PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Monza

Jesus_Freak
09-22-2007, 03:56 AM
So, I am falling just after ball 2 (as I often do) at 34MPH 15'off. The rope handle is jerked out of hands and flys to make friendly contact with the edge of the ski. It is not that large of a spot, maybe 2" long, but I fear the spot growing with continued use. Have I opened up the interior layers to potential water damage? I know nothing about ski construction...

Jesus_Freak
09-22-2007, 04:00 AM
Another picture, but without the flash showing something brown.?.? Please advise.

WTRSK1R
09-22-2007, 08:20 AM
I am sure others will reply, but if it were me I would fill the area with either epoxy, or clear resin. It does appear that the core is exposed and it could become a longer term issue if it remains that way IMO.

Monte
09-22-2007, 08:31 AM
I dont know much about waterski construction JF, but I think WTRSK1R is on target. I would inject some epoxy into the damaged area, sandwich the ski between two pieces of wood and vice it all together. Once it has sat for long enough for the epoxy to dry. Remove the vice and the "sandwich" wood. I'm not sure how but you will need to seal any remaining exposed area. Maybe you could get some fiberglass cheesecloth and liquid fiberglass, apply then sand...

Farmer Ted
09-22-2007, 08:37 AM
you can epoxy it but that's not going to be a solid repair

try and find a fiberglass shop and explain what you have and ask them if they can do a vacuum repair

this will ensure the repair bonds to the ski

you may be hosed though as the flex of the ski may cause the repair to open up

east tx skier
09-22-2007, 09:19 AM
I've repaired a CDX that had some damage using epoxy puddy. So easy to use. Just cut off a slice and roll it around in your and to mix it. It pushes into the crack and is easy to spread around and fill all the voids. Then, just sand and wet sand. The repair I did on the tail of my wife's CDX, has held perfetctly for over a year now.

shepherd
09-22-2007, 10:23 AM
I'd also try the epoxy. Get some Marine Tex or JB Weld and seal it up. Should be good to go.

sand2snow22
09-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Call HO and see if you can get another one under warranty!! Might be surprised at what you can get....

Jesus_Freak
09-23-2007, 04:47 AM
Thank you all for your advice.

Sand, are you serious? But this was MY fault. What sort of interest would they have in helping me?

alp
09-24-2007, 08:58 AM
I would send it to HO and let them repair it like new during the off season.

#47of100TeamMC
09-24-2007, 09:13 AM
What size is your Monza?

If you end up being unsuccesful repairing it... I'd love to sell you a 67" 2006 monza. I got it on a carry-over situation this summer brand new. The deal will be too good for you to pass-up. I want to try a Goode or a Fisher.

east tx skier
09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
I would send it to HO and let them repair it like new during the off season.

If their repairs are anything like D3, they may just epoxy it just like you could.

sand2snow22
09-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Thank you all for your advice.

Sand, are you serious? But this was MY fault. What sort of interest would they have in helping me?

You never know, it's worth a try. At the very least, you can send it to them and they'll most likely fix it for free or send you a new one....

Jesus_Freak
09-25-2007, 06:19 AM
What size is your Monza?

If you end up being unsuccesful repairing it... I'd love to sell you a 67" 2006 monza. I got it on a carry-over situation this summer brand new. The deal will be too good for you to pass-up. I want to try a Goode or a Fisher.

Thanks dude, is your foot for sale also? I expect you have more talent than I do, so having your feet might help.:)

Thanks, but I couldnt last 30 seconds on a 67" ski, and would not last 10 seconds after I ask my wife to let me buy another ski. :noface:

Jesus_Freak
09-25-2007, 06:21 AM
You never know, it's worth a try. At the very least, you can send it to them and they'll most likely fix it for free or send you a new one....

Thanks all.

I just put some epoxy on it. I expect HO could have done a better job, but I need the ski sealed up for continued skiing. I dont want water in it, and I dont want to stop skiing. After I hit the cured epoxy blobs with a dremmel tool, it should look fine.

Monte
09-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks all.

I just put some epoxy on it. I expect HO could have done a better job, but I need the ski sealed up for continued skiing. I dont want water in it, and I dont want to stop skiing. After I hit the cured epoxy blobs with a dremmel tool, it should look fine.

We'll need after pics to judge your workmanship;) 8p :cool:

#47of100TeamMC
09-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks, but I couldnt last 30 seconds on a 67" ski, and would not last 10 seconds after I ask my wife to let me buy another ski. :noface:

At least we have something in common... I've learned over the last 3.5yrs... it's a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :rolleyes:

pq2
09-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Chris, why do you want to change your ski?

H20skeefreek
09-25-2007, 11:46 AM
At least we have something in common... I've learned over the last 3.5yrs... it's a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :rolleyes:
If you want it to last much longer than 3.5 years, you may want to rethink that theory. Just speaking from my experience.

Jesus_Freak
09-27-2007, 12:29 AM
We'll need after pics to judge your workmanship;) 8p :cool:

Dude, you dont want me to do that. A friend saw my ski in bad lighting and within a nanosecond noticed the workmanship. He said, "Man, what did you do to your ski?" But, hey...in my defense, the '05 monza was ugly to begin with. :D

Jesus_Freak
09-30-2007, 01:45 AM
I have patched it and skied it in the course. All is well, but it is ugly.