PDA

View Full Version : General Comments about Boaters

Chas
09-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I grew up around boats and boating - mostly in Northern California. My late uncle owned a resort on the Delta outside of Stockton called "Turner Cut."

I spent lots of time on the water as a teen, and was used to people being friendly, helpful, willing to loan a gallon of gas, a tool, a part if they had it, or to tow a boat in distress as needed. I don't remember ever being left stranded or feeling lost or alone even if I did something foolish like run out of gas or if the boat broke down.

But over the years that seemed to have changed. I would say that in the past ten years, I stopped enjoying boating because the boat owners seemed to have become a bunch of young people with a 'me first, get out of my way' attitude. I would just as likely be cut off in line at the ramp, the dock, even out on a run on the lake or river. What had happened? I'm not as impressed with a person's age as with their attitude.

And help just seemed to be something I planned on paying for if it was needed. Towing insurance, good vhf radio and cell phone (if service exists) seem to be musts. The funny thing is, now that I could afford a nice dependable new boat, I don't have the desire to own one: I own two old timers instead, and even though I pamper them, they have hiccups now and then. So....

I am writing to say that I am very impressed with this community. I bumped into this board on may way somewhere else, and I have to say that the level of help, humor, and even invitations to go skiing have begun to restore my hope.

Thanks to one and all, and please don't take for granted the blessing that simply offering help and information can be.

:cool:

sunsational
09-21-2007, 12:15 PM
You are right. A great group of people on here. :toast:

Sodar
09-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Damn young people. I hate them.

tex
09-21-2007, 01:14 PM
It's that Rock and Roll music!

shepherd
09-21-2007, 01:17 PM
It's that Rock and Roll music!

I thought it was that dang hippity hoppity music! :mad:

M-Funf
09-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Ahhh, Turner Cut...been there many times.

I agree with you on new boaters...I remember when it used to be very different, too...

tones03
09-21-2007, 01:23 PM
NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE, but at our lake it is the trailer boaters that seem to act that way, the locals and regular trailer ins are always willing to help and stuff, still sad.

Good post though, and Im with Sodar, dang young kids ;)

shepherd
09-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Speaking of getting free tows, when I was a kid... If our little boat broke down and we didn't show up after a few hours, my grandmother would get worried and call the local Coast Guard and make them go out and look for us. Sometimes they'd find us and tow us back in - free of charge and no tickets. I wonder if they even do that any more? I don't think they would unless you or your boat were in imminent danger. Yes, times have changed.

WAT8415
09-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Unfortunately you are very correct in the general attitude of people these days. Driving on the highway with my father in our old pickup, I would always remember people flashing their head lights to warn others that there was a cop ahead. I seldom see anyone looking out for others these days, it is definately a "ME" attitude that has fallen upon our society. I have to agree with you Chas that this community has not succombed to this way of thinking. Cheers to TMC!

beatle78
09-21-2007, 01:37 PM
28 years old and sadly I'm one of the more competent boaters on my lake.

I haven't figured out how to approach people and try to educate them w/o totally ticking them off, resulting in even more grief for me when we ride!!!:rant: :rant: :rant:

tex
09-21-2007, 01:41 PM
28 years old and sadly I'm one of the more competent boaters on my lake.

I haven't figured out how to approach people and try to educate them w/o totally ticking them off, resulting in even more grief for me when we ride!!!:rant: :rant: :rant:
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Sodar
09-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately you are very correct in the general attitude of people these days. Driving on the highway with my father in our old pickup, I would always remember people flashing their head lights to warn others that there was a cop ahead. I seldom see anyone looking out for others these days, it is definately a "ME" attitude that has fallen upon our society. I have to agree with you Chas that this community has not succombed to this way of thinking. Cheers to TMC!

That is one of the cool things I have been seeing ALOT on the way to the river. I almost got NAILED a few weeks back for got 90mph in a 65mph. Luckly, the truck up ahead changed lanes right in front of me and my initial reaction was that arsehole.... once I realized what was going on, I threw him a thank you wave.

