PDA

View Full Version : Fat Sack Question

Ben
09-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Novice wakeboarder looking for advice on fatsack types & brands...

I'm looking for a cheap way to get 400-500lbs in the back of the boat. Wife doesn't want it at all, so needs to be cheap. For one bag, should I be worried about getting the old vs. new style connectors / pumps, etc?

I found a "lauch pad" - 680lbs & pump for $100, but it's the old style connector. Never used. How long would this take to fill? Do the newer ones fill A LOT faster? I may be able to add this to the x-mas list, and want something I'll be happy with.

Any opinions / advice?

Chief
09-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Novice wakeboarder looking for advice on fatsack types & brands...

I'm looking for a cheap way to get 400-500lbs in the back of the boat. Wife doesn't want it at all, so needs to be cheap. For one bag, should I be worried about getting the old vs. new style connectors / pumps, etc?

I found a "lauch pad" - 680lbs & pump for $100, but it's the old style connector. Never used. How long would this take to fill? Do the newer ones fill A LOT faster? I may be able to add this to the x-mas list, and want something I'll be happy with.

Any opinions / advice?

I would look for a 400 lb for the back and a 250 for the front. Too much in the back will make the ramp steep. Good rule of thumb: 60% rear 40% front. Type of boat? You could always go with 300 lbs on each side of motor if it's a direct drive.

Ben
09-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks, hadn't thought that direction yet. It's a PS205 Direct Drive.

I'm planning to put the few people we usually have in the front. Driver, one in the observer seat, one in the bow, ballast in back. I guess if we only have 3 total, the front may be a bit light...

Chief
09-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks, hadn't thought that direction yet. It's a PS205 Direct Drive.

I'm planning to put the few people we usually have in the front. Driver, one in the observer seat, one in the bow, ballast in back. I guess if we only have 3 total, the front may be a bit light...

I had a 99 PS205 and I installed a 600 lb bag in the trunk and a 400lb in the ski locker with a ballst puppy pump and the wake was pretty sick. Good ramp to launch from.

Picture of wake added.

Ben
09-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Pic looks great, ski locker sac will also be on the lookout list.

Any advice on old vs. new fittings and drain / fill times?

Also, for a rear sac, should I worry about newer bags w/o covers, or are they plenty durable. It will be out in the open.

Thanks.

Maristar210
09-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Old or new they are all a PIA to fill and plan on getting the floor wet. Something to be saud for pumbing the sacs semi-permanently. It's on my to do list but never seems to get very high....

beatle78
09-19-2007, 08:08 PM
I would DEF go with the Tsunami pump.

I've bene told they fill significantly faster than any of the 1000GPH pumps.

Here's a thread where he used the Tsunami pumps for an auto ballast system.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16832&highlight=205v+ballast

5 MINUTES to fill all his sacs......

Also, make sure to open a vent tube when filling the sac to reduce back pressure and to increase fill time.

Chief
09-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Pic looks great, ski locker sac will also be on the lookout list.

Any advice on old vs. new fittings and drain / fill times?

Also, for a rear sac, should I worry about newer bags w/o covers, or are they plenty durable. It will be out in the open.

Thanks.

I had the old waterbed fittings in the old girl with one pump and a Y-gate valve to change when the filling sack was full.

I had the sac with the cover, but with new technology your probably ok without the cover.

Jerseydave
09-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Go with Fly-High sacs with quick-connects and a Tsunami pump. The old-style threaded fills are a PITA.

Try here:

www.wakeside.com
www.buywake.com

stuartmcnair
09-27-2007, 06:27 PM
extra friends to ride with you...move them around in the boat and see what makes the best wake...then judge their weight to get a good measure of the size and location of your sacks

hydro-therapy
09-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Try the Fly High fat sac seat, serves two purposes and it holds up to 1200 lbs, costs around $80.00.

ride
09-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Just picked up a fat seat for surfing in my '95 PS205... Ebay, new for $75 delivered, but its the older threaded version. Like JCrosby, I've got the locker bag (retrofitted the '00 X-star oem permanently mounted bladder and pumps) that works well to balance front to back. The one benefit I found to the seat is that it has 4 configurations you can opt for depending on your purpose.(e.g. the 4 seperate bladders/compartments included in the seat). i.e. for surfing, i fill my locker, bottom and top seat compartments and one of the seat "legs" to keep my wake clean on my surf side. For boarding, I keep the seat balanced.

beatle78
09-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Just picked up a fat seat for surfing... Ebay, new for $75 delivered, but its the older threaded version. Like JCrosby, I've got the locker bag (retrofitted the '00 X-star oem permanently mounted bladder and pumps) that works well to balance front to back. The one benefit I found to the seat is that it has 4 configurations you can opt for depending on your purpose.(e.g. the 4 seperate bladders/compartments included in the seat). i.e. for surfing, i fill my locker, bottom compartment and one of the seat "legs" to keep my wake clean on my surf side. For boarding, I keep the seat balanced.

you have a fat seat in a '00 X-Star? Can you take some pics and post them? I don't quite get where you have it mounted???

Thanks.

ride
09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
you have a fat seat in a '00 X-Star? Can you take some pics and post them? I don't quite get where you have it mounted???

Thanks.

No, no... no, no... I picked up a fat seat for my '95 PS205 as well as retrofitted the '00 oem locker ballast system in my boat. Both work well for their purpose.

Sorry for the confusion and I see your point as I'd have had to pretty much tear out the back of a perfectly good '00 X-star to make a fat seat work.:confused: Just edited my original note to stem any confusion...

swatguy
09-27-2007, 09:49 PM
SHAMELESS PLUG

I have a brand new Fly high Pro X Series Tube sac that holds 370lbs that would work great for you in the front. Brand new its 129...........Do it for 90 shipped!

Otherwise I think 600lbs and 250-300 for the nose is a great start.