PDA

View Full Version : Tasered woman: 'Pain was sickening'

atlfootr
09-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Sept 21 - An Ohio woman is subdued by a police officer wielding a stun gun. The woman says she worried about either passing out or dying. The officer's actions are being investigated.

AP
http://usatoday.feedroom.com/index.jsp?fr_story=FRsupt218110

atlfootr
09-22-2007, 09:19 AM
What's been going on lately w/ all this tasing, cops think they can use this for any reason possible .

Leroy
09-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Atlfooter; This is the MIT student arrested with fake bomb

link.

TO your question, I think it is what the media wants to report and they want to report what makes them money. Every news media I know of is a for profit company. You can see the posts and interest even on this forum.

atlfootr
09-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Atlfooter; This is the MIT student arrested with fake bomb link.It's to a page of various news/video clips.

1boarder
09-22-2007, 11:58 AM
I think that making a judgement on a clip like that is rediculous. I agree, the media doesn't give a ***** about right or wrong, only about making the clip look exciting. My questions would be what did she do to the officers before? Was she on drugs? In the clip alone, they said she wouldn't come out of the bar, tried to run away, and kicked out the back glass of the cop car.

As far as tasers go, I'm just glad I don't have to make a life or death decision in a split second in my job every day. I know a cop who found himself in a situation and tased the suspect instead of shooting him and he ended up in a long fight for his life alone. After a long struggle the suspect got the taser and he pulled his gun (which the suspect was trying to get as well).

Chas
09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Funny - I have lived my life so far without ever placing myself in a position where somebody had to chose to taser me or not.

JimN
09-22-2007, 12:27 PM
atlfooter- The fact that she had a stun gun made her more dangerous than the goof in Fla. At least the taser option exists, otherwise, clubs or bullets would have to be used. Why would she not put the stun gun down when the police arrived? If she files a lawsuit for this, it's because she really doesn't have a clue and if any lawyer takes the case, they should get a ball pein in the forehead for wasting the court's time.

Any time someone has a weapon and the police tell them to drop it, they need to effin' drop it. If not, they deserve whatever they get. A taser is supposed to immobilize the person getting the charge. It's part of the 'less lethal' arsenal.

Have you ever talked to a cop about what they're trained to do in certain situations? If not, ask what they do when someone with a knife moves toward them, from less than about 25'.

bigmac
09-22-2007, 01:12 PM
I think that making a judgement on a clip like that is rediculous. I agree, the media doesn't give a ***** about right or wrong, only about making the clip look exciting. My questions would be what did she do to the officers before? Was she on drugs? In the clip alone, they said she wouldn't come out of the bar, tried to run away, and kicked out the back glass of the cop car.

As far as tasers go, I'm just glad I don't have to make a life or death decision in a split second in my job every day. I know a cop who found himself in a situation and tased the suspect instead of shooting him and he ended up in a long fight for his life alone. After a long struggle the suspect got the taser and he pulled his gun (which the suspect was trying to get as well).If the cop is faced with a life-or-death decision, Taser doesn't figure into the equation. Life-or-death = lethal force. One problem is that most of the public doesn't understand the grave threat that surrounds loss-of-weapon. Lethal force as a means of weapon retention in a police officer's physical struggle with a criminal is generally considered valid. Therefore, Taser or OC before it gets to that point should be valid too. That is where the fine line is.

The use of Tasers or even pepper spray - any kind of less-than-lethal force - is always a tough judgement call relative to other options in the force continuum. Many departments hold pepper spray and Tasers at different points on that scale, some put them, or at least OC, at the same level as PPCT or other physical control techniques, but one can't really blame them for resorting to OC or Taser to avoid physical contact where they do risk getting hurt. I'm not crazy about the use of those measures simply to enforce compliance in a non-threatening perp (or actor, as we like to call them ;) ), like the drunk guy on the lawn mower, nor should an "actor" be Taser'ed if he's she's in handcuffs unless they're still violent enough to hurt themselves or others, (like kicking out a cruiser's window). However, my objection isn't necessarily that I think it represents brutality -- the political ramifications of using those measures is a sad fact of life in law enforcement these days and a video on the web is worth a thousand police reports in the minds of a clueless public. We look at these videos and may go "tsk tsk", but we really don't know the whole story - only a biased media's decision about what they want us to think.

michael freeman
09-22-2007, 02:07 PM
I didn't watch the video, but I have never seen some one tasered that followed the direction of the officer. Possibly a poor reference, but if you have seen some of the dash board camera shots on COPS, you would also see that the bad guys act all nice all the way up to where they beat the heck out of the cop, and or kill them. There is no way for a cop to tell the good guys from the bad in some cases, so I see nothing wrong in them using a less-leathal solution to get a bad situation under control. Good guys will not get tased because good guys follow the direction of the cop. I assume the lady in the video that I didn't watch was not following the directions of the officer?

FYI, I have been pulled over for little or no reason and been harrassed (several times) or had false tickets (twice) for reasons as slight as "failure to have my turn signal on for a full five seconds when merging onto the highway". You know what I did at all these events. I followed the cops instructions took my ticket or mistreatment to the Internal Affairs guy the next morning and filed a complant. I didn't always get the resolution I wanted, but I followed the process we have in place. If you don't like the process then maybe you should take time out of your life and change it.

1boarder
09-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Bigmac, did you quote me to agree or disagree?

My point was that 99 out of 100 times when someone gets tazed, the cop felt threatened and the suspect is lucky he didn't get shot.

With the cop I know tazing someone, he tried to act in a non leathal way and almost paid the ultimate sacrifice for it. Looking back, he should of pulled his gun and shot him if necessary although the suspect didn't have a weapon but was acting agressive (at a distance).

To comment on the type of suspects that won't listen or obide by the cops commands. The cop has every right to put them down. These are the people that the cop argues with and in a split second the cop is dead and you read about it in the paper and how he left a wife and two kids behind. There is no negotiation with a cop in my opinion. Do exactly as they say or go down by any means necessary. Simple as that.

JimN
09-22-2007, 09:02 PM
All I have to say about her is that she had a stun gun and was ready to use it, so why she's freaking out and saying that the pain was sickening, I don't know. What did she think was going to happen if she stunned someone? She just ended up on the electrical end of what she was carrying. Did anyone say why she was carrying a stun gun in the first place?