M-Funf
09-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Driving on the highway with my father in our old pickup, I would always remember people flashing their head lights to warn others that there was a cop ahead.

Heck, I still do that. I wonder if I can get in trouble for doing it?

I think maybe 1 out of 10 people understand WHY I'm flashing my lights at them. The other 9 check to see if their headlights are on :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
09-21-2007, 07:29 PM
My parents always told me, "Elvis and the Beatles are ruining the world"! Then MasterCraft came along and turned the world back around, what else explains it?http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdrockf.gif

Chief
09-21-2007, 07:41 PM
The ramp always sucks, you will be disrespected by the person you waved at all day. That's okay, I'd just as soon tell the SOB he's being a dork and give him some training, either physical or verbal whatever they want.

Lennyp04
09-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Damn young people. I hate them.

Come on now, not all of us kids are bad...

Chas
09-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Kids? You mean "movable ballast?"

Bruce
09-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Aw yes why is youth wasted on the young!

Sodar
09-22-2007, 02:36 AM
Come on now, not all of us kids are bad...

Relax..... I am a kid too!

stars79stripes
09-22-2007, 02:59 AM
Never mind actually offering help or a tow - how many self-centered, self-absorbed boat owners can even recognize a fellow boater in distress? How many even care?

People call them by different names, I call them "$30,000 a year millionaires". They are so impressed that they actually own a boat and are on the water, they can think of nothing else.

Just because you can finance it doesn't mean you know ***t about operating it.

Mike

JoshBuzz
09-22-2007, 05:05 AM
We need you old-timers to keep us in check! I'm 18, and have been brought up right, so far at least, be it on the boat, or just flat out general respect and chivalry. Young people need to take a lesson from all the guys that have been out on the lake for much longer than us! I know I'm a newbie and all, but I think this community has already given me a greater respect for the boating community. I thank y'all for accepting us youngsters and teaching us! Y'all also give me something to look forward to when I get older, I wanna be in my sixties and still get out on the water every now and then!! So don't let some young people ruin your respect for all of us, keep those expectations high!!!

Leroy
09-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Profound! I wish I would have known my grandparents or my grandparents would have had a Mastercraft!

Aw yes why is youth wasted on the young!

tex
09-22-2007, 10:20 AM
We need you old-timers to keep us in check! I'm 18, and have been brought up right, so far at least, be it on the boat, or just flat out general respect and chivalry. Young people need to take a lesson from all the guys that have been out on the lake for much longer than us! I know I'm a newbie and all, but I think this community has already given me a greater respect for the boating community. I thank y'all for accepting us youngsters and teaching us! Y'all also give me something to look forward to when I get older, I wanna be in my sixties and still get out on the water every now and then!! So don't let some young people ruin your respect for all of us, keep those expectations high!!!
You almost got me with this great post but I realized that you said that you were brought up right and you are going to A&M!

Bruce
09-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Josh I am pleased to say you sound like one of my grandkids and that is indeed a compliment. You are wise beyond your 18 years. Family values are handed down. Your parents and grandparents should be proud. Us old farts love to teach. I started my oldest grandson playing golf when he was about 6(he will be 19 next month) He would be thrilled to beat me. What he doesn't yet know is that I would be the one who was really pleased.
I taught him to ski and he was a quick study. He really wanted to board and since it was time to get another boat(Katrina got mine) I went to the 230VRS. Up until about a year ago I could hang with him on the slalom but no more this old bod is hanging it up. He bare foots also. What a joy to drive for him and the other grand kids.(Even the toobers) I'm thrilled he has passed me by.
He learned to respect others on and off the water by observing our values. Guess what. He will pass them on and I bet you will also. Glad to have you on the board. You represent your generation well.

