PDA

View Full Version : I need to rant...

bcampbe7
09-14-2007, 12:35 PM
So there is a dog in our subdivision that is very aggressive towards other people and dogs. The owners keep it on a leash for most of the day and let it roam around for a few hours each day.

I got a call from my wife this morning (again) saying that she and my 1 year old son were nearly attacked (again)! We, along with others in the subdivision, have called the owners asking them to please keep the dog on a leash or in the house. They say they will but it never fails that a week or so later the dog is running out of it's yard, onto the road barking and growling at a passerby. We have also called animal control, but that has gotten us nowhere.

I guess today was not the day for that to happen. I got hot when my wife called. It takes quite-a-bit to pi$$ me off, but once I cross that threshold all he|| breaks lose. :o

I called the owner and it a "not so nice tone," told them that they had 2 choices. They can either keep the dog on a leash 24/7 or get rid of it. We'll see what happens.

Sorry for the rant. I feel better now. I guess I need to arm my wife with some pepper spray. The cut down shovel handle that she now has to carry may not be enough.

Leroy
09-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Call the police and let them handle it. Then the next time the police really handle it.

We had a bad owner in our neighborhood and called the police. No problems in past 1 1/2 years now.

Or else call Ceasar from DogWhisper!

Monte
09-14-2007, 12:57 PM
I agree with Leroy, call the police and animal control. Tell them that there have been numerous reports made in reference to the same dog. At some point there needs to be a fine imposed.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Have your wife carry a golf club...a PW should do it. The owners should get the message.

JohnE
09-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Don't blame the dog, blame the owner. I'd be more inclined to beat the owner than the dog. We have a neighbor with a couple of bad dogs, but they have never been loose in the neighborhood, which is how it should be.

DanC
09-14-2007, 01:27 PM
I had the same problem. I got the dog into my backyard with a piece of hamburger and closed the gate. Called animal control and they took the dog away. Cost the owner $100 to get the dog back. He didn't let the dog out anymore.

M-Funf
09-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Call the police and let them handle it. Then the next time the police really handle it.

We had a bad owner in our neighborhood and called the police. No problems in past 1 1/2 years now.

Or else call Ceasar from DogWhisper!

We have a neighbor with a problem dog. We called the police, and they said to take it up with animal control :mad:

Granite_33
09-14-2007, 02:53 PM
My brother was mauled by a german shepherd.
I was bitten by a german shepherd (different one)

The one that mauled my brother was supposedly a police dog. The one that bit me was a porch dog. It bit others too.

Protect yourself at all times.......and don't trust any dog not to bite you.

bcampbe7
09-14-2007, 03:13 PM
My wife said that the only reason the dog stopped coming after them today is because another neighbor put her car between the dog and my wife and son and blew her horn.

The crazy thing is that the dog never comes after me when I walk our dog.

I don't blame the dog for the way it is, but if it comes out of it's yard in an aggressive manner when I am around, it may be the last time it does.

mpm32
09-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, it's always weird when I have a dog problem, it seems to go away after I change the anitfreeze in my car. Not sure why that is?

bcampbe7
09-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Hmmm, it's always weird when I have a dog problem, it seems to go away after I change the anitfreeze in my car. Not sure why that is?

That IS weird... :confused: :rolleyes:

ProTour X9
09-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Around here we shoot our problems and eat them for supper!

Prostar Rich
09-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Around here we shoot our problems and eat them for supper!

Does it taste like chicken?

Prostar Rich

ProTour X9
09-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Maybe.....

east tx skier
09-14-2007, 03:56 PM
That stinks, Beau. Call the cops and let them handle it. I'd be getting the pepper spray, too.

1boarder
09-14-2007, 04:05 PM
We had a dog in my dad's neigborhood attack my dog and the owner had to pay for the vet bill. Animal control has deemed the dog dangerous and told my dad he can shoot the dog on site if it is out of its pen. Since they also told the owner this, the dog hasn't gotten out.

Back to your situation, I would do anything up to and including killing the dog to protect my family. Go by the law first, but if he attacks your 1 year old and wife the law is pretty pointless.

milkmania
09-14-2007, 04:13 PM
So there is a dog in our subdivision that is very aggressive towards other people and dogs. The owners keep it on a leash for most of the day and let it roam around for a few hours each day.

