PDA

View Full Version : Can I add a tower to an older Stars and Stripes?

Chas
09-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Should I?

I have a 1976 Stars and Stripes and I would like to put a tower on it for wakeboarding. I also want to incorporate a Bimini. My first question is:

Will this boat handle a tower? My boat is not in 'show' condition, I am freshening it up and focusing on the 'go' part of it. But I don't want to spend the money on a tower if it can't be mounted right or if there is some other reason not to put it on a boat of this vintage and type.

And if it will work with a tower, which brand/type have you had good results with?

Thanks in advance.

east tx skier
09-18-2007, 12:12 PM
I've seen plenty of older boats with towers. I'm sure some sort of reinforcement to the underside of the deck is recommended though.

BrianM
09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Should I?

I have a 1976 Stars and Stripes and I would like to put a tower on it for wakeboarding. I also want to incorporate a Bimini. My first question is:

Will this boat handle a tower? My boat is not in 'show' condition, I am freshening it up and focusing on the 'go' part of it. But I don't want to spend the money on a tower if it can't be mounted right or if there is some other reason not to put it on a boat of this vintage and type.

And if it will work with a tower, which brand/type have you had good results with?

Thanks in advance.
Should you?....NO

Could you?.....Yes but you will have to do the work necessary to reinforce the deck so it can withstand the force of the tower at the mounting points.

I sure wouldn't do that to a vintage S&S. Buy yourself a nice extended pylon with racks. Serves the same purpose but isn't permenant :twocents:

east tx skier
09-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Should you?....NO

We're a dying breed, Brian.

G-man
09-18-2007, 12:49 PM
No way

I seriously doubt the deck or any of us here could take the stress

M-Funf
09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
We're a dying breed, Brian.

+1.

Chas, I'm with Brian. I'd go with an extended pylon for wakeboarding. You could put a board rack on it as well. It will be a much easier and cheaper solution. They work just as well as a tower, IMO.

76S&S
09-18-2007, 02:02 PM
I have the same boat and wouldn't do it. The deck wouldn't take the stress without some serious strengthening.