. I thought I had torn something up for sure. Stopped the boat and took a look and found the cap. This summer I have had 2 friends tear props up when the depth finder read 10 or more feet. Unless you have a fish finder, the depth finder does not alert you to trees, rocks, stumps, etc.