PDA

View Full Version : $torage and Winterization Cost

PendO
09-18-2007, 12:29 AM
So, I checked on storage and winterization costs ... comparing the old MC dealer in town with the new MC dealer in town

One will winterize my 197 for $155 or so (includes oil change) , with $75 to summerize, and store it for just under $70 a month (indoor in a warehouse) ... the other $275 (winterize/summerize) and an additional $100 to winterize the ballast system ... and $200 a month for storage

for an Xstar they want $425 to winterize/summerize (including the ballast), and still $200 a month to store the boat

I called back to make sure they were not quoting me the seasonal storage rate ... maybe we are just used to cheap storage, what do you guys pay around the country?

I think I need to rent out my 3 car garage that would be a good way to make $3600 bucks this winter

needless to say, I'll stick with the dealer who sold us our MC's ... I used to winterize my older 190, but since I still make a boat payment I want the reassureance that it is not going to crack over the winter:)

cbryan70
09-18-2007, 12:44 AM
im paying 200 for the whole winter...6 months or so indoor just not heated

east tx skier
09-18-2007, 01:02 AM
The one time I had my dealer winterize, it was $175, which included oil, transmission, and impeller change. $35 to dewinterize. Local storage (not at a dealer), covered, but not indoors, is $75 per month.

Maristar210
09-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Pendo,

I paid $600 for a complete winterization, summerization and storage for 5 months.

Roonie's
09-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Looks like they are trying to pay for their new place. I went in about a month ago and checked it out. Love all the windows and the freeway location.

Prostar Rich
09-18-2007, 11:44 AM
You would be far better off to winterize the boat yourself. I winterize my own boat far better than any dealer would do and I know that the job was done right.

As far as storage goes I have found that an independant storage faciltity is usually cheaper than a marina. My lake house is in southern WI and I pay $250.00 for my Prostar for 7 months of storage. The storage building has a concrete floor but no heat.

Prostar Rich

Cousin_Jeff
09-18-2007, 12:03 PM
I recognize that every dealer is their own entity and can charge what they want. I would however think that they would at least be in the same ballpark on service prices.

Last year to winterize, change the oil, change the transmission fluid was a grand total of $457.53.

What I don't get is why they don't have a package deal like you do for your car. Wouldn't it make sense to have a "year end" service that winterizes and changes the oil?

The old dealer used to do the same service for about $300.

So you either have to do it yourself or go to the only game in town (which is over 1hour away from me) and pay whatever they want you to pay.

east tx skier
09-18-2007, 12:15 PM
You would be far better off to winterize the boat yourself. I winterize my own boat far better than any dealer would do and I know that the job was done right.

I agree. Not only will you save some money and get to know the boat better, but when spring rolls around and you're ready to hit the water, you won't have to wait in line to get your boat dewinterized. That was my main motivation to start doing it myself a few years ago.

PendO
09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
I agree. Not only will you save some money and get to know the boat better, but when spring rolls around and you're ready to hit the water, you won't have to wait in line to get your boat dewinterized. That was my main motivation to start doing it myself a few years ago.

I'll winterize it myself and make a youtube video, but I need someone to talk me though it so I'm sure I do it right

Prostar Rich
09-18-2007, 01:14 PM

All good points and consider the cost savings:

Fogging oil $4.50 (I use Marvels Mystery Oil)
Stabil $8.00
5 quarts oil & filter $15.00
1 gal RV antifreeze $3.50

Total cost $31.00 *to winterize a prostar 190*

Add in the cost of a couple of quarts of trans fluid & moth balls if so desired. Don't get me wrong that I don't mind spending the $$ if I have to however I despise throwing $$ away for something that I can do and know that it's done right. You wouldn't believe how many times I have seen boats come back after being serviced and the oil is over filled, the oil filter was tightend beyond belief, impeller wasn't removed for storage etc.

To have the marina charge for summerization is a joke. Do it yourself trust me when I say that you will be far better off.

Prostar Rich

Leroy
09-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Ditto! Nice to feel like you have a tank of gas or two for your effort plus around here you might go out and need to drain on each end of the season.

Roonie's
09-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I would be interested in the youtube video. I too want to start doing my own winterization. No one has covered ballast tanks winterization in depth yet either. This year the dealer will do it since they have to install a few things at that time and it is still brand new. In the future I would like too. Just don't want to screw anything up.

