PDA

View Full Version : 07 X2 questions

Roonie's
09-19-2007, 07:11 PM
I have a couple of questions for my 07 X2. First I just recieved a fake-a-lake and hooked it up for first time. I noticed a steady stream of water coming from the prop shaft where it enters the hull. I am assuming the water is for cooling the packing?? I wasn't expecting it so just curious.

Second question. I thought I read on here new boats will not clock hours at idle or until it gets above 1500 rpm. My X2 was clocking hours on the fake-a-lake even though it stayed at 600 rpm the entire time. It said I put on .2 hours. Is this normal?

Chief
09-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I have a couple of questions for my 07 X2. First I just recieved a fake-a-lake and hooked it up for first time. I noticed a steady stream of water coming from the prop shaft where it enters the hull. I am assuming the water is for cooling the packing?? I wasn't expecting it so just curious.

Second question. I thought I read on here new boats will not clock hours at idle or until it gets above 1500 rpm. My X2 was clocking hours on the fake-a-lake even though it stayed at 600 rpm the entire time. It said I put on .2 hours. Is this normal?

Cooling for the packing. As for the hours I believe it starts clocking on the gauge as soon as the key is turned on but the ECM for the motor registers the true hours when the engine is running. I'm sure someone will chime in with the straight dope on the hours if something has changed for the new boats.

P.S. Install a external flush on the transome and a perko flush pro. Makes life easy.

Sodar
09-19-2007, 07:49 PM
In the manual, it states that engine hours will be clocked for any RPM's greater than 300.

Roonie's
09-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the responses. One more observation. When I first started it up with the fake-a-lake I noticed a lot of rust come out of the exhaust mixed with water. I thought the internal components would have been coated with something to prevent rust. Any thoughts on this?

Chief
09-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the responses. One more observation. When I first started it up with the fake-a-lake I noticed a lot of rust come out of the exhaust mixed with water. I thought the internal components would have been coated with something to prevent rust. Any thoughts on this?

Nope cast iron rust pretty easy. Are you running in salt or brackish? Flushing everytime after use? Boat sitting for long period of time? I have never seen rust come out of my engine but I mostly run fresh water, but when I do run in brackish I use "salt away" after about 5 min of fresh water flushing. It is suppose to help prevent rust but cast iron is cast iron.

Also with the exhaust risers they need to be drained or flushed flushed flushed real well to prevent electrolysis because the hole for casting is sealed with another type of metal and if you run in salt then with the different types of metal with salt mixed in, you pretty much have a battery and corrosion is happening. (That's how it was explained to me)

P.S Get rid of the fake a lake and at a minimum install a perko pro flush.

Roonie's
09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Not even close to salt water as I am in Minnesota. Always been in fresh water lakes. The boat had sat for about two weeks without being used prior to me using the fake-a-lake. It just seemed like a lot of rust for fresh water. When I say a lot I mean about the first 10 seconds the water comes out rust colored out of the exhaust. It is still new and has about 39 hours on it so far. Just wanted to see if this was a normal thing as it is the first time I have used the fake-a-lake as stated above.