PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Jobs......

Farmer Ted
09-21-2007, 10:14 PM
So anyone here have a "dirty job"?

Ever see the one where Mike Rowe climbs in the fuel tanks of a KC-135?

I do that on a pretty regular basis, it's not nearly as bad as they make it out on TV mostly because the planes I work on have been defueled and sitting in a hangar for 6-12 months.

This week I've been in and out of tanks a bunch and have come to find an aspect I enjoy alot less than the smell of jet fuel.

Black Widow Spiders

There are two poisonous spiders in Texas. Brown Recluse and Black Widow. This week I've come face to face with 3 Black Widows.

They look just as evil as any cartoon drawing depicts them.

Grrrr, I just got over my fear of Bigfoot lurking in the shadows, now I have this to deal with.......

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-21-2007, 10:27 PM
So anyone here have a "dirty job"?

Ever see the one where Mike Rowe climbs in the fuel tanks of a KC-135?

I do that on a pretty regular basis, it's not nearly as bad as they make it out on TV mostly because the planes I work on have been defueled and sitting in a hangar for 6-12 months.

This week I've been in and out of tanks a bunch and have come to find an aspect I enjoy alot less than the smell of jet fuel.

Black Widow Spiders

There are two poisonous spiders in Texas. Brown Recluse and Black Widow. This week I've come face to face with 3 Black Widows.

They look just as evil as any cartoon drawing depicts them.

Grrrr, I just got over my fear of Bigfoot lurking in the shadows, now I have this to deal with.......

Get a Tazer:D

Mikey
09-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I shovel sh*t in Louisiana.:D

Monte
09-21-2007, 11:20 PM
I have to deal with bull all day.. Does that count??

SkiDog
09-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Ya'll should get in the building business, if you want to hear sum BS!:(

stevo137
09-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Farmer, Mikey,

Thanks much man!

Later...

mjw101081
09-22-2007, 12:06 AM
There was always some problem between the carpenters and the plumbers at the jobsites I would work. One day i was hooking up a septic tank to the main line of a house.

Apparently the Port o Potty out front wasn't good enough so the carps thought it would be cool for all of them to bust out the flange holes in the soon to be bathrooms and use that. Well after weeks of rain that goes down the vent pipes and various other additives I went to work on activating the plumbing.

A previously fired coworker had used duct tape to cap the end of the pipe and then covered it with dirt. I spent an hour looking for the end of the trunk line and finally found it. Not worried about the glued on cap that was supposed to be there I started cleaning out the dirt around the end of the pipe... facing it. 3...2...1... BOOM face full of stagnant **** water that had been sitting in over 100ft of pvc for months.

2 weeks of sickness...IVs lots of meds and a new respect for a white collar job.

Mikey
09-22-2007, 12:27 AM
There was always some problem between the carpenters and the plumbers at the jobsites I would work. One day i was hooking up a septic tank to the main line of a house.

Apparently the Port o Potty out front wasn't good enough so the carps thought it would be cool for all of them to bust out the flange holes in the soon to be bathrooms and use that. Well after weeks of rain that goes down the vent pipes and various other additives I went to work on activating the plumbing.

A previously fired coworker had used duct tape to cap the end of the pipe and then covered it with dirt. I spent an hour looking for the end of the trunk line and finally found it. Not worried about the glued on cap that was supposed to be there I started cleaning out the dirt around the end of the pipe... facing it. 3...2...1... BOOM face full of stagnant **** water that had been sitting in over 100ft of pvc for months.

2 weeks of sickness...IVs lots of meds and a new respect for a white collar job.

Ding, Ding, Ding I think we have a winner so far. :eek:

stars79stripes
09-22-2007, 04:40 AM
Used to own a restaurant and I once had an employee mis-carry in the ladies room. Had to clean up the restroom after I drove her to the hospital.

milkmania
09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Used to own a restaurant and I once had an employee mis-carry in the ladies room. Had to clean up the restroom after I drove her to the hospital.

at least she told you about it:(

Chas
09-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Someone mentioned Black Widow Spiders:

I sell spas - not a very dirty job. But when we move one or pick up an old one, there will always be Black Widow spiders under it, or sometimes in the equipment compartment. I don't know what the attraction is, but it is obviously there: I have never moved a spa without seeing at least one. Often they are the males - smaller and not supposed to be as dangerous. I'm not an expert on spiders.

The funny thing is, after doing this for twenty years now, I have never gotten bit once. Or at least, not that I know of. Is it possible to be bitten by a BW and not have a reaction other than a more normal bug bite?

The customers always freak out though - we have had housewives and husbands alike go screaming away at the first sight. We have had people knock over an 1100 pound spa as they tackled one of my workers trying to 'save their life' from the spider. Other have grabbed a garden hose and drenched my workers as they tried to flush the spiders away, and similar results have been attained with brooms and shovels.

No, not really a 'dirty job' in the truest sense, since we usually get more grief from the customer than the spiders.

Thrall
09-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Not to t-jack the dirty jobs part any more, but have an interesting Black Widow story too.
We see 'em all the time here in NM. They don't appear to be agressive, but freak me out a little none the less.
Couple weeks ago, I was changing clothes and put on a pair of shorts I had hanging in the closet. Thought there was a peice of dryer lint or something in the front pocket. Reached in my pocket and pulled out a BIG EFFIN BLACK WIDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scared the crap out of me for a couple seconds, but didn't get bit.

Farmer Ted
09-22-2007, 12:57 PM
the hourly employees keep a couple of the big ones as pets, to demonstrate the effectiveness of their pet they'll get a cricket and put it in with the BW

it's pretty cool to watch, the BW will go into overdrive reinforcing the web then go in for the kill

they've also put a Brown Recluse in with the BW and the Recluse didn't last much longer than a Cricket

It's still pretty un-nerving to be crawling around in a fuel tank that's 18 inches tall and come across one in your face