PDA

View Full Version : any 5.7l/350cui engine?

Boogieman
09-18-2007, 04:12 PM
ok . . my engine is gone . . now . . does any 350cui / 5.7L V8 fit into my MC? . . I'm just gonna change the engine block . . since the rest is fine . . are there differences between car and boat engines?

thanks . .

Jesus_Freak
09-20-2007, 04:15 AM
Until someone with more knowledge than I on this subject chimes in, I think the block will be absolutely the same (for a given year, of course). Companies like Indmar take automotive engines and modify them to make them boat friendly.

KHall
09-20-2007, 05:59 AM
Blocks are basically the same:
1) The cam is different.
2) Some corrosion protection is done, freeze plugs might be different material.
Maybe some more.

CRAIGTHEMAN
09-23-2007, 05:49 AM
alot of people don't know this but most marine blocks are interaly balanced..they are made at take those hight r's for a long peiord of time.thats y they r so tought.. but khall has a good point too...marine engines are usally rust protected and also they usally have a maire cam running in them

bigmac
09-23-2007, 07:24 AM
alot of people don't know this but most marine blocks are interaly balanced..they are made at take those hight r's for a long peiord of time.thats y they r so tought.. but khall has a good point too...marine engines are usally rust protected and also they usally have a maire cam running in them

No offense meant, but that's a barely intelligible post. Maybe it's just me, but I need spelling, punctuation and sentence structure in order to understand what someone's writing about.

TMCNo1
09-23-2007, 07:57 AM
No offense meant, but that's a barely intelligible post. Maybe it's just me, but I need spelling, punctuation and sentence structure in order to understand what someone's writing about.

Yea, I thought I was drunk, but wasn't drinking!

Boogieman
09-24-2007, 05:39 AM
so . . I would have to look for a marine engine then?

André
09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
ok . . my engine is gone . .

Where?
Whats so bad that it can't be repair?
Those are pretty tough engines...

Boogieman
09-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm not entirely sure yet . . but the engine stopped with a big "bang" and one of the plugs looks like someone chewed on it . . . and the engine doesn't turn over anymore . .

so I'm just checking my alternatives . . I will have to take the head off first . . but I'm pessimistic

Chas
09-24-2007, 08:21 PM
If a piston broke - which is what I'm betting on - or a valve dropped - another possibility - you will need to do a complete rebuild including heads.

Strip it yourself, remove it yourself, but be sure to get a marine longblock if that is the way you choose to go. Otherwise, take what's left to a machine shop and get some bids to rebuild what you have.

Marine cranks used to be much tougher/heavier. I don't know if that is true nowadays with the Vortec etc. Also, balance is an issue as was mentioned above, and the core plugs should be brass/bronze. This is true of any plugs - not just the core plugs but any threaded plugs in oil galleries or other passages.

Jesus_Freak
09-25-2007, 06:24 AM
I just found a crack in my block and may have to end up finding a block sometime. I cannot see if your original question has been answered. I know the parts are different, but are the BLOCKS the same?

Storm861triple
09-26-2007, 04:18 PM
None of this post was true or accurate.

Storm861triple
09-26-2007, 04:19 PM
so . . I would have to look for a marine engine then?
No. Get any Chevy 350 engine, and install brass freeze plugs. Then install all of the Indmar peripheral stuff (accessories, plumbing, etc), and you have a "marine" engine.

Storm861triple
09-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Marine cranks used to be much tougher/heavier. I don't know if that is true nowadays with the Vortec etc. Also, balance is an issue as was mentioned above, and ...any threaded plugs in oil galleries or other passages.
None of that was true either. There is nothing "special", "heavier", or "magical" about a "marine engine", other than the name/term applied to it and the brass freeze plugs...especially a Chevy.

Storm861triple
09-26-2007, 04:26 PM
but are the BLOCKS the same?
The blocks are the same, as are most if not all the parts of the "long block".