PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X-1 recall

mwedd
09-15-2007, 10:16 PM
So I'm cruising on the lake at 30 mph by myself and realize it's becoming too dark to wakesurf or wakeboard with my buddies that I've been waiting to call me for the last hour. I stop momentarily to check my cell to see if they've been trying to get in touch with me... Nothin'. So, I head back to the marina which is only 1/2 mile away. As I bring the boat off plane into the no wake zone I feel as if the ballst tanks are full and the back of the boat tucks very low in the water. I never put any water in the tanks, but hit the empty button non-the-less. The light flashed in a few seconds indicating the tanks were already empty. I hear the rush of water being pumped overboard and a quick glance of the dash revealed the bilge pump light illuminated. I thought the boat was going to sink! I made it back onto the lift and the bilge ran for over half an hour before shutting off. The engine compartmant and storage compartments were soaked and I was trying to locate a water line or something that may have come loose from the engine and pumped water into the boat. Couldn't see anything from an outward appearance. The dealer's service department (after two days) finally looked at it and they tell me, "Oh yeah, there's been a recall on the transmission cooler and it gave way pumping water into the transmission and the aft portion of the boat". I asked, When were you going to tell me of this recall? And... Why don't you already have the replacement part on order? No intelligible answer! He tells me that "you may not want to go out with water in your transmission". No @#!!. Two weekends later, I'm still not in my X-1 because I'm waiting on a part. Then, I'm not real confident that the "water in the transmission" thing will ever be right. $55,000 and I don't have a boat that will displace water. Pathetic!

Hoosier Bob
09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
You have a really awesome looking boat that will not displace water!:D

Hope this helps!

mrG
09-15-2007, 11:22 PM
I had almost the exact situation on my 07 X-1 except that the failed part was a water fitting on top or the right side exhaust riser. It's a plastic fitting that broke due to pressure from the engine cover coming into contact with it.
I took it to the dealer and I was informed at that time that there was a recall in effect. The fix is to replace all of the sun pad upholstery with a redesigned configuration with more clearance. Three weeks later I just got a call that it is ready to pick up.

25% of the summer season gone. Sigh.

I havn't heard of a recall on the transmission. I'll have to ask about that when I pick it up.

Maristar210
09-15-2007, 11:54 PM

Maristar210
09-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Nice first post:cry: :cry:

east tx skier
09-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Which part of the transmission cooler failed?

TheOneandOnly
09-16-2007, 01:10 AM
I hate hearing stuff like this.... Good luck

JDK
09-16-2007, 03:52 AM
"Oh yeah, there's been a recall on the transmission cooler and it gave way pumping water into the transmission and the aft portion of the boat".

I'm no expert, but I'd be VERY surprised if the X1 trans. cooler was NOT used on other boats too.

Roonie's
09-16-2007, 10:04 AM
I feel your pain and hope for a speedy fix. At least it is at the end of the season and a lot of folks in the MW are already winterizing their boats. Does anyone know if the X1 trans cooler was used on all RTP-1 engines for 07 or is it specific to the X1?

edit..... and yes I would be pissed too.

TX.X-30 fan
09-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I need some help, how does water get into the transmission. The trans. cooler cools oil lines from the trans. right? This should be a 1hr. fix, two water connections and two oil line connections?? With that much water in the boat the engine light and alarm should have sounded??? Did the boat also overheat??

Roonie's
09-16-2007, 11:25 AM
I need some help, how does water get into the transmission. The trans. cooler cools oil lines from the trans. right? This should be a 1hr. fix, two water connections and two oil line connections?? With that much water in the boat the engine light and alarm should have sounded??? Did the boat also overheat??

Not to mention the auto bilge for both pumps should have kicked on right away. I am confused too.

edit.... reread original post and the auto bilge pumps did kick on. I would have thought that they would have kicked on before you felt the extra water ballast in the rear however.

bigmac
09-16-2007, 12:01 PM
There's no mention of a transmission cooler recall I can find on Mymastercraft forums, nor does anything come up on google.

I can understand how such a failure, in the heat exchanger tubing, could pump water into the transmission, but I don't know how it could ALSO pump water into the bilge. It's possible, I suppose, but that would be quite some failure, to do both of those things at the same time.

