PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Issue 2002 X Star

Rollensteel
09-19-2007, 11:04 AM
:confused: 2002 X Star. When I flip the switches to start the ballast I never know if both will come on or one or none. Then if I drive around for a while they may start working. Is there a reset switch? What can I look into to help solve this issue? thanks

fintek9
09-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Not sure of the 02 but my 01 x-star has push reset buttons right below the switches! are your switch light coming on? my switches have light indicators on the switch themselves that show me they are flipped on or off, filling or emptying! You might want to take a look at the pumps themselves! your impellers in the pumps might be shot, they do ware out

Rollensteel
09-19-2007, 12:57 PM
The lights come on but the motors will not run. Then another times the motors will run and fill and the lights are on. It seems hit or miss.

fintek9
09-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Try cleaning "ALL" contacts, unplug anything involved to the switches and pumps and scrape them clean with light sanding or the such. Start at pumps and work your way up, take pumps apart first time see if any obstructions! debris gets picked up, pumps should be pretty easy! (Would'nt hurt) then follow all contacts to the switches! Good luck.

Willytown
09-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Check all electrical connections including the switches, pumps and also the battery.

fintek9
09-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Reason why I'm at the contacts is I had the same situation the spring, The starboard side pump would fill when it wanted to! The port never seemed to have a problem. also my port side would always fill up to 5 minutes faster, taking my pumps apart I found debris and harness on the impellers so by next season I will replace all impellers with new upgraded ones, I believe they are "blue" or "Yellow" ones, have to look back through threads to find witch is witch? My center bag has always been good but it won't hurt to do also!

NeilM
09-19-2007, 01:59 PM
1) Some people have run heavier gauge wire to the pumps. The wire is awful light for the distance it has to go. (That's on my list of projects). [This doesn't substitute for the advice to make sure all contacts are clean.]

2) The pumps eventually get weak.. If you're on your original set in a 2002, you're doing great. I've had all of my pump motors replaced or rebuilt at least once. ( I have 630 hours on our 2002)..
... interestingly, the pump motors (2) I have had rebuilt are stronger than the one I had replaced. The one I had replaced is going to go in for a rebuild over the winter because it's getting weak.

3) Fintek - You're right about the yellow impellers helping a lot. Replace them if they're more than a year old.

4) Run one pump at a time.

... hope this helps...

fintek9
09-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Yellow, I knew one of them colors just could'nt remember which! One pump at a time? never heard this, MAN it would take 30 plus mins to fill up my tanks and bag! Do like the heavier gauge wire though!

NeilM
09-21-2007, 10:09 AM
ok.. start one pump, then another. don't run more than 2 at a time.