PDA

View Full Version : Bell shaped part above oil filter '02 xstar 310 hp

Rollensteel
09-18-2007, 05:07 PM
What is the bell shaped part screwed into the side of the motor just above the oil filter? I have a '02 X star with a 310 motor. There is a blue wire that is attached to the end of the part. I can see a little oil leaking from the fitting and would like to fix it. Is it a two part fitting / how do I go about taking it off? Thanks

JimN
09-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Is it a light blue wire? Got a photo? Sounds like the oil pressure sender. Snug it up and wipe the oil off.

Rollensteel
09-18-2007, 06:24 PM
What is the bell shaped part screwed into the side of the motor just above the oil filter? I have a '02 X star with a 310 motor. There is a blue wire that is attached to the end of the part. I can see a little oil leaking from the fitting and would like to fix it. Is it a two part fitting / how do I go about taking it off? Thanks

I have added the photos of the part. What tool would you use to get in there? What is the unattached tan and blue wire for?

JimN
09-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Grab the rubber right angle end, slide it off and use an adjustable wrench or slip joint pliers. If you have 12 point sockets, that will work, too. Don't go nuts when you tighten this. Remove it first and inspect the thread. If it has Teflon tape, replace that with new and make sure the hole in the end isn't covered by the tape.

rektek
09-18-2007, 09:29 PM
this sensor needs to have a proper ground to the engine. Teflon can become a insulator and more trouble than it's worth.

the block connection has a brass taper fitting. clean and snug or replace it. skip the teflon

:D cheers

JimN
09-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Good point- might be why some people had low oil pressure indication.

Rollensteel
09-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Should I do this during my oil change as to not have oil oozing out of the connection?
That brass fitting on end of the oil pressure sensor is what I loosen and tighten the part with? Not the nut between the engine and the part on picture #2?
Thanks

viabill
09-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Use the wrench on nut closest to the bell-shaped housing. That will ensure that both sets of threads get tightened. Be careful not to put too much torque on it, though, as the threads are brass which is relatively soft. If you can get a 6-inch long wrench on it, use one hand to tighten it and that should be enough. Just don't use pliers or anything on the housing. It will dent and the sender is trashed.

Rollensteel
09-20-2007, 07:56 AM
I tried tightening the closest nut but it only made the situation worse. Ended up taking the oil sensor off and then the fitting that screws into the engine off. I used Teflon tape (very little) on the treads when I put the parts back on. NO LEAK and no loss of oil pressure signal. Thanks for everyone’s help and impute.