There is a recall on the J-hose of RTP and MCX engines, and if/when that hose fails it does pump water into the bilge at a prodigious rate. Shouldn't get into the transmission, though.

I suspect there's some confusion and misunderstanding between customer, dealer, and TeamTalk in this story.

ski_king
09-16-2007, 12:14 PM
I agree, something here dosnt add up. To get water in both the bilge and transmission there would have to be a double failure of the heat exchanger tubing and the outer housing. If that happened, I would also expect to see oil in the bilge.

Maybe the water got deep enough in the bilge to go into the vent on the transmission.

Roonie's
09-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Yep sounds like your J-hose broke which is the water cooling hose and it will fill your engine compartment up fast with water. There is a service bulletin issued for this. However there should be no water in transmission?? First time I have heard of a transmission issue with the 07's? I think there might be confusion in translation as Bigmac suggests.

I do know the J-hose takes just a few days to order as I had mine replaced two days ago.

TX.X-30 fan
09-16-2007, 01:29 PM
How far back does the J hose recall go?? Do I need a new one for my 04 MCX?

Roonie's
09-16-2007, 02:26 PM
How far back does the J hose recall go?? Do I need a new one for my 04 MCX?

Here is the service bulletin issued. It is for 2007 but I have also heard of it happening on some 2008 models too.

A number of issues regarding the 81845010 J-hose that connects the water circulating pump to the thermostat housing on certain 2007 model RTP-1 and MCX engines have been reported. The hoses may have a weak spot resulting from uneven distribution of the reinforcement material when the hose was molded. The failures typically occur early in the life of the engine and result in the hose splitting and leaking water into the bilge of the boat. Although the failure of the hose causes major inconvenience to the boat owner, there have been no cases of engine damage or other permanent damage resulting from the failure.

From the point at which the issue was raised, all of the hoses have been tested and identified by a red paint dot on the front of the hose. Hoses on 2007 RTP-1 and MCX engines prior to engine serial numbers137187 should be inspected and replaced as necessary.

TX.X-30 fan
09-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Here is the service bulletin issued. It is for 2007 but I have also heard of it happening on some 2008 models too.

Thank you Sir, I may get one just to have in my parts bag. ;)

NeilM
09-17-2007, 01:03 PM
If the transmission is completely submerged in bilge water, water can get into the transmission through the breather .

mwedd
09-19-2007, 11:46 PM
BINGO! The MC Customer service woman acted puzzled when I asked her about this supposed recall on some part of the transmission. My dealer has awful communication skills and I don't think he knew what the actual problem was with or without the ability to talk to customers and let them know what is going on with their boats. After about three emails back and forth, MC tells me there never was a RECALL, there is (however) a BULLETIN and "they are two different animals". I told her I don't care what you call it if there's a potential problem with my boat I need to know about it. She said it was MY RESPONSIBILITY to look it up on uscg.org. The only thing I've been able to pull out of the dealer at this point is "a hose broke filling the aft end of the boat up high enough for the water to flood the transmission". I started this flap with MC two days ago and miraculously my boat is fixed and I actually took it out today. Albeit, there were four unidentfied screws left in the engine. They always have parts left over, don't they?

6ballsisall
09-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Is this Pink Seats Part Deux?????

Lennyp04
09-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Is this something that i should be worried about if I have an 07 X-1 with the RTP-1. If so what should I do? Thanks for this thread. Now i want to be at the lake to make sure everything is well with the boat!

Scott
09-20-2007, 07:44 AM
I can't believe the dealer didn't have the fix readily available. :confused:

beatle78
09-20-2007, 08:17 AM
BINGO! The MC Customer service woman acted puzzled when I asked her about this supposed recall on some part of the transmission. My dealer has awful communication skills and I don't think he knew what the actual problem was with or without the ability to talk to customers and let them know what is going on with their boats. After about three emails back and forth, MC tells me there never was a RECALL, there is (however) a BULLETIN and "they are two different animals". I told her I don't care what you call it if there's a potential problem with my boat I need to know about it. She said it was MY RESPONSIBILITY to look it up on uscg.org. The only thing I've been able to pull out of the dealer at this point is "a hose broke filling the aft end of the boat up high enough for the water to flood the transmission". I started this flap with MC two days ago and miraculously my boat is fixed and I actually took it out today. Albeit, there were four unidentfied screws left in the engine. They always have parts left over, don't they?

