PDA

View Full Version : business owner help

rodltg2
09-20-2007, 01:29 PM
for some reason my guys in the fabrication shop tend to act like teenage girls with their drama. well the latest has me very pi$$ed off. For some reason the shop guys and the installers don't like each other. I just hired a new installer and yesterday his car was broken into, radio and cd's stolen. His front tire was also slashed. Of course there is the possibilty that someone from the outside did this. however we have a very secure and private parking area . this also happened during work hours. im so mad im ready to fire all of them , especially after cutting a sink hole on the wrong side of an island piece. i know i cant do that . anyone have any advice on how to approcah them?

Ric
09-20-2007, 01:34 PM
create rotations. rotate a guy into the shop from the field and a guy out of the shop to the field periodically.

rodltg2
09-20-2007, 01:37 PM
cant very trade specific

bigmac
09-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Video surveillance technology is pretty cheap and simple to install these days.

M-Funf
09-20-2007, 01:40 PM
You need to have a Zero Tolerance policy. Both for people who do such things, and people who don't report them...

If they do something like that, they're gone.

If they saw it happen, or heard of it happening and don't report it, they're gone.

I know that in the past you've mentioned that it's hard to find good workers in your biz, but you still shouldn't tolerate that kind of stuff.

Either that, or make them all hug first thing in the morning :rolleyes:

Ric
09-20-2007, 01:43 PM
cant very trade specific yep, there is your problem. not just your biz, but each trade is always going to point fingers at the other.. I bet the field guys also don't like electricians or plumbers or flooring guys either and I bet the shop guys feel like without them, the field guys would have nothing to install (unappreciated is the word I think)

TMCNo1
09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Shut the business down and open a SPEEDO Franchise!

MYMC
09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
for some reason my guys in the fabrication shop tend to act like teenage girls with their drama. well the latest has me very pi$$ed off. For some reason the shop guys and the installers don't like each other. I just hired a new installer and yesterday his car was broken into, radio and cd's stolen. His front tire was also slashed. Of course there is the possibilty that someone from the outside did this. however we have a very secure and private parking area . this also happened during work hours. im so mad im ready to fire all of them , especially after cutting a sink hole on the wrong side of an island piece. i know i cant do that . anyone have any advice on how to approcah them?
Without proof there is nothing you can do (other than offer to help the guy that had the damage). Zero tolerence will do nothing without proof since anyone you take action against can go to Employment Security or hire an attorney (and or both). Install video suveillance and a company employee manual...then follow your procedures to the letter. Have each employee sign for the manual when it is given to them. Document everything and you'll be better for it.

rodltg2
09-20-2007, 03:39 PM
well what i have done for now is to keep them from loitering in the parking lot. told them all lunches and breaks must be taken either in the lunch room or in our gated yard.

milkmania
09-20-2007, 03:41 PM
well what i have done for now is to keep them from loitering in the parking lot. told them all lunches and breaks must be taken either in the lunch room or in our gated yard.

one word

TAZER!!!

TX.X-30 fan
09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
one word

TAZER!!!

Milk, Rod said nothing about these guys berating John Kerry. :D

tex
09-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Too bad teenage(19) girls can't work in your shop!

milkmania
09-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Milk, Rod said nothing about these guys berating John Kerry. :D

true, but tazing applies to a lot of things;)

milkmania
09-20-2007, 04:23 PM

is that against labor laws????:confused:

michael freeman
09-20-2007, 04:28 PM
one word

TAZER!!!
:D :D :D

tex
09-20-2007, 04:38 PM
is that against labor laws????:confused:
nnnnnnnn19!

rodltg2
09-20-2007, 04:40 PM

thay could but doubt they would... it be awesome too since the most my equipment is wet run so they would be wet all day long!

TX.X-30 fan
09-20-2007, 05:18 PM
thay could but doubt they would... it be awesome too since the most my equipment is wet run so they would be wet all day long!

Rod are you jacking your own thread? :confused: :D

JimN
09-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Rod- you can't make anyone pay for anything unless there's proof, as said. Look online and you'll find video surveillance equipment of various prices and quality. You can also buy dummy cameras, but Murphy's Law can apply, so maybe one should be a real one. If you have been thinking about installing something like this anyway, there are quite a few that are motion activated, DVR, accessed over the 'net and the police can get the IP address from you so they can see if there's a problem when the alarm goes off. As long as you have a router, the DVR or matrix is accessible via port forwarding.

