PDA

View Full Version : Radon Gas

Ric
09-20-2007, 02:12 PM
New thread so as to not jack mag's new home thread.

Paul Harvey ran an ad yesterday for a radon gas detector and stated that if you have granite in your home, you should have a radon gas detector...

Rodlt? :confused:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I wouldnt worry about Radon gas if I were you Ric. I dont think it can screw you up anymore than you already are.

Ric
09-20-2007, 02:57 PM
I wouldnt worry about Radon gas if I were you Ric. I dont think it can screw you up anymore than you already are. thanks for the bUMP, but I was looking for an intelligent member to answer:rolleyes:

MYMC
09-20-2007, 03:01 PM
http://mbstone.com/HH_promo/articles/Radon_and_granite_new.htm
http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/pdf/2774.pdf

I thought everyone knew about this stuff;)

jbfootin
09-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Usually radon is only found in rooms that are below grade (basements), since radon does not accumulate in areas that are ventilated with fresh air. You can have "radon remediation" done which is around $1000, and it basicly seals up your basement's cracks, seals your sump pump and taps into your drainage tile around your basement and exhausts it out your roof.

My father in law does this on the side is the reason I know this. I also had radon in my latest house and had to deal with it.

TMCNo1
09-20-2007, 03:15 PM
My wife wears a gas mask because of me, so she is safe anyway!

Ric
09-20-2007, 03:43 PM
The radio guy was the first mention I'd heard of it... sounds like it's been a lively discussion for awhile and probably a non issue here in the land of nobasements where I live.

M-Funf
09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm sure it can be a problem if your house is sealed tight. I think make up air on the heating/cooling system and ventilating basements/attics is a good idea.

Our house leaks like a sieve...I can feel a breeze with all the windows closed. Most of them are so far out of square that there's a 1/4" to 1/2" gap along one or more edges...
This would probably be an issue if it got really cold, but this is Kali :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
09-20-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm sure it can be a problem if your house is sealed tight. I think make up air on the heating/cooling system and ventilating basements/attics is a good idea.

Our house leaks like a sieve...I can feel a breeze with all the windows closed. Most of them are so far out of square that there's a 1/4" to 1/2" gap along one or more edges...
This would probably be an issue if it got really cold, but this is Kali :rolleyes:

I did'nt know you built your own house M Funf. :D :D

Ric
09-20-2007, 04:44 PM
I did'nt know you built your own house M Funf. :D :D so did you buy that garage ? :popcorn:

M-Funf
09-20-2007, 04:49 PM
I did'nt know you built your own house M Funf. :D :D

:uglyhamme::uglyhamme:.....................

Kevin 89MC
09-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Radon is basically a naturally occuring element that can pose problems in houses with basements. A cheap $10 test to check, and if it is discovered, it can be remedied through a few different avenues, depending on construction, level of basement finish, etc. A good thing to test for in all new and old houses with basements.
Haven't heard of the countertop issue.
My house came up clean!