PDA

View Full Version : questions about 04 X-star

blackbeauty02
09-20-2007, 01:11 AM
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/6/88910746.htm

I found the above boat on boat trader online and am really considering making an offer. But I was kind of thinking the price was a little low? Is it? I have a few other boats that I am looking at in the same price range (that I cannot put on here as they are not MC's...but if you can send me an email at tenderlawncare@cox.net I'll send you the links as I would like to have some input from a knowledgable person).

What do you think about the boat. I've tried contacting the seller two days no via internet so I'm going to call the million different numbers they have listed tomorrow. I'll be in TX the next three weekends and am going to try and stop by and look at it and possibly test drive it.

Also, my friend told me to go ahead and wait another two months for prices to drop. You dealership guys (or others), do the prices really drop dramatically when winter sets in or is it an urban myth?

Thanks a million.

erkoehler
09-20-2007, 01:16 AM
310hp engine is one of the main reasons for the lower price......just not enough power for that boat.

duckguy
09-20-2007, 03:16 AM
310 plus 04 xstar is a bastard-try to fold the tower and you will see why.

beatle78
09-20-2007, 08:35 AM
310hp engine is one of the main reasons for the lower price......just not enough power for that boat.

Couldn't he reprop it with one of the new 14.25 props and be ok?

swchopper
09-20-2007, 10:36 AM
You probably could prop it with the new OJ XMP edge prop. But depending on your lake elevation.....
Price is low because of motor. I have X-Star with 450 hp motor. Im at high elevation, but I cant even imagine only having 310 HP. Your resale value would be HORRIBLE:( Hence the low price right now!
Pass on this one!

beatle78
09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
hmmmm.......

just out of curiosity, how much would this boat be worth with a bigger engine?

Now, how much would it cost for a bigger engine from Indmar? Is it just a drop in replacement or do motor mounts and other things need to be changed? MCU?

Just trying to think out loud here for our fellow TT'er whose been without a boat for awhile :(

Do those numbers work?

3event
09-20-2007, 11:19 AM
further to Beatle's thoughts.....

Engine swap would be pricey. What aftermarket mods could you make to bump HP? Maybe not so complicated as a supercharger. Polished exhaust manifolds? After that take a look at propping.

There are many XStars with MCX, and I've seen lots of commentary that the low end torque on the 310 and MCX very similar, it's in the higher rpm ranges that you find a difference.

Am I all wet?

Either way, if you intend to keep for a year or few, you would still have this resale problem even if you were happy with the boat. If you want a boat for the long haul, evaluate the cost of "modifications" + attractive price.....

erkoehler
09-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Even if you modify the engine to make more power, when you resell it the engine is still the 310hp engine. Your going to loose whatever money you put into it.

blackbeauty02
09-20-2007, 04:40 PM
hmmm...so if I were to find this boat with the bigger engine how much would it cost? I really like the fork nose on this boat. Is the 310 hp really that bad? I had a Prostar 205 that had only 280 hp and it felt like it did fine.

Willytown
09-20-2007, 04:58 PM
This boat with a mcx would probably list 45-50k

Sodar
09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Even with the 310, it seems like a great deal. I mean look at this... the same boat for $61k(http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1525&cat=6)... seems like for $23k, you could throw an LQ-9 in the boat and still be ahead!!

blackbeauty02
09-20-2007, 08:00 PM
an engine is $15k extra? I think I could live with the 310hp for the price. I'm not pulling fatty's out of the water. Just me and my buck-fifty friends.

P.S. I finally got a hold of the dealer and it is sold. Got a couple of VLX's and SSV's I'm looking at now.

KJAECKIN
09-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Check the hours on the boat also. It could have high hours.

PendO
09-20-2007, 08:16 PM
hmmm...so if I were to find this boat with the bigger engine how much would it cost? I really like the fork nose on this boat. Is the 310 hp really that bad? I had a Prostar 205 that had only 280 hp and it felt like it did fine.

first, what is your operating elevation ... second, do a search on the L-18 or 8.1 ... usually when it is cold as hell in the wintertime we start a thread about how usesless small engines are in big boats ... but if you want the cliffs notes version, at 2062 ft of elevation with an 04 X-star I wouldn't want any smaller engine ... but hey, there is a prom date for everyone ... just leave the little engines for the little boats ...

swchopper
09-20-2007, 11:22 PM
8.1L engine is a $12k option........

Carbon Dreams
09-21-2007, 12:02 AM
OK, I agree with big power in big boats but... My 350 hp MCX powered X-45 with full factory ballast, 350lb port fat sac. 800lb fat sac plus people will get out of the hole and plane. With no ballast and full people (10-12 bodies), my limit not the boat's, operates normally. The majority of the time I operate below 30 mph. We don't ski anymore and wakeboarding is as fast as we go while being towed. If all you do is cruise, then yes the bigger engines make a world of sense. If not, you can be very satisfied with the smaller engines and the right prop. A 12K premium for the L-18 is a couple summers worth of gas and fun.

BTW: I operate between 2700ft and 4500ft normally with a couple excursions above the 5000ft level.

Jerseydave
09-21-2007, 08:59 AM
At that price, that boat was a good value for the right person. With a prop change, the 310 HP would be okay as long as you don't add alot of extra ballast and people. But, better hold on to it for a long time, as most buyers would want at least the MCX engine.

beatle78
09-21-2007, 09:00 AM
an engine is $15k extra? I think I could live with the 310hp for the price. I'm not pulling fatty's out of the water. Just me and my buck-fifty friends.

P.S. I finally got a hold of the dealer and it is sold. Got a couple of VLX's and SSV's I'm looking at now.

I rode behind ~2003-2004 VLX in GA a few months ago and the wake was SWEET w/ about 1500 lobs of ballast and the wedge down....

however, I landed in "the trough" of the wake and it knocked me senseless.

I know the Older Air Nautique 210s were known for having a bad trough, but I didn't realize the VLX has them too.

To be honest with you, I don't recall any trough on the 205V and I've been riding that for an entire season.

Food for thought....