PDA

View Full Version : Removing Transmission

alp
09-17-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm going to remove the power slot transmission in our 92 PS 190 and take to a shop for an over haul during the off season.

Is there a diy step-by-step posted for this.

Another diy'er said to use two 6' step ladders placed on side of trailer with a 4 x 4 lined up over the engine lifting ring. Use a come along to hold the engine up. Place a two blocks under the trans' front and rear. Remove prop, undo shaft coupler, slide shaft back. Unbolt trans from motor and motor mounts then lift out. On re-install make sure shaft coupler is within .003".

TRBenj
09-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Its easier to support the engine from below. When I pulled my tranny, I put a bottle jack under one exhaust manifold and 2x4's under the other. It was also easier to pull the tranny mounts off the boat than it would have been to pull the tranny off the mounts. My aluminum transmission was easy for one person to handle- the BW will be a little heavier, but doable.

mayo93prostar
09-17-2007, 12:55 PM
I did not remove my tranny but I repainted it by disconnecting the shaft coupler, slid shaft back, removed bolts in engine mounts to hull and then I put an old alternator belt under the shaft coupler and lifted the back of the engine/tranny up by hand and put a block of wood under it to be able to paint all around the tranny. I was able to lift the engine this way but it was heavy and I do not think I could have lifted the whole tranny out by myself. I also replaced the neutral safety switch because it was rusted. This is on my 93 prostar with power slot. Be sure to take pictures of your work and post them. It will be helpful to many of us.

alp
09-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, I'll have a helper to lift it out. it's about 150 lbs and a little akward.