PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft could do better

rstitson
09-15-2007, 11:26 AM
So with 2 months on a new boat we had the "T" fall off on the rear quarter logo of our new x-15. Waited a month or so and called my dealer. So he needs to get $160 dollars for a complete decal so that I can replace the "T". Claims most times the decal comes off when hit by something.... who knows, I can't say one way or another... But I will not pay $160 for a "T" and if need be all the Mastercraft logos will be removed from my boat. I would think that Mastercraft would know better than to gouge for simple things as that. They are also pricing the plastic slide that locks the bow gate, my son feel into it and it snapped as it is just a thin piece of plastic. He is researching that but he thinks it may cost $45 dollars. Sorry if it offends, but if Mastercraft expects repeat customers they should do better than attempt to increase cash flow by gouging. Anyone have alternatives? On the flip side we had a replacement strap for the cover come at a cost of 12 dollars.... which is reasonable. Maybe Mastercraft just needs to become aware of what they are pricing.

duckguy
09-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Sounds really more like your dealer blows, I have had issues of similar gravity to yours, and my dealer Redline Watersports in Madison has always been there with none of that crap.

1boarder
09-15-2007, 12:20 PM
I guess you could just ride around in you Mas ercraft or Mastercraf .

André
09-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Isn't it still on warranty?
Letters falling because you hit something is a real joke.It happened on a lot of new boats.Do a search here and you,ll find many threads.
Good luck!

JohnE
09-15-2007, 01:36 PM
As Andre said, a lot of people have had decals fall of, myself included. I would push the dealer to push mc to warranty it.

Roonie's
09-15-2007, 02:01 PM
You would think they would pay you to advertise their product for them. Research has shown best advertisement money can buy is from customers using their product. If any of my stickers fell off they would all come off and they would have to warranty them or it would go naked.

Chas
09-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I have the opposite problem: I want to remove the stars and logos from my '76 S&S. They are just a little ragged, they look great from fifteen feet away, and I took one point of one star off to find that the gel coat is faded enough that the design is still very noticeable without the white vinyl. In fact I like the more subtle look of the darker and lighter colors just from the fading over the years.

Can I just hit it with a heat gun and peel them off? I have no way of knowing if they are original or not, but once I get started I will have to take them all off, and as you know, there are sure a lot of them...

x-10ron
09-15-2007, 03:17 PM
My friends were making fun of me because my boat read master raft!!!

Farmer Ted
09-15-2007, 04:35 PM
I have the opposite problem: I want to remove the stars and logos from my '76 S&S. They are just a little ragged, they look great from fifteen feet away, and I took one point of one star off to find that the gel coat is faded enough that the design is still very noticeable without the white vinyl. In fact I like the more subtle look of the darker and lighter colors just from the fading over the years.

Can I just hit it with a heat gun and peel them off? I have no way of knowing if they are original or not, but once I get started I will have to take them all off, and as you know, there are sure a lot of them...

You can use a heat gun or hair dryer but it's not really required. If you have a young child, it's a good tasker for them.

I redo my boat numbers about once a month and just ask my daughter to go out and peel them off.

Once they're off the adhesive should clean off with acetone. Just be sure to go back and wipe it off with a fresh rag and some water.

Maristar210
09-15-2007, 04:42 PM
The decals are not cheap I know this. If you banged your boat into the dock then you cannot hold the dealer liable. I tried to get my guys to give me some stickers as well and he then told me how much the drip molded ones actually cost them and then I understood. THey are not cheap to make. I don't think anyone's gouging you and Mastercraft has absolutley nothing to do with this, its your dealers call.

my $.02

AirJunky
09-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Years ago I stripped all the MC decals off my 205 thinking that I'd prefer to advertise my own thing rather than someone else who wasn't paying me a dime. Once I got the boat completely stripped I ended up leaving it with the totally clean look. As the cheap non-skid stuff peeled off the trailer I even stripped the trailer clean, going with diamond plate thanks to suggestions on this forum. The package ended up looking pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

Over the years numerous people would comment on the boat, including other MC owners, many of them having to gues what kind of boat it was. I got everything from Bayliner to Tige, and of course a few Mastercraft guesses. Only the real hardcore boaters had a clue.

Before
http://airjunky.com/temp/oldboat.jpg

After
http://airjunky.com/temp/newboat.jpg

spanielman50
09-15-2007, 05:54 PM
gogeous boat......best hull ever

TMCNo1
09-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Paying for the replacement decals is BS, if the boat is under warranty and especially if there have been problems with the adhesive holding them on. There is apparentlty a different adhesive used between to old regular vinyl decals and the new heavier thicker domed lettering and or these new decals can't be squeegied down as effectivly as the older thinner ones and there is part of the problem.

ski_king
09-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I agree Harold!
Only 2 months old....... that should be covered, unless it was from neglect like rubbing against a dock or something.....

milkmania
09-15-2007, 09:01 PM
for what it's worth, was watching a show on Discovery or something like that......

they were using a double sided 3M adhesive tape to hold windows on skyscrapers!!!

something like this
http://solutions.3m.com (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Manufacturing/Industry/Product-Catalog/Online-Catalog?PC_7_0_4UVL_root=GST1T4S9TCgv&PC_7_0_4UVL_output=html&PC_7_0_4UVL_gvel=5HMV0MFW0Xgl&PC_7_0_4UVL_vroot=81LC4NNTD4ge&PC_7_0_4UVL_node=VNFZTZDD9Qbe&PC_7_0_4UVL_theme=en_us_manufacturingindustry_port al&PC_7_0_4UVL_command=CustomizePageHandler)

