PDA

View Full Version : Gas Leak

pmott
09-17-2007, 12:04 AM
I posted this on the main board hoping that a MC dealer or tech will see it and offer suggestions. I have a 2006 X-Star saltwater series and after filling up the gas tank yesterday, gas fumes were present in the bilge. It didnít take long to locate the problem. Gas was leaking from under the bolts that attach the fuel pump to the tank. The hoses were also inspected but no leaks were found. I thought the bolts might have been loose but after closer inspection, it appears that the seals under the bolt heads are deteriorating. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I am in Houston so I donít have a MC dealer anymore.

Could the new gas blend with 10% ethanol cause this problem? In any case, I need to replace the seals. Does anyone know a part number and have them in stock?

JimN
09-17-2007, 12:11 AM
If you mean the rubber washers under each screw are leaking, it looks like they were tightened too much. The washers are deformed and it squeezes the rubber out, so it can't provide much of a seal. Whoever installed the pump needs to realize that there's no contest to see who can tighten the screws the most.

pmott
09-17-2007, 12:20 AM
That was my first thought but my dealer replaced the fuel filter last year and the leak didn't start until yesterday or at least that is when I noticed it. I don't have a torque spec on the bolts so I couldn't check it but going by feel with a t-handle driver, they didn't appear to be over torqued.

Does anyone know the torque value for these bolts?

MYMC or anyone else, do you have these "rubber" washers in stock?

JimN
09-17-2007, 12:25 AM
I seriously doubt that there's an actual torque spec for them. Rubber squeezing out will leak when if gets the chance and those screws are too tight. Using a cordless drill with a hex driver is a good way to overtighten them, which is probably what happened. Get some new rubber seals and stainless washers, hand tighten them and make sure the washers don't cave in at the center, like yours are. Neoprene, preferably. The reason they don't feel overly tight is that the seals have already failed.

pmott
09-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks. Based on what you are telling me, these parts can be picked up at any boat store like West Marine and are not specific MC parts.

I didn't even noticed the caved in washers until you mentioned them. I guess I was too busy looking at the blown out seals and gas leaking out.

milkmania
09-17-2007, 01:27 AM
third pic down in this thread.......
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=259711&postcount=1

looks similar