I had an I/O that I did every year but all it consisted of was pulling the plugs and fogging cylinders. Adding stabil and disconnecting battery and unscrewing water cooling system covers to drain water. It took all of 10 minutes and worked for 15 years of owning the boat.

east tx skier
09-18-2007, 01:23 PM
To have the marina charge for summerization is a joke. Do it yourself trust me when I say that you will be far better off.

Prostar Rich

If I didn't winterize it though, I don't know what they did and what needed to be undone. Or at least that's how I felt at the time.

I'd add to those costs ... new impeller, new fuel filter(s), new spark plugs and a few other things I'm forgetting. I've merged a ton of annual maintenance (be it done in spring or fall) under the heading "Winterization" at this point. I think the rough cost all things considered is about $75 for me. Of course, I'm probably remembering the teak oil and carb cleaner (for the flame arrestor) I bought one year. So it may be a little less on average.

dpolen
09-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I think my dealer quoted me charges of $300+ for this year...storage is $250 indoors through May. Cleaning the dingy will be another hefty bill, but I just don't have time to do it myself this year.

etakk7
09-18-2007, 04:44 PM
what exactly does summarization entail besides re-installing the impeller and connecting any hoses?

Prostar Rich
09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
what exactly does summarization entail besides re-installing the impeller and connecting any hoses?

Depends on how the dealer winterized the boat. I have seen dealers who just drain the block and don't use antifreze. Same thing goes for the impeller where I have seen dealers who don't remove the impeller. If the winterization was done in that manner they just need to reinstall all drain plugs & hook up the battery and fire the boat. This method is a sure fire way of wearing out the impeller prematurely.

If they used antifreeze the drain plugs would already be installed. It's always a good idea to actually remove the peacocks on the block when draining to ensure there is no blockage in the block and the water flows out freely. In addition, I would loosen up the alternator so there is no stress on the raw water pump during extended lay up.

Prostar Rich

TRBenj
09-18-2007, 05:02 PM
1 gal RV antifreeze $3.50
What motor do you have? My 351w takes about 3 gallons of antifreeze to fill the block and manifolds.

wakolman
09-18-2007, 06:22 PM
The winterization at the local dealer here is $250. Then add $125 for oil change and $160 for transmission flush.

I called another dealer and it was 254.95 for winterization, oil change, and trans. flush. I knew the local prices seemed way out of line and I was getting ready to do it myself. I could store it in an outbuilding (gravel/dirt floor) for $125 for the winter. I might just leave it our garage.

mccobmd
09-18-2007, 07:29 PM
My dealer charges about $350 for winterization but no charge for de-winterization, I'd like to do it myself but if the dealership screws up I won't have to listen to my wife say I told you so. That's cheap enough just for that insurance.

WESSTAR
09-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Indoor storage in north Cal is around 150 a month I have see it as high as 200. That is for an XStar the charge by the foot.

3event
10-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Ran across this apparently comprehensive article on winterizing, looks like a pretty good instruction manual to me. Anyone see anything missing?

http://www.wakeboardnj.com/docs/winterization/winterize.htm

Might be a good place to start for a video tutorial. I just paid my winterizing bill, so now I'm thinking harder about planning ahead for next fall.

Roonie's
10-03-2007, 04:58 PM
My dealer charges $420 to winterize including ballast tanks. That doesn't include impellor replacement which would have bumped it to $580 for winterization. No impellor this year because it is new and few hours on it. I would like to learn how to winterize myself!!!

erkoehler
10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
$26 per foot for winter storage from now until April 1, 2008.

TX.X-30 fan
10-03-2007, 09:22 PM
What is this winterizing all of you speak of? :confused: How on earth could you go boarding Thanksgiving, X-Mas, New Years, Presidents Day, St Patrick's, Easter.......... :confused: I thought winterizing was a shop light in the engine compartment?

:wavey: :dance:

dpolen
10-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Winterization sucks!!!! I'm ready for spring/summer already.

Witness140
10-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Here's the 2009 pricing from my dealer.

Winterize engine - $170 plus materials
Winterize ballast - $150
Oil Filter / Fuel Filter $85 plus materials
Tranny Oil Change $60 plus materials
Winterize heater/shower - $75

Total for my boat would be $540 plus tax

Storage requires shrink wrap, which would be another $250
Storage outside would then be $560, plus tax of course.

An acid powerwash is $180

All together, a full service hands off winterization with storage would cost $1530 plus tax and materials.

Thrall
10-07-2009, 05:04 PM
My dealer charges $420 to winterize including ballast tanks. That doesn't include impellor replacement which would have bumped it to $580 for winterization. No impellor this year because it is new and few hours on it. I would like to learn how to winterize myself!!!

