PDA

View Full Version : And yet another question on towers

msanantonio
09-22-2007, 12:28 AM
I have been researching towers over the last few days and have read most of the threads out there on the site.

I have a 2000 Maristar vrs 230.

I like the look of the 2005 OEM tower - Is it possible to find that particular year tower out there?. When you look at the web sites you set a lot of the zero flex (and/or- new dimenson designs which are decent looking) Apparently XTP made them but when you go to their new site which is now monster you do not see the OEM style but one that is similar. It does not look as nice. One of the Members has a 2000 Maristar 210 and he purchased the 2005 tower. It looks real nice . Its a red and White model . I was quite pleased with its performance

The 2007 model tower is also nice looking but I am hearing that they shake and that the 08 now has a crossbrace add on to stop the shake.

I really like the intergrated bimini top design on the OEM 2005 and later designs.

I have not talked to the nearest dealer yet. The dealer closest to our lake is Castaway Marina on Lake George NY. I will check it out with them but the more info I have the better informed I will be on choosing the right tower.

If there is anyone in the North east who has dealt with a dealer on a tower installation I'd love to hear about it. Thanks for the input

rektek
09-22-2007, 02:59 AM
I had all the same questions you did before I purchased our ND tower.
I like the '05 tower as well, no one makes it aftermarket so you're looking at $5k plus installation from a dealer. this did not make any sense to me.

your hull is not designed to accept a tower, newer hulls have backing plates glassed in, you or the installer will have to add these to your hull.
the '05 tower is much heavier than the zeroflex. you have to ask yourself should I install a heavy tower on a hull that is not designed for it ?

if you're up to the task, installing a tower it's not hard. IMHO you'll end up doing a better job than a dealer because it's your boat and you want it to be perfect.

our ND tower has been trouble free for 2 years, we normally ride with 4 boards and yes it moves a bit, I'm 210lbs and have put the tower through all the paces with no issues.

my vote would be to install a zeroflex or sell your boat, take the$5k and buy a X10 or X30

msanantonio
09-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks A straightforward answer that makes sense. I'm not about to sell the boat as I just bought it and got a really good deal. Did you install the backing plates yourself? Looked at you gallery , nice look. Thanks
Will let you know what happens. ND has a sale......

dpolen
09-22-2007, 09:59 AM
For what its worth, my boat is pretty darn similar to yours and I have the monster tower...no tower movement whatsoever and I only $1600 invested in the entire setup. Just my 2cents. Don't get me wrong, the ND towers look great, but think about all the other toys you could buy for the boat by going the aftermarket route (perfect pass, heater, stereo,etc..).

tex
09-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Just remember to keep plenty of teak oil on your tower! We could start a whole nother thread!

rektek
09-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks A straightforward answer that makes sense. I'm not about to sell the boat as I just bought it and got a really good deal. Did you install the backing plates yourself? Looked at you gallery , nice look. Thanks
Will let you know what happens. ND has a sale......

ND towers provide the backing plates and fiberglass for the under deck.
it's 4, 3/4" holes what so hard about that ? backing plates are pre-drilled.

Call the owner Wayne at ND towers. he's a straight up guy and will answer any questions you have.

curious what's a really deal on a 2000 Maristar ?
:)

msanantonio
09-23-2007, 09:47 AM
I paid $22 K - Boat has 153 hrs, fresh water only, Someone might question the hours but its not unusual for a boat in the North east especially in the mountians . My 88 Tristar had 400 hrs. Our season is relatively short. All the boat needed was a good cleaning and wax. Based on what I see out there in the ads and NADA I thought it was a "good deal". My Sons are into the boards, I still like to run a salom run once in a while and I like the party and cruising aspect of the 230. Just need to pick the right tower. Thanks for all the info.

rektek
09-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I paid $22 K - Boat has 153 hrs, fresh water only, Someone might question the hours but its not unusual for a boat in the North east especially in the mountians . My 88 Tristar had 400 hrs. Our season is relatively short. All the boat needed was a good cleaning and wax. Based on what I see out there in the ads and NADA I thought it was a "good deal". My Sons are into the boards, I still like to run a salom run once in a while and I like the party and cruising aspect of the 230. Just need to pick the right tower. Thanks for all the info.

we paid $24k 4 years ago for our M210, it had 70 hrs on it and was dead mint, stored inside with cover when not used. it now has 280 hrs.

you will need to weight your boat to get a decent wake or bring a large crew.

whatever tower you choose make sure it adds value to your boat.
there are several universal towers that will be cheaper but will devalue your boat.

msanantonio
09-23-2007, 10:14 PM
sounds like you got a nice deal too. I know what you mean about the value aspect. I store my boat in the garage in the winter too that why my 88 looked as good as it did....
Its looks like either the ND or the zero flex ( which is now with Monster I believe... ) Plan to talk to ND this week. Thanks for the advice.