PDA

View Full Version : Wakestar Power Tower - have one or know about them?

mcdogg2001
09-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Costco is selling a Wakestar Power Tower online, does anyone have one or know anything about them? I'm shopping for a tower and wondering if these are any good?

rwoznock
09-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey There,

I bought almost the same tower from Big Air Towers on Ebay for 760.00 in the polished finish. To be honest with you it looks like the exact same tower. I have had mine for 3 weeks now and it worked great! No issues at all. Its quiet I've pulled 240 lb people wakeboarding with it and it doesn't move. I just bought my 96 Mastercraft a few weeks ago and while shopping for towers I was in sticker shock! I didn't want to spend another 2600.00 on a tower but I found this one. You can also see it at DIYWakecom, I bought my speaker cans and light bar from them. You can check out some pictures of mine in my gallery. Hope this helps!

Farmer Ted
09-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Hey There,

I bought almost the same tower from Big Air Towers on Ebay for 760.00 in the polished finish. To be honest with you it looks like the exact same tower. I have had mine for 3 weeks now and it worked great! No issues at all. Its quiet I've pulled 240 lb people wakeboarding with it and it doesn't move. I just bought my 96 Mastercraft a few weeks ago and while shopping for towers I was in sticker shock! I didn't want to spend another 2600.00 on a tower but I found this one. You can also see it at DIYWakecom, I bought my speaker cans and light bar from them. You can check out some pictures of mine in my gallery. Hope this helps!

do you have a large picture of your speaker cans and light bar?

what kind of speakers did you put in the cans?

I would (did) save up the money and go with a New Dimension Tower, but I wanted something that looked like it was OEM on the boat. Very happy with the customer service and the tower from NDT

rwoznock
09-22-2007, 09:59 AM
I have a few pictures in my photos here but if you need a better image i can send you one. I used Polk Audio MOMO's in my cans. Was kind of a pain because they are 6 inch not 6 1/2. I modified the can to accept the MOMO's. I have them on an Alpine headunit with an old Rockford Fosgate 160aII amp. They sound fantastic!

jbanczak
09-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey Rwoznock - we've been thinking about the same tower on ebay. We primarily wakesurf... so want to use it as a rack for boards as opposed to a wakesurfing tower. The ND towers are great, but at 3X the price, a little tough to justify.

How long did it take to mount? Was it relatively easy to wire the speakers?

rwoznock
09-26-2007, 07:15 PM
It was pretty easy to mount, you just need a few helpers when you are positioning it to see where your going to want it. Its not really heavy but when the boat is on the trailer and you have to lift it to 5 feet or so it kinda gets a little tough. Once we knew where we wanted it it was easy. Just a matter of positioning the mounts and bolting it in place. The speaker wires are easy if you have 2 people, just drill the holes in the boat and tower to where the speakers are and thats it. I posted some pictures in my gallery so you can see it. The tower looks pretty good on my boat(IMO). Just didn't want to spend 2600+ on the tower then have to buy the cans, speakers and lights. Take a look at the pictures and let me know if you need anything else.

jbanczak
10-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks - we bought one and are going to put it on sometime this winter. Will let you know how it works out! Appreciate the advice.

CHaus21
10-23-2007, 12:09 AM
do you have a large picture of your speaker cans and light bar?

what kind of speakers did you put in the cans?

I would (did) save up the money and go with a New Dimension Tower, but I wanted something that looked like it was OEM on the boat. Very happy with the customer service and the tower from NDT

I second the ND towers. They look as OEM as they get. They are great to work with and would highly recommend.

JoshBuzz
10-23-2007, 01:14 AM
We just put a Moomba tower on our 93 Maristar, and despite the company sending us the wrong size, the tower works and looks great! The price didn't put to much of a dent in the pocket, it's about 800 dollars, and looks excellent!!

We picked it up on eBay, and we should have pictures up tomorrow!!

Even though it's not MC, it looks alot like the zero flex tower!!

JDK
10-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Even though it's not MC, it looks alot like the zero flex tower!!

Pictures Required....I'm in the market too.
Thx!

JoshBuzz
10-23-2007, 02:52 AM
haha, I;ll see what I can dig up real quick, hopefully the elitist's won't shoot me for giving this recommendation!!

:D

JoshBuzz
10-23-2007, 02:57 AM
Here we go!

Dad installed today, in Houston, and I'm in College Station about an hour away, so I should get pictures of the install tomorrow!!

Here's the Moomba tower pre-installation

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6974/106171wt1ao2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

and here is a picture of the MC Zero flex tower, on someone else's boat of course!! The moomba tower swoops a little more (Which I like), but still follows the contour of the windshield!!

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4624/xtpmastercraftwakeboardup9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

PendO
10-23-2007, 04:04 AM
nice looking tower ... (but you gotta scrape the moomba lettering off:)) ... pretty nice of your dad to put it on when you are away at school ...

JoshBuzz
10-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Haha, yeah, I really wish it didn't have Moomba engraved on the side, but other than that, it's an awesome tower! I think our surf board racks fit right over the lettering anyways!!

JoshBuzz
10-23-2007, 02:30 PM
So apparently the sizing was wrong on the tower (User error, not company error) so we're going to have to get a bracket welded to the back to extend the tower!! Pics should be up soon, within a couple weeks hopefully!! I know it's possible to get the right size on the tower, it was just bad measuring on our part!!