JoshBuzz
09-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Josh I am pleased to say you sound like one of my grandkids and that is indeed a compliment. You are wise beyond your 18 years. Family values are handed down. Your parents and grandparents should be proud. Us old farts love to teach. I started my oldest grandson playing golf when he was about 6(he will be 19 next month) He would be thrilled to beat me. What he doesn't yet know is that I would be the one who was really pleased.
I taught him to ski and he was a quick study. He really wanted to board and since it was time to get another boat(Katrina got mine) I went to the 230VRS. Up until about a year ago I could hang with him on the slalom but no more this old bod is hanging it up. He bare foots also. What a joy to drive for him and the other grand kids.(Even the toobers) I'm thrilled he has passed me by.
He learned to respect others on and off the water by observing our values. Guess what. He will pass them on and I bet you will also. Glad to have you on the board. You represent your generation well.

You almost got me with this great post but I realized that you said that you were brought up right and you are going to A&M!

Thanks guys, it means alot to know that y'all feel the same way, and that y'all take pride in passing down the torch so-to-say of good morals, ethics, and responsibilities. If it weren't for the few parents and grandparents that take an interest in their children or grandchildren, the "next" generation would be completely screwed. Tex, of course I was raised up right, I was raised on a MasterCraft, and as for the A&M part, well Gig 'Em Aggies!! :) Thank y'all for all the time and effort you put forth into instilling us with wisdom and knowledge to use and pass down to our kids and grandkids, we would be a foolish generation if it weren't for y'all!!

michael freeman
09-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Never mind actually offering help or a tow - how many self-centered, self-absorbed boat owners can even recognize a fellow boater in distress? How many even care?

Ohhhhh.... so you are saying that those guys waving while jumping up and down while their boat drifted across the lake, were not just being nice and waving to say hello? I thought they may have over ballasted their boat when I saw water coming over the back, but when I came back later that day, I didn't see any sign of them, so I assume they were fine. :D

On the other side a simple flag, air horn, whistle or even a flare gun are all cheap and within the purchase power of any boat owner out there. As a boat owner you have some responsibility to be able to communicate your condition of distress.

In that light, if I am staring at your girlfriend in the small swimsuit as I pass you on the water, I am purely trying to make sure she and your boat are not in distress. :D

puck_11
09-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Heck, I still do that. I wonder if I can get in trouble for doing it?

I think maybe 1 out of 10 people understand WHY I'm flashing my lights at them. The other 9 check to see if their headlights are on :rolleyes:

I do that, its a nice little courtesy. Also at night when people don't have their headlights on, I turn mine on and off, easier to notice than just flashing and I figure 9 in 10 don't even notice, the majority of them happen to be female drivers chatting on their cell phones :rolleyes:

stars79stripes
09-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Michael,

I agree with everything you said - especially concerning the neccessity of closely examining certain boats based on occupants.

Granite_33
09-23-2007, 10:53 AM
..................if I am staring at your girlfriend in the small swimsuit as I pass you on the water, I am purely trying to make sure she and your boat are not in distress. :D

Absolutely.....they tend to get in the most distress and need constant monitoring............Thats why I also carry a set of good binoculars.;)

tex
09-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys, it means alot to know that y'all feel the same way, and that y'all take pride in passing down the torch so-to-say of good morals, ethics, and responsibilities. If it weren't for the few parents and grandparents that take an interest in their children or grandchildren, the "next" generation would be completely screwed. Tex, of course I was raised up right, I was raised on a MasterCraft, and as for the A&M part, well Gig 'Em Aggies!! :) Thank y'all for all the time and effort you put forth into instilling us with wisdom and knowledge to use and pass down to our kids and grandkids, we would be a foolish generation if it weren't for y'all!!
Just giving you the business! Loved your post!

Lennyp04
09-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I have to agree with Joshbuzz. You guys here on Team Talk have to be the nicest bunch of guys out there. If everyone on the water could act how you guys do going out on my lake on a Saturday or Sunday could actually be enjoyable. Instead we have the people who need to come within 30 Feet of my dock throwing a huge wake with there 25 foot cabin cruiser bayliners(nothing against them) but you guys on Team Talk are so nice and very respectable!