PDA

View Full Version : The I hate calculators thread

phecksel
09-19-2007, 10:20 PM
grrrr

11th advanced algebra, and we're struggling with multiplying by 10 and 100 :( Finally told her to get the GD calculator, after we got confused counting fingers. Complex stuff she gets, but simple math <sigh>...

Calculators are demon

Mag_Red
09-19-2007, 10:31 PM
grrrr

11th advanced algebra, and we're struggling with multiplying by 10 and 100 :( Finally told her to get the GD calculator, after we got confused counting fingers. Complex stuff she gets, but simple math <sigh>...

Calculators are demon I hear you! My daughter still has problems multiplying numbers in her head. What the hell are they teaching these days???:confused: On the other hand, she send out a 100 word text message in under a minute:rolleyes:

dmayer84
09-19-2007, 10:35 PM
First college I went to we could do Calc I with a calculator, when I transfered and took Calc II no calculator. It was basically like taking Calc I over again, but now I only use one when I have to, which isnt very often.

phecksel
09-19-2007, 10:53 PM
My wife is absolutely amazing with her ability to do numbers in her head. Where I will need to use a calculator, she will do it faster, and be dang close. She was a restaurant general manager and loved to count money without using a money counter. She said it was too slow :)

Sodar
09-20-2007, 12:12 AM
I hear you! My daughter still has problems multiplying numbers in her head. What the hell are they teaching these days???:confused: On the other hand, she send out a 100 word text message in under a minute:rolleyes:

That made me laugh!