PDA

View Full Version : Ballast pumps.....

RK@UST
09-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Question about the difference between filling and emptying.
IN the owners manual for 3 way switch ballast systems, its says the engine needs to be operating at 1500 rpm to prevent damage to the pumps for BOTH filling and emptying.
How do these work ?
I can understand on the filling if an impeller is used to bring water in.
But emptying just seems different.
This weekend I forgot to empty before I took my boat out.
Didn't want to have to put the boat back in if not necessary.
And yes , they are empty , but still the question. :confused:
06 X30

NeilM
09-17-2007, 12:33 PM
The pumps take a lot of current to run. The 1500 rpm ensures the alternator is replacing the current being drawn by pump motors. [If the current isn't sufficient to turn the pumps, they get hot, which is why the warning....]

You definitely can run the pumps with the engine off. What I recommend you do is hook up a battery charger to the battery while you pump the water out. I have an automatic 2a -> 10a charger, which works great for this purpose.

If you don't have a battery charger, hook booster cables to your car, and leave the car running.

1boarder
09-17-2007, 01:45 PM
In reguards to empting the ballast, the motor actually reverses direction and basically requires the same amount of current (other than a small head pressure difference).

Anytime you run electronics with less voltage (12.4 vs 14 or whatever the altenator runs at), the motor is less efficient and more heat is produced as Neil stated.

swchopper
09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
With that, I assume it is OK to run at 3500 rpm or any other RPM higher than 1500???

3event
09-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Same pumps as on 197 / X-7?

I never heard this. Most times I fill or empty my 1 rear bag with the motor off. I ran the orig battery for 4 years and replaced it as a preventive measure for an Optima Bluetop in 2006. Never a problem - pump and impeller OK, battery OK.:confused: