PDA

View Full Version : house swap

sizzler
09-20-2007, 09:58 AM
just throwing this out there......

anyone ever done a house swap???? for vacation i mean

i wanna spend a couple of weeks stateside next july or august ..was wondering if anyone had /or would consider a house swap for the 2 weeks.....i live about 16miles outside of london(20 mins train journey) ,so it is ideal for sightseeing and doing the historic things that you guys lack:D ......the house is 5 bedrooms and very spacious...bbq area in the garden and a hot tub as well...i would leave my car for any prospective swapper(and vice versa)

this may not suit,,,but i am interested in views/opinions

Sodar
09-20-2007, 10:02 AM
That is a very cool idea! If I had a house worth swapping, I would definitely consider!

JimN
09-20-2007, 10:17 AM
"so it is ideal for sightseeing and doing the historic things that you guys lack"

Ahem! Ahem! It's people like you, what causes unrest!

How much of Old Blighty was worth looking at so soon after being settled by outsiders? Even if nobody from Europe had come here, if you moved all of the existing Native American structures to an island the size of England, I'm not sure they would be any farther apart than your "sightseeing interests and historic things".

Geez- give 'em a bloody Queen and they get all high and mighty!:)

east tx skier
09-20-2007, 10:20 AM
If I didn't live so far from DFW (or anything else worth seeing for that matter), I think we'd have a deal by now.

sizzler
09-20-2007, 10:21 AM
JimN................ooh....get you:D

TX.X-30 fan
09-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Are wives/GF included :confused: if so we can swap pics. and go from there. :D

sizzler
09-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Are wives/GF included :confused: if so we can swap pics. and go from there. :D
i like ya style:D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Whataya mean "what we lack"????? we have the worlds biggest house of mud, and the worlds biggest ball of straw! Jeeesh!!!:rolleyes:

8p ;)

JimN
09-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Ump- don't forget to tell him about the TeePee motel, too! And House On The Rock, The Cheese Museum and Wall Drug.

chevy08bud
09-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Largest Ball of Twine!

JimN
09-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Sizzler- what part of the area around London? There are some places I just won't go to.:D

Actually, I'm kidding. One of my ancestors came to America a few years after your Civil War. As far as I know, he wasn't kicked out, so....

M-Funf
09-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Sizz,
The US is pretty big...What part are you looking for?

Oh, and are you leaving the keys to the boat, too :rolleyes:

Rich_G
09-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I know house swapping is big in Europe. We almost did it a couple years ago. We were set up to go to a house outside of London for 2 weeks, but before the summer, the homeowner discovered some major structural problems and had to spend a couple of months getting them repaired (are you that guy?).

We live on a lake in Texas so it could be a fun summer vacation for a city dweller. This summer may not work for us, but I'll keep it in mind. I was not going to include the use of my boat in the swap, but I did have a friend who was going to take them out skiing, tubing once or twice while they were here. The family had some young kids, and they had never even been fishing.

sizzler
09-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Sizzler- what part of the area around London? There are some places I just won't go to.:D

Actually, I'm kidding. One of my ancestors came to America a few years after your Civil War. As far as I know, he wasn't kicked out, so....

essex....east of london

sizzler
09-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Sizz,
The US is pretty big...What part are you looking for?

Oh, and are you leaving the keys to the boat, too :rolleyes:

lakes preferably...........and that could be arranged

bigmac
09-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I don't know about swaps, but there are a couple of site that broker vacation rentals of various private homes in various locations around the US and caribbean.

Try looking at

http://www.vacationrentalsonline.com/

or

http://www.vacationrentals.com/

or

http://www.vrbo.com/

bigmac
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
lakes preferably...........and that could be arranged

I think what Jeff was getting at is that almost all areas of the US have lakes, and climate etc can vary very widely from region to region. Mid-summer...you'll want to make a distinction of such things like hot, really hot, hot and humid, hot with cool nights, cool with cool nights, rainfall liklihood, and then determine whether you want those things with or without mosquitos, and what degree of urbanity you want out of your stay.

djhuff
09-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Mid-summer...you'll want to make a distinction of such things like hot, really hot, hot and humid, hot with cool nights, cool with cool nights, rainfall liklihood, and then determine whether you want those things with or without mosquitos, and what degree of urbanity you want out of your stay.

I love this country. So many options for so many people.

M-Funf
09-20-2007, 01:07 PM
I think what Jeff was getting at is that almost all areas of the US have lakes, and climate etc can vary very widely from region to region. Mid-summer...you'll want to make a distinction of such things like hot, really hot, hot and humid, hot with cool nights, cool with cool nights, rainfall liklihood, and then determine whether you want those things with or without mosquitos, and what degree of urbanity you want out of your stay.

All good points, bigmac...lots to think about...

TX.X-30 fan
09-20-2007, 03:47 PM
All good points, bigmac...lots to think about...

Yes good points, but sh!t im still working on the urbanity thing? :confused:

André
09-20-2007, 06:29 PM
just throwing this out there......

anyone ever done a house swap???? for vacation i mean

i wanna spend a couple of weeks stateside next july or august ..was wondering if anyone had /or would consider a house swap for the 2 weeks.....i live about 16miles outside of london(20 mins train journey) ,so it is ideal for sightseeing and doing the historic things that you guys lack:D ......the house is 5 bedrooms and very spacious...bbq area in the garden and a hot tub as well...i would leave my car for any prospective swapper(and vice versa)

this may not suit,,,but i am interested in views/opinions
I'll be in vacations all of July again next year but will be staying home.

If you don't mind dogs hair you're Welcome anytime!

bigmac
09-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Yes good points, but sh!t im still working on the urbanity thing? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanity

The opposite would be rusticity

;)

peason
09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Sent you a PM.

atlfootr
09-20-2007, 08:36 PM
anyone ever done a house swap???? for vacation i meanWhere were you think'n of vacationing?

uawaterskier
09-20-2007, 11:04 PM
how about you can come visit the university and i can go to london. Sound good?

TX.X-30 fan
09-21-2007, 12:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanity

The opposite would be rusticity

;)

:uglyhamme Very good bigmac.