PDA

View Full Version : X-2: MCX vs. RTP

Eagle
09-21-2007, 01:47 PM
A friend of mine is considering purchase of an X-2 (new style) and is looking at a couple. He hasn't owned a wakeboard boat before so most of this is new to him. What are people's thoughts on MCX vs. RTP? I have an 05 X-2 (old style) with MCX but have never driven an RTP so can't give him first hand advice. Does the RTP have enough oomph to get a fully loaded X-2 out of the hole and easily onto plane? How much is resale affected by having an RTP instead of MCX? Any thoughts are appreciated.

rrbooker
09-21-2007, 01:54 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19351

ttu
09-21-2007, 01:56 PM
i have a 07 with the rtp. coming from a 340 hp indmar on my last boat i haven't really noticed any problem with hole shot just the "stock" ballast.

i run a additional 400 lbs of pop products and the engine has performed fine.

in re: to resale :confused:

Chief
09-21-2007, 01:56 PM
MCX....... X2 is a heavy boat and could IMO go with a bigger engine (400hp). I can say that since I own one. When you load it with people and ballast it's a pig. I can't imagine how bad it would be with the RTP.

I'm sure with the right prop the RTP would work.

duckguy
09-21-2007, 02:15 PM
My 06 had and RTP my 07 has an MCX.

MCX is the way to go both performance and resale.

If I ordered again I would get the LY6

sully
09-21-2007, 02:21 PM
I have had both engines, both are great. The RTP with 14x18 prop can be a rocket ship. But you need to think re-sale....
MCX

Roonie's
09-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I have the RTP and found little difference when I test drove the two. In 07 they changed the standard prop on them and they are a rocket now. We have had ours fully loaded with ballast and 10 people on board and still can't go full throttle coming out of the hole or it yanks the handle out of hand.

bigmac
09-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Again...propellers aren't magic. They will not make up for the loss of 40 horsepower, they'll just change what you're giving up for that lack of hosrspower. If you take the RTP and prop it down so the boat will "yank the handle out of your hand", you are certainly going to be paying for that in the loss of some other area of performance - probably top speed.

In a vehicle, that has a single speed transmission, like our ski boats, if we want the best performance over the widest range of applications, we want the broadest possible power band we can afford. And that means the most powerful engine so that we can broaden that performance envelope by choosing a big propeller with lots of pitch, the biggest prop that our engine can turn. If the RTP is all one can afford, then go for it, but make no mistake - it is most definitely a performance compromise. We'd likely all have the biggest possible engines if it weren't for the exponential expense increase from model-to-model. Power-for-dollar, the MCX happens to be the best bang for the buck and that's why it's so popular.

André
09-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Maybe MYMC has an opinion on this...;)
Go at least with the MCX.

east tx skier
09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Give that man all the horses in the stable and gear reduction if you want him to smile. :)

Roonie's
09-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Looks like it was also answered here.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/502964.html?1190405834

Also the MCX sure as purtty.

WOT on mine is 46-47 mph.

Doug G
09-21-2007, 08:21 PM
If you want to get technical find MYMC's thread on it. Bottom line bigger is always better. Not much $ to do the upgrade always go for more :)

Eagle
09-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi Roonie, Yeah, I cross posted on wakeworld to get a different section of responses. I figured here I'd get actual boat owners vs the wakeboarders on wakeworld. Thanks to all for the feedback.

3event
09-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Roonie's, I'm with you (although my experience is with PS197), the 310 does its job very well. I get 47+. I think I will stopwatch my 0-36 this weekend for grins. Admittedly when I drop coin on a new boat, I will probably go for as much HP as possible anyway.....