PDA

View Full Version : Winterazation help

aremsing
09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
I am looking for a few opinions on closing my boat for the winter. I am a first time buyer with a 1993 ProStar. I will contact the local dealer about some of my issues but am curious as to how much fuel if any should be left in the tank for the winter?

east tx skier
09-20-2007, 11:14 AM
My opinion, fill it up with 93 octane or whatever they call Super Unleaded where you are and add the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer.

Some people say store it empty. But filling it worked for me and my 93 Pro Star the entire time I owned it.

Jorski
09-20-2007, 12:40 PM
If you don't fill up the tank right to the top, you risk getting water in the fuel from condensation. I have always filled to the top with premium and stibil.

Always fires up with one turn of the key come spring.

mayo93prostar
09-20-2007, 01:34 PM
There are other threads on here with two opinions on how much fuel to leave in, either full or almost empty. There are a lot of concerns lately over ethanol in the fuel and its reaction with water (condensation). There are also helpful threads listing what to do both now in the fall and in the spring. good luck. I too have a 93 prostar and love it.

Leroy
09-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I really think either option is good, I prefer leaving it as low as possible, still add Stabil, and then filling up first thing in the spring.

OhioProstar
09-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Think of a full tank as an investment. Who knows how much gas will cost in the spring.

Chicago190
09-20-2007, 02:32 PM
I would try to find a station that has ethanol free gasoline to fill it up with to prevent it from breaking down some of the rubber parts in the fuel system. Also use premium because the octane rating of gas drops over time. Using premium with hopefully give you at least 87 octane when you fire it back up in the spring.

bdecker
09-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I have always gone with the full tank approach due and fuel stabilizer. This year I have been strongly advised to reconsider this due to the ethanol. But, unless it is totally run dry (with a high risk of burning up the fuel pump I presume), does it really matter what is in the tank? I would think there is still some fuel in the hoses, correct? Isn't that the danger with ethanol?

meggsy1221@aol.com
09-29-2007, 11:42 PM
can you help us locate the knock sensor on a 94 prostar 205 with a 5.7 I believe it is by the drain plug on the right side of the block and why is this required? thanks to anyone for help

Footin
09-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Yes it is a drain for the block, it is on the passenger side of the block just below the exhaust manifold. It has a wire plugged into it.
Pull the wire and use a 7/8 inch wrench to carefully remove it and that side of the block will drain.

JDK
09-30-2007, 01:38 AM
Yes it is a drain for the block, it is on the passenger side of the block just below the exhaust manifold.

Odd..... mine's on the driver's side.

JDK
09-30-2007, 01:45 AM
can you help us locate the knock sensor on a 94 prostar 205 with a 5.7 I believe it is by the drain plug on the right side of the block and why is this required?

The knock sensor IS the drain plug for the block.
Why is it required? ....to sense engine knock (for the ignition system) and a convenient spot to locate it happened to be right where the drain hole for the block was.

Jerseydave
09-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Knock sensor is on the starboard side of engine.

Footin
09-30-2007, 11:02 AM
My bad, it is on the drivers side.

JimN
09-30-2007, 11:27 AM
bdecker- don't worry about fuel in the lines on newer boats. Once they went to the in-tank pump, the lines are no longer rubber, they're Teflon/fiberglass wrap/braided stainless/coated fiberglass wrap. AFAIK, there's no rubber in the fuel system.