PDA

View Full Version : x-star flyhigh ballast help

boo4381
09-22-2007, 01:44 PM
I have an 05 x-star and just had the flyhigh ballast system installed. First of all I can't get the boat to plane out, it gets to like 11 mph and thats it. I have the 8.1l 450 hp motor should I be having this problem? Also my ballast went from shooting out when empting to just trickling out and taking forever to empy. And it's not just because there is more water to drain, it does the same thing if it's only the stock ballast i'm emptying. Any help would be appreciated.

1boarder
09-22-2007, 03:07 PM
What prop do you have now and what rpm did it make it to. What's your elevation. You shuld call Eric at OJ and talk about props to figure out what would be best for your boat, motor, altitude, and other needs. As for you other problem, did it start immediatly after the install or gradually. Are there check valves or other things that would restrict the pumps. It could be your impellers, but if it started as soon as you installed the new system, you should look at how it was installed.

boo4381
09-22-2007, 04:39 PM
We have the 14.5 x 22 prop, it only got up to 3300 rpm with it fully loaded...The Draining problem started right after the dealer installed it...They put all of the valves to switch over to the new tanks in the port storage space, I was thinking that maybe the extra plumbing to these valves was causing the problem, but I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem..

PaulW
09-22-2007, 04:53 PM
I have a 06 XStar with the new Acme 14.25 X 14 I think, and it is a great prop. You can get on plane quick with a lot of water, or people in the boat. Your 8.1 ltr should be a great engine in that boat, it should be shooting you up on plane. I have the 350 MCX and it does a great job.
I plumed in the extra sacks to the factory system, and it works well. You have to have the overflow on the main sacks to the in on the extra bags. Then you need to have the overflow on the extra bags to the overflow vent in the side of the boat. One thing that it was doing at first, was sucking the extra sack down completely and shutting off the vent to the tanks under the floor. You need to have a vent in the system or it will suck really slow and pull a vacuum on the factory tanks. I got a 4' " pc of pvc and drilled 3/8" holes on the top and bottom and installed it in the extra bags to keep them from collapsing all the way shutting off the vent from the drain to the filling tube that goes back to the factory tank. It works very nice and does not take that much more time to fill or empty, although I have the 275 lbs in each back compartment and not the 800 lb bags that you might have.

PaulW
09-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Were in the midwest are you located at. I am in Lake Zurich IL

Jerseydave
09-22-2007, 09:10 PM
We have the 14.5 x 22 prop, it only got up to 3300 rpm with it fully loaded...The Draining problem started right after the dealer installed it...They put all of the valves to switch over to the new tanks in the port storage space, I was thinking that maybe the extra plumbing to these valves was causing the problem, but I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem..

Sounds like the 14.5 X 22 prop is way to high of pitch for that extra ballast weight. What is your top RPM with no ballast filled? How does it accelerate that way?

You should call OJ props and see what they recommend with that additional ballast. (or maybe MYMC will chime in)

boo4381
09-22-2007, 09:47 PM
I am in the mid- west also. Im not sure what the rpm is non loaded, but it accelerates fine not loaded, but not like you would think with 450 hp. I wonder what the PWT boats have as their prop with all that weight

Ole Miss Rebels
09-22-2007, 11:49 PM
i have the mcx. i had the 13.7 x 17. i upgraded to the 14.25 x 14 and it completely changed my boat. there is no question that the prop you are running is way too high of a pitch. i believe that all xstars come with the 14.25 x 14 now. take the earlier advice and call eric johnson at oj props. i want to add the ballast system to my boat so please let me know what you find out regarding the slow fill/empty problem. thanks and good luck

PaulW
09-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I have the OJ and the Acme 14.25 X 14. I like them both, but the acme has more power out of the hole.
Call Will at Chicago Mastercraft and he will help you out with the prop for the 450 hp

MYMC
09-25-2007, 09:58 AM
With all that ballast it won't plane out...ever. The Pro Tour does not use the L-18...they have used the MCX and the LY6. Depending on people in the boat you can use as big as 13.7x19.5 to as small as a 13.7x17...or you can do like MC in 2007 and use the 14.25X14.5 (I don't reccomend it, but what do I know). The 13.7x17.5 should be the one to use...look for over 4000 rpm on hole shot, if you don't have it it wont plane out.