It's really pretty simple. Most technical difficulty is changing the oil!
Like etx said, you get to know your boat a whole lot better. This being the first winterization on the X2, it took me longer because the po wasn't real keen on cleaning, so I was shining up/cleaning everything while I was in there.
Looking around the engine compartment, you'll likely find wires or hoses that need to be tied up or moved so they're not rubbing on moving parts. Missing screw or 2. All the hose clamps needed to be tightened, etc. All in all it took me about 5hrs incl changing trans oil, engine oil/filter, drain all water out of engine/hoses/etc, adding antifreeze to teh ballast system, and replacing a broken switch on the dash. Just doing the winterizing basics, 2-3hrs.
I may be cheap that I'm willing to pony up $40k for a boat and won't pay someone to maintain it, but bottom line is, it saved a lot of money and it was done right. I don't trust anyone to work on my stuff unless I have to. Had too many mechanics goof stuff up on my company trucks over the years...won't chance it with my own vehicles.
Oh, CHANGE YOUR IMPELLER, or at least pull it out and inspect it. Thought the same about my 190 this year, only 30-40hrs on it, new one installed in the spring, it's up for sale.....pulled it out anyway and it was missing one whole vane. Maybe happened 30 hrs ago, maybe on the last trip, who knows. Cheap insurance on an expensive toy!
I can walk you through the winterization if you want.

johny123
10-07-2009, 05:32 PM
"I can walk you through the winterization if you want. "

i want, please

we've got a 2000 prostar 195 w 350tbi engine

thanks for any help!

bbymgr
10-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Here's the 2009 pricing from my dealer.

Winterize engine - $170 plus materials
Winterize ballast - $150
Oil Filter / Fuel Filter $85 plus materials
Tranny Oil Change $60 plus materials
Winterize heater/shower - $75

Total for my boat would be $540 plus tax

Storage requires shrink wrap, which would be another $250
Storage outside would then be $560, plus tax of course.

An acid powerwash is $180

All together, a full service hands off winterization with storage would cost $1530 plus tax and materials.

My dealer only charges $19 per ballast tank.

Miss Rita
10-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Oil: Rotella 15w-40 - $12.50
Filter (Motorcraft) 4.00
fogging oil 2.00
Stabil 8 oz 4.00
total 22.50

satisfaction of doing the job right - priceless!

Thrall
10-07-2009, 07:46 PM
"I can walk you through the winterization if you want. "

i want, please

we've got a 2000 prostar 195 w 350tbi engine

thanks for any help!

And Teal98......

First, read up in the WInterization section and the FAQ's on top of this section. There's alot of info and a couple of comprehensive write ups.
Steps for the PS 195 and Teals '98.
1. Stabilize fuel and run the engine for a few minutes with the stabil in it to get it in the injectors, etc. you need a tee to run a hose intot he raw water line or a fake a lake.
2. Change oil (optional, but you gotta change it anyway do it now or int he spring). I use a little drill operated pump from Napa, some hardware store fittings to go from hose bib to 3/8" femaleNPT. Go hose bib to a barb with some drain hose on the other end. FInd the oil drain hose, has a brass cap, back by the trans, 3/8 fuel line rubber hose. Suck the oil out, little over a gal, replace filter.
3. Change trans oil. Use the same pump with a section of hose on each end. Stick the hose as far down in the trans as you can and suck it out, 2-3qts. Refill to full.
4. Drain all the water out of the engine. Undo 1 plug/sensor on each side of the block, middle, just above the oil pan. One side is a temp sender with a wire coming off the plug. Other side is just a plug or a petcock. Take the petcock out, sometimes they get full of cr@p and don't drain all teh way. Take the raw water pump cover off, pull impeller out (front of engine, 4 little brass screws). Drain the trans cooler on the raw water line. Pull off any other hose that looks like it could retain water. Heater, disconnect the 2 hoses from the engine, blow out all the water, add a little antifreeze to these lines as all teh water may not be out. If you have a shower, run it a little to make sure it's dry.
5. Replace fuel filters (I do this in the spring though.)
Your Prostars shouldn't have any built in ballast.

PM me with your phone #, I'll help you out if I can.

Finnsdad
10-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I found a local mechanic who worked at a marina that went out of business. He went to MMI so he is qualified. Shop rate of $40/hr. Total labor to winterize, change engine and trans oil was $60. If anyone in Central WI wants his number, let me know.