No doubt, this would put me over the edge too.

I have some advise to give you.

1. Stay active in this forum. The problem with the J hoses has been known on this site for quite some time and perhaps you could've had your dealer change out the hose before ever having the problem.

On another note, I agree that MC(and their dealers) should be more proactive with with potential KNOWN problems with the boats.

A simple e-mail or letter is pretty much expected when you pay top dollar for a boat. If we wanted to get ignored we could;ve paid a lot less for a boat.....

Hopefully this is your one and only problem for years to come and you have the BEST wakeboarding boat of all time ENJOY :D

beatle78
09-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Is this something that i should be worried about if I have an 07 X-1 with the RTP-1. If so what should I do? Thanks for this thread. Now i want to be at the lake to make sure everything is well with the boat!

Here is a quote from another member from this thread.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17164&page=2

Here is the recall or suggested fix for the dealers on the water hose in question.

A number of issues regarding the 81845010 J-hose that connects the water circulating pump to the thermostat housing on certain 2007 model RTP-1 and MCX engines have been reported. The hoses may have a weak spot resulting from uneven distribution of the reinforcement material when the hose was molded. The failures typically occur early in the life of the engine and result in the hose splitting and leaking water into the bilge of the boat. Although the failure of the hose causes major inconvenience to the boat owner, there have been no cases of engine damage or other permanent damage resulting from the failure.

From the point at which the issue was raised, all of the hoses have been tested and identified by a red paint dot on the front of the hose. Hoses on 2007 RTP-1 and MCX engines prior to engine serial numbers137187 should be inspected and replaced as necessary.

bigmac
09-20-2007, 09:03 AM
She said it was MY RESPONSIBILITY to look it up on uscg.org. The only thing I've been able to pull out of the dealer at this point is "a hose broke filling the aft end of the boat up high enough for the water to flood the transmission".

Mike (MYMC) is pretty good about listing mechanical issues that may affect us MasterCraft owners on his forum website (http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/topics.cfm?forum=10&category=2), but I wasn't aware of any centralized notification site run by any other organization (including MasterCraft). I think that a telephone call or letter, or some kind of notification, about such stuff is something a concerned dealer ought to provide to his customers.

As to uscg.org, I can't find anything about the J-hose issue on their "recall" database (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/recalls_database.htm). Maybe I'm missing it?

beatle78
09-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Mike (MYMC) is pretty good about listing mechanical issues that may affect us MasterCraft owners on his forum website (http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/topics.cfm?forum=10&category=2), but I wasn't aware of any centralized notification site run by any other organization (including MasterCraft). I think that a telephone call or letter, or some kind of notification, about such stuff is something a concerned dealer ought to provide to his customers.

As to uscg.org, I can't find anything about the J-hose issue on their "recall" database (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/recalls_database.htm). Maybe I'm missing it?

hahahaha, well if you can't find it, it doesn't matter if it's there or not. The system is broken is the information is not readily available.

I agree I've read some good stuff on the MYMC forum. U da man Mike!!!

Roonie's
09-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I heard about the J-hose from this website. I saw the bulletin at mymc's website as he lists most service bulletins or recalls. I went to another dealer and they actually mentioned it to me when I told them what kind of boat I had. They even offered to fix it for me right away and I didn't even buy my boat there. I ended up getting mine replaced at my dealer where I bought my boat but I am the one who told them to replace it. They never mentioned it to me once. It would be nice to get a letter sent out to owners telling them about the service bulletin just like I get with my vehicle. From what I have read it is a huge inconvenience to boat owners when the part fails and they have to be towed in. This not only is a pain but also for new boat owners can make them a little jaded on their boat. It could all be fixed easily with a letter to the owner talking about the service bulletin.

Roonie's
09-20-2007, 09:51 AM

I searched it even using my HIN # and nothing came up. Just a few random recalls about fuel chafing with the last one in 2005. My boat is a 2007. The website says nothing about this service bulletin.