I got a call from my wife this morning (again) saying that she and my 1 year old son were nearly attacked (again)! We, along with others in the subdivision, have called the owners asking them to please keep the dog on a leash or in the house. They say they will but it never fails that a week or so later the dog is running out of it's yard, onto the road barking and growling at a passerby. We have also called animal control, but that has gotten us nowhere.

I guess today was not the day for that to happen. I got hot when my wife called. It takes quite-a-bit to pi$$ me off, but once I cross that threshold all he|| breaks lose. :o

I called the owner and it a "not so nice tone," told them that they had 2 choices. They can either keep the dog on a leash 24/7 or get rid of it. We'll see what happens.

Sorry for the rant. I feel better now. I guess I need to arm my wife with some pepper spray. The cut down shovel handle that she now has to carry may not be enough.

had to take a loose pit bull's life in my hands......

I won:mad:

bcampbe7
09-14-2007, 04:35 PM
... I would do anything up to and including killing the dog to protect my family...

No question!

wakolman
09-14-2007, 04:59 PM
I have a similar situation here. My wife, I, and our 1 year-old take walks and there is a Golden Retriever who is poorly disciplined. He runs out into the street and jumps up on you. I don't trust that he is always going to be friendly, so I make sure that my shoe meets his mouth when he is jumping at me. We are not "dog people" in the first place, so we don't actively seek out dog encounters. I did tell talk to the owner and told him that we have a problem with his dog leaving the yard. I told him that it isn't for me to say who can or can't own a dog, but when it is in the street and not on a leash, then something will be done about it. He was receptive to our concerns, saying that he doesn't even want the dog, but his 5 kids do. I have since had him over to do some HVAC work and we get along fine.

The only dog who won't hurt anybody is a dog who stays in his yard (or on a leash).

starman205
09-14-2007, 05:40 PM
I was just thinking the same thing....HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

River Rat
09-14-2007, 05:52 PM
We had a dog problem, one day I came home and found it on my porch trying to get in my house to get to my little dog......... I fed him to the gators:( I will not tolerate a dog around that I think will hurt my family, THE END

rodltg2
09-14-2007, 05:54 PM
We had a dog problem, one day I came home and found it on my porch trying to get in my house to get to my little dog......... I fed him to the gators:( I will not tolerate a dog around that I think will hurt my family, THE END

did you really???

River Rat
09-14-2007, 06:01 PM
did you really???
yep, If she wanted to keep the dog alive she should have kept it locked up! It wasn't a kids pet, just some lady that kept it in a pen and fed it. It WAS a VERY mean dog.

TX.X-30 fan
09-14-2007, 06:04 PM
yep, If she wanted to keep the dog alive she should have kept it locked up! It wasn't a kids pet, just some lady that kept it in a pen and fed it. It WAS a VERY mean dog.

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Good for you!!!!!!!!! :D

BrianM
09-14-2007, 06:13 PM
I am a total dog person but have ZERO tolerance for any dog that is the slighest bit aggressive. If animal control or the police won't take care of it I would. I would go over to the owner and tell them if the dog gets out again he won't have the problem again because you'll kill it. Take a walk witth the wife, daughter and a baseball bat.

TX.X-30 fan
09-14-2007, 06:14 PM
I understand this guy is good with dogs, And looking for work. :D

bcampbe7
09-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Wife, son and I are heading out for a walk. We'll see what happens.

Monte
09-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Wife, son and I are heading out for a walk. We'll see what happens.

I bet if you carry some Mace with you and spray him down on approach he won't mess with you again;)

stevo137
09-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Beau,

CALL THE POLICE as others have said.

Get it on paper now...

s

bcampbe7
09-14-2007, 08:32 PM
As I was putting my son in the stroller my neighbor pulled into my driveway.