“If you don't have confidence in adhesive bonding, you should not fly in an airplane, live in a house, allow yourself to be transported in a vehicle, take a boat ride, walk near a skyscraper, or walk near highway signs,” he said. “You would be amazed at how prevalent adhesive bonding is in our society.” http://trailer-bodybuilders.com/mag/trucks_using_adhesives_build/

wish I had TAPED the show:uglyhamme

Jorski
09-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Same thing happened on my buddies brand new X-7, the dealer got him a new one...this has been happening to a lot of MCs recently. They either have a supplier problem, or they are not cleaning the mold release wax off of the boats well enough prior to installing the decals.

I can guarantee my friend never hit anything with his boat except odd early morning ripple.

east tx skier
09-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Years ago I stripped all the MC decals off my 205 thinking that I'd prefer to advertise my own thing rather than someone else who wasn't paying me a dime. Once I got the boat completely stripped I ended up leaving it with the totally clean look. As the cheap non-skid stuff peeled off the trailer I even stripped the trailer clean, going with diamond plate thanks to suggestions on this forum. The package ended up looking pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

Over the years numerous people would comment on the boat, including other MC owners, many of them having to gues what kind of boat it was. I got everything from Bayliner to Tige, and of course a few Mastercraft guesses. Only the real hardcore boaters had a clue.

Before
http://airjunky.com/temp/oldboat.jpg

After
http://airjunky.com/temp/newboat.jpg

Hey, Bill. Long time, no see!

rstitson
09-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Bill, like your boat with no stickers. I canned the "X switch" decal that came with my boat. And didn't put on the stern mastercraft logo. Unfortunately the Stern Logo is slightly different in size to the quarter panel logo. I will try to get my dealer to go to bat for me with mastercraft. It was the parts person giving me the prices, so maybe the sales person or owner will take a different tack.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-16-2007, 02:37 PM
We do a decent amount of bonding in our automotive world. If the surfaces are not cleaned appropriately, the bonding strength can be drastically reduced or even negated. Proper cleaning to remove surface contamination and assuring cleaning, priming, and bonding agents are compatible are key.
If there are increased failures, I have witnessed one on a brand new MC trailer, MC needs to look at their manufacturing environment, process, materials, and training.
Take care

Roonie's
09-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I think they are trying to up production without the necessary quality control in place. My boat had some fiberglass hull molding issues from the factory which very easily could have been caught with better QC. I have an 07 and everything was fixed by MC's fiberglass guy from TN. It will save them money as well if they do better QC as there won't be as many warranty claims. My .01 cent.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-16-2007, 02:58 PM
"Inspecting in" quality costs more than building quality into your process. Build/maintain a quality process and QC becomes confirmation/validation that the process is working.

Sodar
09-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Your dealer is not working for ya at all.

My decals fell off... replaced under warranty
My hose failed... replaced under warranty

My bow light cover fell off... replaced under warranty

It is all in how well your dealer will work for you. To me, it sounds like your dealer is trying to make money off you, because even though the decal is $160, he is paying much less... even though the latch is $45, he is paying less. He is the one gouging you... NOT MASTERCRAFT!

Redog17
09-16-2007, 04:44 PM
My "t" is missing too! I haven't gotten around to researching the cost, but I guess now I know. :mad:

92 190 PS
09-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Haven't made the trip yet to the factory, but it's on my list of things to do. From what I hear a tour of the factory has convinced many a MC buyer to purchase nothing but MC's. I agree with the above posts that the stickers should be replaced, but lets not get into a discussion questioning the QC at Mastercraft because a "t" fell off a boat. From what I hear their processes very lean and optimized. Based on the enjoyment many of us on this board have all the time in one I'd say over all they do a fine job building boats.....

Just my 2 cents....Good luck with your new Mas ercraft.....:)

X-2
09-16-2007, 06:08 PM
If you're putting some hard earned cash into a purchase of a MC....the last thing you want to be doing is riding around the lake in a
Mas erCraft, or a MasterCraf....or in my case a M ste Craft. My dealer was great and got the letters replaced under warranty.

MC is doing a fine job on their boats, but it does sound like this is an issue that needs fixed. All in all, we're talking about good advertising here, let the product sell itself.

AirJunky
09-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey, Bill. Long time, no see!
Thanks ETS! So I've been following the sale of your boat. Never have seen you mention your plans. Saving that for a future thread? Whats it gonna be? :)

Like the others have said..... on a new boat, it sucks that your dealer isn't taking care of you, even if it's just decals. Makes you wonder what they will do if it's something more expensive.

east tx skier
09-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks ETS! So I've been following the sale of your boat. Never have seen you mention your plans. Saving that for a future thread? Whats it gonna be? :)

Like the others have said..... on a new boat, it sucks that your dealer isn't taking care of you, even if it's just decals. Makes you wonder what they will do if it's something more expensive.

I haven't started that thread yet. It'll probably be another well used boat so I can be sure the decals have had time to adhere properly. ;)

Hollywood
09-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Well you don't need the whole decal, just one letter. Dealers cut them up all the time to replace a "t" or an "e" so there should be some left over.

Ric
09-17-2007, 10:42 AM
stitson, you could simply be a little more careful with your new boat