PDA

View Full Version : which transmission?

cdstukey
09-17-2007, 10:41 PM
How do you tell which transmission is in your boat? I've got a '01 190 with the LTR engine. No idea what the transmission is. :confused:

east tx skier
09-18-2007, 01:05 AM
What size is the prop (look on the hub). If 13x13x1 or similar, it's a 1:1.

You can also look at the tag on the transmission.

voegi
09-18-2007, 05:04 AM
...referring to the "transmission question":

There is a motor option where you can choose the MCX motor with 1:1 (lower price) or with 1:1,26 (or similar, higher price).

What's the difference or, how can you feel that, when do you need another transmission than 1:1?

What kind of prop would you recommend putting on an X-Star with MCX motor to be able to put in ballast and not wanting to have to wait till the boat planes (top-speed is not what we want)?

Thanks,

voegi

voegi
09-18-2007, 05:05 AM
....sorry, hit the button twice :banana:

Jorski
09-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I ski behind a friend's 197, that has the MCX and the 1:1 transmission.

It has plenty of power and tracks like a freight train. The power slot will give slightly better acceleration, a benefit if you ski at a site with a short set-up.

The power slot transmission, is essentially a lower gear coupled with a higher pitched prop. it is the ability to swing the larger prop and still get the RPMs up into the fat part of the tourque curve that increases hole shot.

This used to make a big difference in 250hp boats with carb engines. With today's big horsepower, flat torque curve, fuel injected engines, it doesn't make that big of a difference.:rolleyes:

G-man
09-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I'll take a gear reduction transmission anyday. They have so much power and hold skiers at speed easier. They are great for jump and slalom. They shouldn't be an option on a true slalom boat, should be standard equipment. IMHO

cdstukey
09-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys.