PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba Wax

Scott
09-14-2007, 03:11 AM
Believing that their is no one more anal about keeping a boat clean, mastercraft owners please advise me. I have heard horror stories about using carnuba wax on gel coats and it turning your pretty whites to a nice yellow. I have a buffet of waxes and have a couple I really want to try on my mastercraft, but the thought of causing my boat to turn yellow causes me severe stress. What is your wisdom on the subject.:confused:

TMCNo1
09-14-2007, 07:02 AM
I think it's BS. I've used just about every wax there is in 45 years, 30 years boating and canuba has never created that kind of effect for me

Scott
09-14-2007, 07:07 AM
I was told this by several people. I started looking at wholesale products for boats, southern marine, benrock etc. and all of these "marine" suppliers seem to have carnuba for sale in their books. So I kinda thought it may be b.s but I really wanted to hear it from people who are dilligent in the appearance of their boats.

mayo93prostar
09-14-2007, 07:53 AM
TMCNo1 is the most diligent person around. You have your answer!

Good Morning to all.

justinlkgb
09-14-2007, 07:57 AM
And a good morning to you too:)

TMCNo1
09-14-2007, 09:54 AM
TMCNo1 is the most diligent person around. You have your answer!

Good Morning to all.

Thanks for the kudo!
Having been in the Sign and Pinstriping business for nearly 38 years, I not only apply wax to my own vehicles and I am asked for opinions on waxes by my customers, for good longivity for the work I did for them. Prior to pinstriping or hand lettering just about every imaginable vehicle known to man except the Space Shuttle, I have to remove waxes and polishes to assure the paint sticks to very clean paint. Outside off the bottom of a boat that sits in the water a lot, offroad racers, mudbog vehicles and dirt track race cars are the most difficult to keep wax on to protect the paint and or gelcoat. The acidity in the water, calcium mixed in the race track surface to help maintain moisture in the dirt and the harsh chemical washes used to clean the mud and dirt off race vehicles does a number on waxes and paints.
Pure paste waxes, (no silicones) have proven best IMO, in that it lays on the paint/gelcoat surfaces and adds a layer of protection on the surface, rather than soaking deep into the finish and protecting from within, creating water spots on the surface of the paint, not on the wax.

JimN
09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
TMC- remember when Meguiar drove around with his new products in his car? Mirror Glaze was great wax and it was mainly carnauba.

Granite_33
09-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Any opinions about using Polish instead of Wax? I switched to Polish this year based upon some of the information I have been reading about the benefits of it as opposed to Wax.

I know both sides give their "sell job", but now really sure which would be the best.

Any opinions?

Mike

TMCNo1
09-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I think it's alot of marketing, to sell it, but Polishes normally glaze (fill) scratches/buffer swirls and add nutrients rather than add a layer of protection and are used prior to non-cleaner (abrasive) waxes, like paste waxes.

east tx skier
09-14-2007, 11:42 AM
I was told this by several people. I started looking at wholesale products for boats, southern marine, benrock etc. and all of these "marine" suppliers seem to have carnuba for sale in their books. So I kinda thought it may be b.s but I really wanted to hear it from people who are dilligent in the appearance of their boats.

After a fresh coat of carnuba wax.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/The%20Last%20Waltz/PICT0011.jpg

Sodar
09-14-2007, 11:57 AM
I have tried most everything that is sold at West Marine and thus far, I have been impressed with two products.

This:
http://www.myboatstore.com/prodimages/trewax.gif

And This:

And these two give me this:

east tx skier
09-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I thought you boat was white?

;) ;)

Sodar
09-14-2007, 01:22 PM
I thought you boat was white?

;) ;)