He asked if he could buy my wife some bear spray so that if his dog charge her she would be able to spray the dog. I said that we had thought about that but didn't want the wind to blow the spray back into our son. He also asked if my wife carried a gun so that she could protect herself from dogs. :confused:

He said that he is going to get the fence fixed so that the dog will no longer get out. He also asked what I was planning on doing if the dog got out and came after my family again. He said that he felt threatened on the phone this morning and was wondering if I was going to come after him or the dog. :rolleyes: This guy is probably 60-70 years old and has MS. I apologized for making him feel threatened as that was not my intention. I simpy told him that he had two options as far as I could see. Keep the dog on a leash or get rid of it, plan and simple.

He also said that they were moving next Spring. Is it Spring yet? :D

Leroy
09-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Sounds like a great neighbor and he wants to do the right thing, if you can tell him what to do. His age and illness may hinder his thoughts on the right thing to do.

Good luck Beau, why not ask him to keep it in his house unless he goes out with it to use the restroom?

As I was putting my son in the stroller my neighbor pulled into my driveway.

He asked if he could buy my wife some bear spray so that if his dog charge her she would be able to spray the dog. I said that we had thought about that but didn't want the wind to blow the spray back into our son. He also asked if my wife carried a gun so that she could protect herself from dogs. :confused:

He said that he is going to get the fence fixed so that the dog will no longer get out. He also asked what I was planning on doing if the dog got out and came after my family again. He said that he felt threatened on the phone this morning and was wondering if I was going to come after him or the dog. :rolleyes: This guy is probably 60-70 years old and has MS. I apologized for making him feel threatened as that was not my intention. I simpy told him that he had two options as far as I could see. Keep the dog on a leash or get rid of it, plan and simple.

Monte
09-14-2007, 09:54 PM
He said that he felt threatened on the phone this morning and was wondering if I was going to come after him or the dog. :rolleyes: This guy is probably 60-70 years old and has MS.

Suuuure I see him playing the trump card. I doubt he felt threatened. He wanted to make YOU feel bad for HIS dog being a nusance. just my opinion...

bcampbe7
09-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I agree Monte... I went ahead and called the police tonight. They said to follow-up with animal control in the morning as they are the ones that generally deal with these situations. I will say that we have a very good animal control office. They are pretty on top of these things.

We are not the only neighbors that have complained to him either. I also found out tonight that his dog attacked another neighbor's dog a few months ago. The neighbor was walking their dog and this dog came out of the yard and attacked. When he came by the house this evening he acted like this is the first time anyone has called him. I don't know enough about MS to know whether or not it cause memory loss, but he sure acts like he doesn't have a clue whats going on.

Monte
09-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I agree Monte... I went ahead and called the police tonight. They said to follow-up with animal control in the morning as they are the ones that generally deal with these situations. I will say that we have a very good animal control office. They are pretty on top of these things.

We are not the only neighbors that have complained to him either. I also found out tonight that his dog attacked another neighbor's dog a few months ago. The neighbor was walking their dog and this dog came out of the yard and attacked. When he came by the house this evening he acted like this is the first time anyone has called him. I don't know enough about MS to know whether or not it cause memory loss, but he sure acts like he doesn't have a clue whats going on.

You did the right thing in my opinion. I work with a girl who has MS. It makes her very weak and tired. That has nothing to do with his dog terrorizing the neighborhood. It only takes one bite to hurt a child or worse. Dog ownership has its responsibilities. If he is unable to care for the dog, properly train it, or at best contain it, he doesn't need a dog. Stick to your guns. It may be your own child you are saving..

Leroy
09-14-2007, 10:43 PM
When we called the police we found out the bad dogs had also bitten 9 other dogs in our neighborhood. I haven't heard of any problems since.

Maristar210
09-14-2007, 10:46 PM
BC

Sounds to me like the guy is incpacitated due to MS. And it sounds like your a jerk too 8p 8p 8p

I could not resisit, I love you Beau...

Monte
09-14-2007, 10:49 PM
BC

Sounds to me like the guy is incpacitated due to MS. And it sounds like your a jerk too 8p 8p 8p

Shut up 210 we have a real problem here 8p

bcampbe7
09-14-2007, 11:08 PM
BC

Sounds to me like the guy is incpacitated due to MS. And it sounds like your a jerk too 8p 8p

I'm just hoping I get mentioned in the next sign show! :D 8p

Willski
09-14-2007, 11:25 PM
It is sad the guy has MS, but a pet is not a toy that everyone can have. As stated before, pet ownership comes with responsibilities, not only to the pet you own, but also to other living around you. Dogs can be very dangerous if they are aggressive.

stevo137
09-14-2007, 11:47 PM
It's tough when you are dealing with someone such as this but it's about protecting family first.

Also, you never know when psycho dog may go off and it could get very ugly, FAST.

I have been the route of trying to work it out with "nice" people many times and have come to the conclusion that you need to make a decision and set a definitive course of action to protect yourself from situations that can elevate into a major problem.

I sound like an old guy don't I! 8p

Hoosier Bob
09-14-2007, 11:50 PM
What kind of dog as I am late here? Walk by the house and if you see that dog jump on it, field dress it and leave it on their doorstep no charge! I am serious! If a dog comes at me it is done. The owners can make their choice as well. If the usual "hey boy how you doin'" provokes him or her he needs to go away. The common courtesy would be to ask them if they like jerkey or franks!:mad:

Monte
09-14-2007, 11:58 PM
What kind of dog as I am late here? Walk by the house and if you see that dog jump on it, field dress it and leave it on their doorstep no charge! I am serious! If a dog comes at me it is done. The owners can make their choice as well. If the usual "hey boy how you doin'" provokes him or her he needs to go away. The common courtesy would be to ask them if they like jerkey or franks!:mad:

HB good to see you...

Hoosier Bob
09-15-2007, 12:04 AM
I wish I was being seen at MM! Nice to see my favorite closet Tristar Lover other than me as well!;) HB good to see you...

Monte
09-15-2007, 12:09 AM
I wish I was being seen at MM! Nice to see my favorite closet Tristar Lover other than me as well!;)

Closet my a$$.. I love my boat. And it is Paid for.. Plus I have extra balast now;) 500lbs worth:D

Monte
09-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Yes... I wish I was at MMIII PM to YOU

BriEOD
09-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Shotgun and some double 00 buck.

bcampbe7
09-15-2007, 08:00 AM

LOL HB!

It's a Pyrenees...

ProTour X9
09-15-2007, 08:01 AM
More like .338 Ultra Mag!

Hoosier Bob
09-15-2007, 08:48 PM
My first dog! His name was Barney. 170 lbs of muscle! He was very friendly and would run up to anything. He would also jump on anything and hump anything! Seeing your lovely lady this may be his problem!;) If aggressive these dogs are dangerous. If he is just being curious/playful get to know him. Understand the difference first. If aggressive I vote he should be dressed!:mad:

Definately not a dog that should run loose.LOL HB!

It's a Pyrenees...

milkmania
09-15-2007, 08:53 PM
My first dog! His name was Barney. 170 lbs of muscle! He was very friendly and would run up to anything. He would also jump on anything and hump anything! Seeing your lovely lady this may be his problem!;) If aggressive these dogs are dangerous. If he is just being curious/playful get to know him. Understand the difference first. If aggressive I vote he should be dressed!:mad:

Definately not a dog that should run loose.

you fixed it before I could8p

Hoosier Bob
09-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I am QUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK! I YAM EB KNURD TUB I MA RETSAF NAHT UOY!

milkmania
09-15-2007, 09:09 PM
I am QUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK! I YAM EB KNURD TUB I MA RETSAF NAHT UOY!

you do know what I'm talking about then, lol!!!;)

Hoosier Bob
09-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Latter or earlier? I am guessing it was that mistake! It pays to re-read your posts!:D you do know what I'm talking about then, lol!!!;)

milkmania
09-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Latter or earlier? I am guessing it was that mistake! It pays to re-read your posts!:D

I was talking about where you mentioned "if it was the latter" then dress the dog....

but your order was out of whack:uglyhamme

Maristar210
09-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Latter or earlier? I am guessing it was that mistake! It pays to re-read your posts!:D

LATTER?????

bigmac
09-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Hmmm, it's always weird when I have a dog problem, it seems to go away after I change the anitfreeze in my car. Not sure why that is?I hope you're being rhetorical. Shooting a dog in self-defense when it's attacking you is one thing. Sneaking into the neighbor's yard later and poisoning it is despicable, IMHO.

Maristar210
09-16-2007, 09:47 AM
I hope you're being rhetorical. Shooting a dog in self-defense when it's attacking you is one thing. Sneaking into the neighbor's yard later and poisoning it is despicable, IMHO.

I agree. I think, hope he was kidding..

atlfootr
09-16-2007, 05:19 PM
So there is a dog in our subdivision that is very aggressive towards other people and dogsWhat breed of dog is he?

spanielman50
09-16-2007, 06:37 PM
remind him how defenseless your one year old is and offer to help him
find a new dog he can love and trust,,,,,,,,out with the bad and in with the good,,,,,well worth the vet bill and replacement cost to have peace

Hoosier Bob
09-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Beau said earlier that it was a Pyrenees. My first dog as a child. Big dogs! Can be aggressive but most likely just wants to play!;) What breed of dog is he?

Hoosier Bob
09-16-2007, 08:23 PM
I would agree but this is just a comment. If a dog attacks you deal with it now! I am all for putting the dog and the owners out! The dog is merely a product of some dumbhead owners. Unfortunately this product will tear your arm off. Mac, can I poison the owners?:o I hope you're being rhetorical. Shooting a dog in self-defense when it's attacking you is one thing. Sneaking into the neighbor's yard later and poisoning it is despicable, IMHO.

TheOneandOnly
09-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I have 2 big italian mastiffs about 100lbs apiece. Both will run back and forth in the yard when someone comes next to the fence, of course they are bread for security dogs, but they have never attempted to bite anyone. My dogs they just want the attention and want to be petted. However some believe they are aggressive when in all reality they just want to be petted. IS the dog just looking for attention since it seems the owner is old and probably doesnt give him that much?

If the dog is truely aggressive and isnt just looking for attention get a cops 50KV stun gun that will stop him, if he bites her tell her to poke the dog in the eye... Easier remedy walk a different way dont go past his yard. I never understand why people that are scared or feel threated of a dog constantly will walk by the same house over and over....

bcampbe7
09-16-2007, 10:12 PM
For the record, we have to walk past this house to get anywhere in our subdivision. They are 3 houses down from us.

The dog is looking for a fight or to bite someone. I have only had to deal with it once. I was walking our dog (Yellow Lab) and my wife was pushing our son in the stroller. The dog came running out of it's yard and I thought that maybe if I let my dog and the other dog sniff each other (shake hands) that maybe it would be OK. Not a chance. The dog started growling and attacking our dog. I had to pull them apart. There are many other dogs in the neighborhood. None of them have ever acted the way this one does every time someone (anyone) walks past the house.

We also thought that maybe it was just being aggressive towards our dog, or dogs in general. We found out tonight that that is not the case. This dog has came out of the yard growling at other people in the subdivision. One lady had to fight the dog off with a stick and run into her house.

So far (after my little talk with the owner) the dog has been on a leash. The owner walks the dog around the property (5 acres), but other than that it is tied up on the side of the house.

TheOneandOnly
09-16-2007, 10:31 PM
thats good hes doing something about it. Just always bring a treat should he get off the leash toss him that :)

Scott
09-17-2007, 05:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, has the dog ever bitten a person or are we talking about a dog that displays dog aggression? I may have missed some of the circumstances from skipping some of the replys. The reason I ask is if the dog has bitten a person, its not a hard process to have the dog declared vicious. It doesn't sound like animal control is working that angle, so I was wondering the "vicious" circumstances that have you wigged out.

bcampbe7
09-17-2007, 09:17 AM
To my knowledge the dog has not bitten a person.

spanielman50
09-21-2007, 10:20 PM
i won the nationals in 82 84 and 87 with spinger spaniel field trials.
i've had 36 dogs at our house at the same time and
THIS NEIGHBOR DOG HAS TO GO,,,,,,IF AGGRESSION IS'NT DEALT WITH IT INCREASES
have the owner get rid of this dog... NOW