PDA

View Full Version : Rub Rail and Steering Cable

lanier92prostar
09-17-2007, 10:14 PM
After reading an earlier thread about steering cables, I am going to replace mine in my 92 Prostar 190. Where do I get the part? From MC? Also, how difficult is it to replace?
Also, I noticed this past weekend that the black rub rail is coming loose on 1 side. How difficult is it to fix?
Any help with these 2 matters would be greatly appreciated.

6ballsisall
09-17-2007, 10:19 PM
MC dealer can get you a steering cable. I would guess Skidim also stocks them as well. It's not a hard job, just a pain in the butt because of the location and how you have to contort your body to get down there to work on the boat.

Is the rub rail frame coming loose or is it the plastic insert that is coming out?

BTW, what part of Lanier to you boat on? I live in Cumming.

lanier92prostar
09-17-2007, 10:23 PM
The frame is coming loose. I used to ski in the back of 6 mile until, now we go up to duckett mill where a friend has a dock. Thanks for your reply.

TMCNo1
09-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Rub rail info, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=407765&postcount=3

pkskier
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I replaced the steering cable on my '87 the week before labor day. Bought it from skidim, not that difficult I removed all the floor panels which made it easy to route through the boat.

lanier92prostar
09-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the input. I will be working on both in the offseason.

85S&S_Keuka
09-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I replaced the steering cable on my '87 the week before labor day. Bought it from skidim, not that difficult I removed all the floor panels which made it easy to route through the boat.

I've done this before by tying an old ski rope to the rudder end of the cable before pulling it out. Then just attach the new cable to the rope and pull back through. I think its a lot easier than removing all the floor panels (although you probably need to remove the rear one anyway just to get access.