PDA

View Full Version : New Trailer (Woops) - Update

lawless1
09-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Well, it looks like the insurance company is buying me a new trailer after the wheel mishap. Off to make the deposit today. I still cannot believe the cost of a replacement trailer for my 2000 210.

lawless1
09-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Okay, this is getting frustrating. I just want this resolved!

I received a quote for a new MC trailer from my local dealer and now just got a call that they cannot get the trailer because MC no longer makes or will make trailers for my boat (2000 Maristar 210 VRS).

Rant, foot stomp, etc.

erkoehler
09-24-2007, 03:10 PM
We have a used 210 trailer (white) at Chicago MasterCraft.

lawless1
09-24-2007, 05:13 PM
We have a used 210 trailer (white) at Chicago MasterCraft.

Thanks erkoehler. PM me the particulars.

Diesel
09-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks erkoehler. PM me the particulars.

Try this place and you will have a much better trailer.......

http://www.trailersbydorsey.com/

east tx skier
09-24-2007, 05:16 PM
The folks at Dorsey are great to work with. Jeff in the parts end of things is as nice of a person as you'd ever want to meet.

Diesel
09-24-2007, 05:36 PM
The folks at Dorsey are great to work with. Jeff in the parts end of things is as nice of a person as you'd ever want to meet.

Sums up the entire organization. Dorsey himself puts a lot of pride and passion into his product.

I will never own another brand of boat trailer.

lawless1
09-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks eastie and diesel. I am also looking at a company that supplies a large MC dealer (Cope & McPhetres Marine; 7 locations) on this side of the country - Sport Boat Trailers (I think). I also contacted Extreme. They make a beautiful trailer but they are very expensive and may not be able to justify that one to the insurance company.

east tx skier
09-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Dorsey's trailers are not exactly cheap. But if you ever need parts, their prices can't be beat (seriously). My local dealer won't even sell trailer parts because there's literally no room for profit when you can just order them from Dorsey.

Chas
09-24-2007, 06:55 PM
What was the original problem/accident like?

I couldn't find you in 'search' - a link to the thread please?

Just a nosey guy, I guess.

lawless1
09-24-2007, 07:03 PM
What was the original problem/accident like?

I couldn't find you in 'search' - a link to the thread please?

Just a nosey guy, I guess.

Similar to the wheel dismount at 55 post, except I lost my wheel at 25 mph.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19052&highlight=trailer

Farmer Ted
09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
I was quoted $4,700 for a Dorsey, tandem axle, break away tongue, cheap wheels, cheap lights, plain white paint,

This is for a 98 PS 190, so I would assume it would be a tad bit more for a 210

If you get a high quote on a good trailer, maybe you can just pay the difference out of pocket?

east tx skier
09-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Is that recently, Farmer? I thought a Tandem would've gone for $5,500 (at least last I asked).

Farmer Ted
09-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Is that recently, Farmer? I thought a Tandem would've gone for $5,500 (at least last I asked).

5 September 2007

This would have been a pick up at the factory too, guy never emailed me back after I asked if he could give me a military discount.

east tx skier
09-24-2007, 10:50 PM
That's surprising. They've always been pretty good about calling me back, even about little stuff. I've only emailed them about something once though. Just too easy to get them on the phone (except during lunch).

Why are you looking for a new trailer? The blowouts?

Farmer Ted
09-24-2007, 10:58 PM
That's surprising. They've always been pretty good about calling me back, even about little stuff. I've only emailed them about something once though. Just too easy to get them on the phone (except during lunch).

Why are you looking for a new trailer? The blowouts?

it was a dealer in the DFW area, I guess he got insulted when I asked for a discount

whatever

I was looking for a trailer because mine was about to break in half

when the hole was cut out of the bottom side of the left tube, it was done with a blow tourch and not very neatly and certainly not up to any acceptable standards of engineering

since the cut out was 3/8" away from the radius of the tube, the tube cracked, the only way I discovered it was when I was checking the tire that did not blow out

since I've found a home away from home to keep the cruiser I've had the opportunity to get new tires and just today I took it to town and got the trailer fixed, once I get the boat on a lift I'm going to refurb the trailer and hopefully won't find any more short bus engineering

I would like a tandem axle trailer for the long hauls we make but I'm not sinking any more money into this boat other than Perfect Pass or Zero Off if they ever come out with a mechanical system

east tx skier
09-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Go directly to Dorsey next time. Jeff, in the parts dept. there is great to deal with. Their parts prices are great and will cross with pretty much anything on your MC trailer.

So refresh my recollection ... why was someone cutting into the tube?

Farmer Ted
09-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Go directly to Dorsey next time. Jeff, in the parts dept. there is great to deal with. Their parts prices are great and will cross with pretty much anything on your MC trailer.

So refresh my recollection ... why was someone cutting into the tube?

they don't sell trailers direct, you must go through a dealer, it is possible to do a factory pick-up though

lawless1
09-26-2007, 03:54 PM
I just found out that there are a couple of different recalls relating to my year of boat trailer. The recalls also relate to the very problem that happened to me.

I lost lugs and the leaf springs broke. The insurance company was unable to determine which occurred first - lost wheel or broken springs.

I have a call into MC regarding this.

beatle78
09-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I just found out that there are a couple of different recalls relating to my year of boat trailer. The recalls also relate to the very problem that happened to me.

I lost lugs and the leaf springs broke. The insurance company was unable to determine which occurred first - lost wheel or broken springs.

I have a call into MC regarding this.

So what kind of prices are you finding on boat trailders?

east tx skier
09-26-2007, 04:12 PM
they don't sell trailers direct, you must go through a dealer, it is possible to do a factory pick-up though

Gotcha. They do sell parts direct though.

jraben8
09-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I didn't even notice this thread until flipping through their parts pdf looking a new drums for mine. Another flat on the right side. A 1 inch cut in the middle of the tread from moving over and letting a motorcycle pass. (last time I do that!) Noticed that hub was hot and I repacked bearings in June.

lawless1
09-26-2007, 08:28 PM
So what kind of prices are you finding on boat trailders?

Here is what I have so far:

$4700 (to Seattle) for tandem from Sport Boat with LED lights, swing tongue, custom wheels. Not sure if this included tax.

$6500 for single axle from MC with standard features and delivered to Spokane, but now they are saying MC cannot provide this trailer.

$5100 for tandem from Extreme without options or delivery.

I am waiting on a response from MC on the recall and inability to produce issues

CottagerGreg
09-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Try calling Buckeye Marine in Bobcaygeon, Ontario.
They get shorelander to make trailers for alot of their MC's due to attractive pricing.

1-877-811-2628 or 705-738-0925

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v97/79/124/589082552/n589082552_102311_3846.jpg

lawless1
11-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Well, the new trailer finally arrived. I ended up getting a tandem trailer from Sport Boat Trailer and am very pleased.

Now the fun part. A local marina (not MC b/c MC couldn't do it) is coming to my house to put a temporary hub and wheel on my busted up trailer, jack/lift the boat, pull the old trailer out and set the boat on my new trailer.

Oh, did i mention that this will be done outside and that we have a little snow on the ground.

Should be interesting. I'll try to get pics - we all know how everyone loves pics.

rick s.
11-28-2007, 07:31 PM
I have a sport boat trailer for my x45 and I like it. I think you done rite.

Prior boat was a 99 maristar 210, the leaf spring broke about a half mile from the launch ramp. Course, the trailer fender sat on the tire creating a huge billow of smoke. Don't know just what I would have done if I was only half way to the lake....