Maristar210
09-20-2007, 09:52 AM

There is nothing anyone can say. you have already made up your mind and you are obviously very bitter. I don't care for it at all. Your two posts are nothing more than rants about an issue that although embarrassing to MC has happend and not just to MC. You should have bought five Bayliners that way when one breaks you still have four left to ***** about. You are the only person in the forum currently on my ignore list. Why? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Roonie's
09-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Maybe maristar would like you more if you posted on his concealed weapons permit thread instead of posting about a legitimate problem you had with your new boat?

MYMC
09-20-2007, 10:51 AM
If there is a recall on the coolers it is news to me...there is a recall on SOME sundecks and of course the "J" hose...but I can find nothing about trans coolers as of today.

djhuff
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Same thing happened Tues. night on my buddies 07 BU. Same hose, same split. At least I got to ride before it broke.

Maristar210
09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Maybe maristar would like you more if you posted on his concealed weapons permit thread instead of posting about a legitimate problem you had with your new boat?

Lets not mix issues Roonies. That post was not addressed to you. If you want to get involved well I never been one to back away. I call them like I see them. I am not trying to diminish his issue as it is a serious one but once again we have someone with thier side of the story come in here to vent and the poor dealer is left hanging out to dry unless he chooses to respond. Like I said I don't like it. I don't have to like it. You are sir also entitled to your opinion.

I love your boat by the way.

Steve

TX.X-30 fan
09-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Lets not mix issues Roonies. That post was not addressed to you. If you want to get involved well I never been one to back away. I call them like I see them. I am not trying to diminish his issue as it is a serious one but once again we have someone with thier side of the story come in here to vent and the poor dealer is left hanging out to dry unless he chooses to respond. Like I said I don't like it. I don't have to like it. You are sir also entitled to your opinion.

I love your boat by the way.

Steve

Wow that Prozac is really working!!! ;)

mccobmd
09-20-2007, 06:01 PM
FYI, I called my dealer and it is limited to one shipment of hoses that got put on the engines. If you have a 2006 X1 you are safe. I know that would really chap any of us but if it's a consolation I've had my X1 a year and wouldn't trade it for the world. Now I do have a maytag refriderator that has been repaired 3 times that I can sell to someone cheap.

Roonie's
09-20-2007, 06:50 PM
FYI, I called my dealer and it is limited to one shipment of hoses that got put on the engines. If you have a 2006 X1 you are safe. I know that would really chap any of us but if it's a consolation I've had my X1 a year and wouldn't trade it for the world. Now I do have a maytag refriderator that has been repaired 3 times that I can sell to someone cheap.

There have been several posts of folks with 2008 boats and have had their J-hose blow already. I am not so sure it is limited to one shipment, but I think it started in 2007. I am the same way no big deal about a hose, and I was proactive in replacing mine before it blew. I wouldn't trade my X2 for anything right now (unless I get more fiberglass issues LOL).

bigmac
09-20-2007, 07:53 PM
There have been several posts of folks with 2008 boats and have had their J-hose blow already. I am not so sure it is limited to one shipment, but I think it started in 2007.

Failed J-hoses has been a big topic of discussion on the Malibu forums too.

Sodar
09-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I just cannot believe how the things EXPLODE!! It is not like they spring a leak, it is like a bomb went off inside!!

ttu
09-20-2007, 08:35 PM
my 07 x2 had the j hose blow out also at around 20 hrs. i do think mc should have notified all dealers to get this replaced before the boats were sold or at least got in touch with the ones that had already sold and had them replaced. this is a serious issue.

we were about 2 miles from the boat ramp when i had water coming out of both bilge pumps. took a nice 1 1/2 hrs to get back to the ramp.

nothing like have one of the best looking boat on the lake and have to limp back.:(

Lennyp04
09-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Here is a quote from another member from this thread.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17164&page=2

Here is the recall or suggested fix for the dealers on the water hose in question.

Thank you very much will check that when i get to the lake this weekend

beatle78
09-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Thank you very much will check that when i get to the lake this weekend

No problem. Good luck.