PDA

View Full Version : New Dimension Tower Speaker Wiring

puck_11
09-22-2007, 12:47 PM
For those with NDTs, how did you or the factory wire your tower speakers. Did they run the wire through the front leg or the back leg? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Farmer Ted
09-22-2007, 01:17 PM
For those with NDTs, how did you or the factory wire your tower speakers. Did they run the wire through the front leg or the back leg? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated!

the forward leg of the tower should have an extra hole

you will need to drill a hole in the part of the tower that contours the windshield, the forward part of this should also have a hole already there.

the only problem is that if your tower is already installed you'll need to pull that off to drill another hole in the deck for the wire to pass through

here's the only picture I can find showing how the wires pass from tower to mount

we're going to the lake in a bit, I'll take a better picture when I get to the boat.

http://www.needadecal.com/speaker.jpg

michael freeman
09-22-2007, 01:50 PM

I can take some pictures of the '06 tower wiring if you need it.

On a side note, say hello to Mole for me (assumeing you work with him given your Aviatar and location)

puck_11
09-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the pic Ted. Michael, if you could post those that would be great. Which squadron is Mole in? I'm not familiar with him. Also, are you able to fold the tower with the wiring, or do you have any quick disconnects?

Farmer Ted
09-22-2007, 07:30 PM
here's a better shot of how the wires are routed

the hole on top (right) is existing, there is one on each leg

the hole at the bottom was drilled and the wires go forward where they exit out a hole similar to the one on top

which ever side you decide to run your wires through, you'll need to drill two holes at the fwd mount point, one for the bolt, one for the wires

I do not have a QD, there is enough slop in the wires to fold the tower. If I ever wanted to remove the top part of the tower I'd need to put a QD on it.

hope this helps!

T

SDAhockey21
09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Farmer ted is on point.

I wanted to make it clear to you that there should be a hole to run wires on the bottem of the right tower foot. Also when you mount your speakers, make shure you drill your hole and run the wires in front tower bar, the one closest to the bow. This way you will not have to make the 90 degree turn, which would be impossible...

Another thing, you will have to drill another hole in your fiberglass to meet up with the hole for wires in the bottem of the tower foot, liek farmer ted said, this means you will also need to drill a hole in the backing plate.

You will have to remove the tower to do this, and I recomend that you install the speakers, or at least run the speaker wire while the tower is off the boat... So much easier and those metal shavings are hard to get out of carpet

Good luck and post pictures when you are done!
I can take pics if needed

michael freeman
09-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the pic Ted. Michael, if you could post those that would be great. Which squadron is Mole in? I'm not familiar with him. Also, are you able to fold the tower with the wiring, or do you have any quick disconnects?

The 06 tower has a disconnect at the top so that the speakers on the back hoop can fold back while the front legs are folded forward. My digital camera seems to be broke, but I'm going out to the lake tomorrow morning, so I will see if my friend can take a few pictures so I can post.

RE Mole
I will have to look that up Monday. I used to work with Mole at Link Simulation, until he decided flying real jets was more fun then even the best military simulators.

puck_11
07-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Well 10 months later and I am finally doing this project. I have the tower sitting in my kitchen (no garage, I live in a townhouse and its raining out) its all wired up and ready to go. I just need to finish drilling the final two holes. My question for SDA or Farmer Ted, where did you drill the hole on the bottom of the tower pad? Did you drill it directly between the two mounting holes?

puck_11
07-08-2008, 11:35 AM
anybody......

fentong
05-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Can someone please confirm whether the proper place to drill the hole in the lower tower assembly is the 3:00 position as shown in the picture above. I was considering drilling in the 5:00 or 6:00 position so that water wouldn't drain into the tower leg. Most electricians always include a rain drip loop on external wiring for that reason. Perhaps it's not a big deal but I was wondering where they are drilled coming from the factory. I drilled the top tower section tonight and I held off on drilling the lower section until I got some advise from those in the know. Perhaps the legs drain but being in a northern climate Id hate to see the tower split in winter. Please advise.

CantRepeat
05-26-2010, 10:45 AM
I'll run out and take photos of mine right now.

CantRepeat
05-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Here is the right leg with the wires running through it. I used a rubber grommet on the hole I drilled into the boat.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/tower.jpg