As far as the people issues, I would have a biatch session with the shop people and another with the installers, separately. Tell them that you know there's friction and yo want that gone. It's your company, not theirs. If one group or person does something against one of the others and it costs you, make it clear that the person gets no warning, they're gone. Do the company manual, have them sign that they read and understand it and that if they go against any official company policy, they're getting whatever penalty applies. You won't be able to make any exceptions, either. Everyone is treated the same.

It's OK to let them know how PO'd you are. Just don't do anything about it until you have proof.

Otherwise, if you have seen the most recent James Bond movie, tell them that if they do anything wrong, you'll tie them to the chair and use the bug rope with the knot in it.

milkmania
09-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Rod- you can't make anyone pay for anything unless there's proof, as said. Look online and you'll find video surveillance equipment of various prices and quality. You can also buy dummy cameras, but Murphy's Law can apply, so maybe one should be a real one. If you have been thinking about installing something like this anyway, there are quite a few that are motion activated, DVR, accessed over the 'net and the police can get the IP address from you so they can see if there's a problem when the alarm goes off. As long as you have a router, the DVR or matrix is accessible via port forwarding.

I helped a buddy install a Clover USA 4 channel system that records to a HDD that he bought at Sam's Wholesale club for $950.00

his particular product has IP capability

http://www.cloverusa.com/product_detail.asp?id=81

Features:
*Triplex (Live/Recording/Playback simultaneously)
*17" Flat Square Picture Tube High Resolution 420 TV lines at center
*Real Time Display & Record 120 IPS
*High Resolution 720x480
*4 Mini Din Inputs & 4 BNC Input
*Remote Controlling & Monitoring via TCP/IP (GUI)
*Event Recording by Alarm Sensor or Video Motion Detection
*Programmable Recording Speed
*Jog/Shuttle Ring
*DDNS Support
*2 way Audio
*Pan/Tilt control (Pelco D Protocol)
*USB 2.0 port
*Remote Controller

rodltg2
09-20-2007, 05:52 PM
they know how dissappointed i am and have limited ther lunch and breaks to desginated areas. they used like to hang out in the parking lot , listen to music and talk on their phones. that's gone now. i know i can't do much more. as fas the cameras go ill have to look into it. we have 4 interior ones , but dont have any on the outside. we are very lucky and are located in a very safe area and the police drive by very often at night. however this happend around noon yesterday. i have dummy cameras out there but i think they are hip to them now.

JohnnyB
09-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Set clear rules and follow through....you are a reflection of what you tolerate. Set clear policies and enforce them. Your good employees will appreciate, value and be retained by you weeding out and handling the poor performers, screwoffs, etc.

Video surveillance sounds like an appropriate and wise investment.

milkmania
09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
i have dummy cameras out there but i think they are hip to them now.

if they weren't before, they will be now, as you've not indicated to them that you'll be reviewing the video:twocents:

bigmac
09-20-2007, 06:49 PM
one word

TAZER!!!

And pepper spray will help keep their willies in their pants.

atlfootr
09-20-2007, 08:34 PM
INSTALL REAL Video cameras

JohnE
09-21-2007, 11:30 AM
I'd do the cameras. But the real problem is the animosity between the crews. I'd have a nice talk and tell them they don't have to like each other, but do have to work together. And if they won't/ can't then get the F out and find a new job. I know how valuable good employees can be. I own my own business. But I won't tolerate BS between employees.

atlfootr
09-21-2007, 08:24 PM
I hire and I fire, note to self ..
ALL Employee staff are despensable :rolleyes:

JimN
09-21-2007, 09:37 PM
When the guys working for me would get too cocky, I'd look them in the eye and say, "Don't get too comfortable". The first time, he looked hurt and asked why. I told him that nobody is indespensible, including myself. I said that unless they do something wrong, I would have no reason to fire them but if corporate said I had to cut down on payroll, the first thing is less hours, then layoffs, then someone needs to look for a job. I had one guy who was a PITA but the rest were great employees. Unfortunately, the two best ones left on their own and one came back part time after I left. The other moved to PHX.

If I had part of my staff who hated the other part, I would find out why, make it clear that if someone isn't there to work as a team, they should tell me and then they can leave. It's easy enough to see who wants to work with someone and who doesn't. Just listening to them once in a while makes it very clear. Being in the same area with them makes it hard to tell since they'll act differently when management is there.