PDA

View Full Version : 205 as crossover?

mastercraftrider
09-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi, new member here with a couple of questions...

I am looking at purchasing a 1998 205 for skiiing and wakeboarding. The boat I am looking at has about 250 hrs and seems in good shape. It comes with the standard options with only a tower as an upgrade. (as far as I can tell). Just wondering what to look for in purchasing a boat of that year...and what price range I would be in.

Also is there a huge difference in wake size for skiing between the 205 and the 205v? I think I would rather have a v-drive for wakeboarding but the other owner (my brother) skis a course so he wants to keep the wake minimal.

Thanks for any replies...:)

east tx skier
09-21-2007, 04:34 PM
My father-in-law has the 98 205 and it is a great boat. Properly weighted, I'm sure you can get great wakes out of it as it is the original Xstar hull. It also skis well. Base HP was 308 that year with the LT1 as an option. The TBI (308 hp) engine is darn near bullet proof and has great low-mid range grunt.

WAT8415
09-21-2007, 05:01 PM
I would not go with the 205V if you're going to ski the course just MHO, you can add weight to the boat to achieve the desired wake. My cousin has a 93 205, it has a great wake for skiing and we also surf alot behind it. As for price range I have no idea.

east tx skier
09-21-2007, 05:11 PM
The 93 has a preferable (IMO) slalom wake to the 98. Although the 98 is not bad. For boarding, I'd say the 98 given its progeny, is the way to go. As for cost, I'd guess you could get into one for the low $20s.

Chief
09-21-2007, 08:44 PM
I had a 99 Prostar 205 Direct drive and it was perfect for both. Need some ballast but the trunk and ski locker held a total of about 900lbs. Great wake for wakeboarding and empty it and great for skiing.

Good Luck

AndyGJ
09-21-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a 2002 model 205V and love the boat. It has pulled me through the slalom course with 9 people on board once. I don't wakeboard (yet), but the son of a friend of mine does and said he prefers my wake over his dad's 2006 X-15 wake. Not sure why, but I took that to the bank all day long.

The 2002 was the first year that MC put the flip up bolster seat and the digital paddle wheel for the speedo instead of the pitot tube. I have the base RPT1 engine (310 hp) and have never found it lacking any power.

VTJC
09-21-2007, 11:09 PM
The 205 is probably best crossover hull from MC, except 214/x14, which I haven’t skied behind. If you want to use it in the course, Direct Drive is the way to go. The Malibu Sunsetter also makes a great crossover boat, skis the course great for its size.

puck_11
09-22-2007, 12:40 PM
I have a 95 205 DD and the wake is pretty decent when you put about 1000 lbs of ballast in it. The 98 should have an even better wake due to the hull design. It all depends on how good you are in your respective sports. Are you pulling inverts on the wake, getting big air, or are you just out there jumping the wake with an occasional spin. Are you going to progress to a point where you may need a Vdrive? How about your brother, whats his skill level as a skiier, can get get away with skiing behind a Vdrive, or would he hate it and need a DD?

mastercraftrider
09-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Great informative site!! Thanks for all the replies! To answer a couple questions my brother skis the course at 15 off 36 mph (nothing great but okay) I wakeboard and have 2 inverts and a 360 as my best tricks. Sounds like this would be the desired crossover boat.

One thing I ran into from the seller was he says the boat and motor are original but he says it is a 351 and I thought the motor was supposed to be a 350? Does anyone have any thoughts on this...

whirli
09-24-2007, 10:02 AM
I believe the LT1 says corvette right on the side of it that year. Ask him if the engine is a vette or not.

pilot02
09-24-2007, 10:52 AM
A 98 model would not have a 351 (Ford block) unless the engine had been changed. Verify the year and make sure it's not a 93.

mastercraftrider
09-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't think it should have a 351 either but I am not a engine expert (or even close). I will try to attach some pics of the boat and motor and tell me if that helps.

chevy08bud
09-24-2007, 12:14 PM
That is the TBI Chevy 350.

east tx skier
09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Yes, distributor in the rear indicates Chevy. That is the TBI 350 with 308 hp. (Great engine)! Boat has 98 side graphics. Would be fine in the course with a 15 off skier. Here's my boat in law (98 205) pulling 22 off.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/attachment-6.jpg

yippikaiyay
09-24-2007, 01:52 PM
I have a 97 205 DD. I love the fact that it can do a pretty good job of both, slalom and w'boarding. Not the best at either, but for that you're going to need two boats.
If your prospective boat has been maintained, and kept out of the water and sun, the hours are quite low, it sounds like a good used purchase, especially if it's in the low 20's.

mastercraftrider
09-25-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm glad I posted those pictures, thanks for the assurance that it is a '98 with the standard 350! Great site you have here with helpful members. The only thing I am trying to figure out now is if it has been in saltwater.
One more thing, does anyone one find that their dd 205 is lacking in storage?

yippikaiyay
09-25-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm glad I posted those pictures, thanks for the assurance that it is a '98 with the standard 350! Great site you have here with helpful members. The only thing I am trying to figure out now is if it has been in saltwater.
Storage wise, I do have a tower with one w'board rack and a ski rack which helps, and with 6 lifejackets, and some equipment under the front bow cushions, there's still alot of room under the observer seat. After that it is limited, except the narrow side storage, or under the rear bench. But I'd have to say I don't find it a problem.

east tx skier
09-25-2007, 03:17 PM

I found the newer 205s (96 and up) to have more storage than the 92--95 even though they didn't have the in floor ski locker. They had wide open gunwhale storage where you could actually fit skis. They also have storage under the rear seat. The observer seat is open to the under bow storage so you can actually get a slalom stick in there, too.

I don't mention wakeboards because the boarders tend to go with towers and racks and that sort of takes care of the storage problem for the larger items.

As for salt, the condition of the trailer may be the best indicator. Some rust is expected, but if it looks crazy bad, dig deeper. One person told me to wet your finger and run it across the center of the rear seat cushion. Then taste it for salt. Sounds crazy, but people would be likely to step over the transom and step on that seat with salt water on their feet, and if so, it'd leave a residue.

If all you taste is stinky feet, my apologies in advance.

mastercraftrider
09-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys...Not sure if I am going to be licking any seats too soon though! ;) The Seller says he hasn't used it in saltwater and he bought it from a dealer and says he asked when he bought it and they told him it wasn't either. I guess I am just trying to cover some bases before I get too serious about buying my first inboard.

east tx skier
09-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Not sure if I am going to be licking any seats too soon though! ;)

It's the only way to be sure. 8p