LaRue
10-08-2009, 12:22 PM
almost worth driving from Iowa for that price.
Winterization here is $200. Add...
change transmission oil etc $150
Impellar- $150- this seems like robbery to me

storgage runs anywhere from $40-$50/ month. Used to store in a awesome fairground building for $5/foot. Now i have a guy who lets me store for nothing in his three stall garage. costs me $50/year becuase i buy him and his wife a gift certificate.

Finnsdad
10-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh, and for storage I pay $60/mo for a 10x24 mini storage unit.

bturner2
10-08-2009, 12:29 PM
For heated indoor storage in Michgan from October to May I pay $375. With that they'll let me in to work on the boat once or twice as long as I don't start the boat or transfer fuel.

McFire
10-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Finnsdad - I would be interested in getting the phone number. I am just outsdie of Milwaukee, but would consider the drive.

Thanks

cbryan70
10-08-2009, 03:39 PM
anyone in illinois 16$ per foot for the winter season, outside storage, locked. Offer winterization to about 162 plus any parts needed for the motor.

davomaddo
10-09-2009, 01:29 AM
I think winterizing yourself is really good. You do learn more about your boat as mentioned above.
Each year - you will notice wear and tear, etc.

When you winterize, you can't help but clean and notice other potential issues like loose hoses, leaking heat exchangers, etc.

I also think some of the maintainance is over kill.
Some dealers recommend changing spark plugs, cap, and rotor every 100 hours...

jipster43
11-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I paid $605 for the prebuy inspection and winterization of my boat ($200 for winterization). I would have winterized the boat myself, but I haven't done that before, and I was immediately towing the boat over five mountain passes and didn't want to risk it. My only grievance is the invoice detailing the prebuy inspection and the winterization is void of ANY detail.

The prebuy indicated the cylinders were all 120, the engine alignment was good, oil good, and the switches and radio work. For $400 I, or roughly four times more than a car inspection, I expected a very formal and detailed checklist of all the items checked. The fella' on the phone said the trailer would be inspected thoroughly, but there's no mention of it on my invoice.

The winterization indicates that the engine, heater, and shower have been winterized, but that's the extent of it. I made sure they were aware that this boat would be stored in Montana over the winter where temperatures drop to 30 below, but I have no idea if that was accounted for in their winterization. And I have no idea if they did anything with the impeller.

Next year I will definitely be winterizing the beast myself!

I pay $90 a month for a 40' deep, double door storage space that also houses many of my bicycles during the winter. It's also 15 minutes closer to the water than my home, so it will be convenient when the temperatures return to less brutal extremes.

JP :)

cbryan70
11-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Just hope they used -100.......-50 will slush

TMCNo1
11-20-2009, 09:57 PM
I paid $605 for the prebuy inspection and winterization of my boat ($200 for winterization). I would have winterized the boat myself, but I haven't done that before, and I was immediately towing the boat over five mountain passes and didn't want to risk it. My only grievance is the invoice detailing the prebuy inspection and the winterization is void of ANY detail.

The prebuy indicated the cylinders were all 120, the engine alignment was good, oil good, and the switches and radio work. For $400 I, or roughly four times more than a car inspection, I expected a very formal and detailed checklist of all the items checked. The fella' on the phone said the trailer would be inspected thoroughly, but there's no mention of it on my invoice.

The winterization indicates that the engine, heater, and shower have been winterized, but that's the extent of it. I made sure they were aware that this boat would be stored in Montana over the winter where temperatures drop to 30 below, but I have no idea if that was accounted for in their winterization. And I have no idea if they did anything with the impeller.

Next year I will definitely be winterizing the beast myself!

I pay $90 a month for a 40' deep, double door storage space that also houses many of my bicycles during the winter. It's also 15 minutes closer to the water than my home, so it will be convenient when the temperatures return to less brutal extremes.

Go ahead and remove the impeller as a precaution and replace it in the Spring and keep the old one onboard as a spare if it still looks pretty good.:twocents:

TOO-TALL
11-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Impellar- $150- this seems like robbery to me

OMG!! are you kidding me thats crazy!!!.
My impeller costs about 40.00 and I install it myself new in the spring.

I paid 50.0 dollars for 6 quarts of oil a filter and 5 gallons of antifreeze at autozone.
Changed oil+filter. Winterized the motor,heater,shower and ballast myself.
Like someone else said its good to do it yourself you learn alot about your boat when you get in there.

jipster43
11-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks Harold!