PDA

View Full Version : Belichick

MarkP
09-14-2007, 10:30 PM
What, no thoughts on this? Or did I miss the thread??

500,000http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/images/icons/icon13.gif Big deal! He probably has an extensive video library on every team in the NFL.

Until last week I really didnt have any feelings towards that team other than admiration. Oh, well,:( !!

ski_king
09-14-2007, 10:39 PM
What, no thoughts on this? Or did I miss the thread??

500,000http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/images/icons/icon13.gif Big deal! He probably has an extensive video library on every team in the NFL.

Until last week I really didnt have any feelings towards that team other than admiration. Oh, well,:( !!

I bet many other teams are doing the same thing, just havn't been caught.

$500,000 is small change compared to the fine imposed on Formula 1 Team McLarren today. $100 million!!!
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14092007/58/season-2007-mclaren-fined-100-million-lose-points.html

cbryan70
09-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Ok what exactly happend with this fine? i saw a short segment on his press release but not sure what happend

Monte
09-14-2007, 10:49 PM
I bet many other teams are doing the same thing, just havn't been caught.

$500,000 is small change compared to the fine imposed on Formula 1 Team McLarren today. $100 million!!!
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/14092007/58/season-2007-mclaren-fined-100-million-lose-points.html

Holy chit! that is quite a fine..

MarkP
09-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Ok what exactly happend with this fine? i saw a short segment on his press release but not sure what happendhttp://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5h11YQn9WupHK5t8h2spCmYaUB_fQ

Monte
09-14-2007, 11:01 PM
I still don't get it........ what did he do??

jaysus
09-14-2007, 11:20 PM
This one stung since I've been a Pat's fan since I could put on a Steve Grogan jersey. Being in the area, the slant is much different than the rest of the US, but the bottom line is he knew the rules, thought he found a loophole, made a mistake and got disciplined.

The rule was interpreted last year as footage to be used at a later date, which was apparently ok. The tape was confiscated in the 1st quarter of the Jets game and had no impact on the game or the outcome per the commissioner.

Coach Belichick was apologetic to the team, owners and staff for putting them in this position and admitted it was his mistake.

Per rumors in New england, the camera operators father that had his tape confiscated does the same thing for Mangini and the Jets, as does Dante Scarnecia's son.

I think the commissioner is more upset that this season started off w/the focus off the games and on discipline...again. (pac man jones/vick).

Either way, it couldn't have been a significant advantage if you look at the 2nd half of the Colts game last year in the AFC championship.

MarkP
09-14-2007, 11:52 PM
This one stung since I've been a Pat's fan since I could put on a Steve Grogan jersey. Being in the area, the slant is much different than the rest of the US, but the bottom line is he knew the rules, thought he found a loophole, made a mistake and got disciplined.

The rule was interpreted last year as footage to be used at a later date, which was apparently ok. The tape was confiscated in the 1st quarter of the Jets game and had no impact on the game or the outcome per the commissioner.

Coach Belichick was apologetic to the team, owners and staff for putting them in this position and admitted it was his mistake.

Per rumors in New england, the camera operators father that had his tape confiscated does the same thing for Mangini and the Jets, as does Dante Scarnecia's son.

I think the commissioner is more upset that this season started off w/the focus off the games and on discipline...again. (pac man jones/vick).

Either way, it couldn't have been a significant advantage if you look at the 2nd half of the Colts game last year in the AFC championship.
Im not buyin it. The colts just figured out what was going on and changed some things up in the second . And he still has his video library to refer to.

Im just more than a little disappointed. It is clear now, how he was so good..

Monte
09-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Im not buyin it. The colts just figured out what was going on and changed some things up in the second . And he still has his video library to refer to.

What the hell did he do? Watch some game tapes????????

MarkP
09-14-2007, 11:57 PM
What the hell did he do? Watch some game tapes????????
it appears he has been caught cheating:mad:

Monte
09-15-2007, 12:01 AM
it appears he has been caught cheating:mad:

Hmmmm That is a serious offense;) :D :(

sand2snow22
09-15-2007, 12:49 AM
I lost all respect for the Pats when Brady kicked that girl from 6 degrees of separation to the curb. Man she's good lookin'......

BriEOD
09-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Belichik has been a great football coach. However, two incidents stand out in my mind which really taint his legacy. First, last year after he lost in the AFC championship game he was whining and almost crying when interviewed. This showed a lack of class IMO. Tony Dungy didn't do that when the roles were reversed. Than coupled with this cheating issue, he has gone down a few notches in my book.

Doug G
09-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Betcha you won't find any video on any sidelines this week :D . Seem's kinda dumb to me since the teams are shooting video from all over the stadium. You can't tell me that there aren't other angles to look from and that others don't try variations of this. He is just the one that got caught. That all being said. He should have been suspended. The boss is responsible

Doug G
09-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Does this make us superbowl champs?

bobbyB
09-15-2007, 12:18 PM
It got less to do with videoing the game as a whole, and all to do with videoing the signs the other team is sending into the game. Then they break down that footage so they know what play the other team is calling. Looking at footage of the game is ok, but stealing signs is against NFL rules. Hmmmm....they're going to blitz form the right......sweep left on one...ready..BREAK! That's why they gave him the fine.

mitch
09-15-2007, 12:32 PM

Check back in in Feb/08, and we'll see how they did with w/o video this year.

JohnE
09-15-2007, 02:49 PM
It's obviously dominated sports radio in this area all week.

Several prominent coaches like Parcells and Shula have said that it has been common practice "forever". That everybody does it. If that is so, his opponents have been doing it as well in the past. So forget about attributing his success to stealing signals.

With that said, apparantly there was some reminder about that rule prior to the start of the season. Hence he was caught violating the rules and was punished accordingly.

I'm with Mitch. Check back at the end of the year.

MarkP
09-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Sweet!! He won!! That means he is NOT a cheater!! Puts my mind at ease!!

Oh, wait, maybe it just means that he still has some info on tape that is relevant.;) .

jraben8
09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
It just chaps me that Wade Wilson got (in my eyes) a much worse punishment for something (although illegal by NFL standards) that he was using to better his quality of life. 5 game suspension... and Belicheat gets nothing but minimal monetary slap on the wrist.

The only performance enhancement Wilson was receiving was to help deal with diabetes...

Ric
09-17-2007, 01:51 PM
collingsworth thinks the fine should be heavier on belicheck. sounds like the latest news is that the radio frequencies may have also been violated..

kraft interview was a waste of prime time tv.

cheating takes away the integrity of the game. Can someone differentiate the filming of other teams calls from the sideline from scouting other teams in general. down & distance, plays run, clock.... cannot this all be written down exept for the signals?

Ric
09-17-2007, 01:51 PM
collingsworth

tex
09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
It just chaps me that Wade Wilson got (in my eyes) a much worse punishment for something (although illegal by NFL standards) that he was using to better his quality of life. 5 game suspension... and Belicheat gets nothing but minimal monetary slap on the wrist.

The only performance enhancement Wilson was receiving was to help deal with diabetes...
...and ED! That is such BS. I have no respect for Belichick.

tones03
09-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I think it is like college athletes and boosters, everyone does it, just 1 person or team got caught. Not saying it is right or wrong but I would bet every team has done it or does it in some way shape or form.

Bruce
09-17-2007, 04:34 PM
It got less to do with videoing the game as a whole, and all to do with videoing the signs the other team is sending into the game. Then they break down that footage so they know what play the other team is calling. Looking at footage of the game is ok, but stealing signs is against NFL rules. Hmmmm....they're going to blitz form the right......sweep left on one...ready..BREAK! That's why they gave him the fine.

Correct. Some have tried to mimimize this. Perhaps they don't understand football.
Some say "everyone else is doing it." If you catch your kid doing drugs that is probably one of his answers. Would it be o.k. then?
Cheating is cheating." If it walks like a duck -----etc."

JBaker
09-17-2007, 04:47 PM
The Jets may be the first team to have proof that the Patriots cheat, they are not the first to make the accusations. On multiple occasions the Patriots have been accused of sign stealing by similar methods and monitoring opposing teams radio frequencies. I have no real feeling about the Pats one way or the other, but at the very least you must conclude that Belichick has somewhat of a lack of respect for rules and the integrity of the NFL. He makes an absolute mockery of the injury reporting system. True he is not breaking any rules there, but it is the principle. He seems to want to stretch everything to the letter of the law and apparently in this case beyond. Let’s remember that Belichick instructed his players to hold receivers down the field in the 2001 Super Bowl and the league had to change the rules because of it.

While I find some of Goodell’s recent suspensions a bit excessive, I think his fine of half a million to Belichick plus a fine for $250k to the Pats to be in line. I like the fact that he went after both the organization and the cheater.