PDA

View Full Version : Maristar Wakeboard tower question

msanantonio
09-12-2007, 05:32 PM
I have a 2000 Maristar 230. I want to put a tower on for next season. I see there seems to be a couple of styles and don't see much on the newer design. What's the story, I see new dimension has one that looks nice and claims OEM. It appears to be two pieces. The first section follows the contour of the windshield and the second section is mountied to the first section.
The newer design has the racks that are intergral and the back section looks boxy. I don't see much info on it out there. Is is purely OEM from a dealer?.
What are the prefrences out there. I've seen both on boats while surfing. Personnally like the newer one but heard that the price is up there and I understand that the newer one has a shaking problem that has a fix from the MC. Any idea on the cost of this one. I like how the bimini top is mounted.

Oh- Whats the part # for the water pump impellor for these boats. I have the LTR engine. (says it should be changed annually, On my old boat I change it every couple of years)

Thanks.
Mark

Monte
09-12-2007, 05:42 PM
There is a huge thread somewhere about the cost of the newer tower. I think it is around $2,500. New dimension towers can be bought for around $1500. The rest is personnal preference. Good luck with it

Mostly this is a bump for you.

There are several dealers on here that can get you what you need. MYMC, Jim@BAWS, and erkohler are a few

3event
09-12-2007, 05:47 PM
My dealer quoted me $5,000 for a new tower installed (the one you described: "The newer design has the racks that are intergral and the back section looks boxy"). So, ouch, thanks not much! I presume a dealer is the only place to get a new style tower but that's just a guess.

If I did it, I would get the prior generation version from New Dimension (built by them for MC), and find someone to install it for me.

msanantonio
09-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback
Like the newer lines but the older design looks a bit more sturdy. I have time as the season is ending for us up in northern NY. Kids are back in school, sports and work take up a lot my time. Probably would do it myself... Not afraid to drill into the boat done it before with my first one. just need to take a lot of time up front and double check before you drill.....

Maristar210
09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Look at my pictures. Mine was 5 g's.....

rektek
09-12-2007, 09:25 PM
I installed a ND tower 2yrs ago on our 2000 Maristar 210 and have been more than happy with it.
the owner Wayne Hartford was a pleasure to deal with. I like the looks of the old zeroflex design better than the mc oem new tower.

you can install it by yourself, I did. a extra pair of hands would make a huge difference however. the complete assembled unit weighs around 80lbs.

PM me if you have any specific questions, there's a little more than just drilling 4 holes, you'll need backing plates and chamfered holes to prevent gelcoat cracking, click my profile for a few pics.

spending $4-5k on a 2000 yr model boat doesn't make much sense, go for the ND or sell your boat and buy one with a tower.

also wakeside is advertising a oem looking zeroflex tower for your boat, it may be a ND as well but I'm not sure, wakeside is a very good company to deal with, drop them a email.

I noticed new dimensions is having a sale right now.

http://picasaweb.google.com/unajeff/Mastercraft for a few pics

cheers
jeff

Leroy
09-12-2007, 11:55 PM
New Dimension was recommended to me.

http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/home.html

I like the look and quote was like $2200 for tower, speakers, lights and rack I believe. I'm just waiting for $2200 to fall in my lap now!

msanantonio
09-12-2007, 11:55 PM
I paid 22K for the boat with 153 hrs on it. Boat is in excellent shape.Owner was in a bind. I agree that 5K is a lot of money. I tend to hang on to my toys. My first MC was a 1988 tri star . I just sold it to the neighbor because they've liked the boat almostfrom day one. ... I have two boys 10 and 13 and I still like to cut the wakes from time to time on my ski. althought I must admit its like the circle of life and I am now spending most of my time behind the wheel.

Thanks for the advice

Thrall
09-13-2007, 04:47 PM
New Dimension was recommended to me.

http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/home.html

I like the look and quote was like $2200 for tower, speakers, lights and rack I believe. I'm just waiting for $2200 to fall in my lap now!

Unless tower prices have gone way down since I was looking, $2200 is a smokin deal if all the xtras come with it as you described. IIRC, a new ND tower for my PS190 was about $2200 bare, no extras.

AirJunky
09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Two of my neighbors have a Mastercraft X1 & an X2. Both are complaining about issues with their tower. I hear that Samson is busy selling their towers to replace the new MC towers due to failures.

So I had to go shake one & see just how bad it is. Check out this video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7314075993144713846&hl=en). You have to play this using Quicktime. The quality of the video is horrible (cell phone & Google's compression?) but I think you'll get the point......... I can't imagine getting it out on the choppy water with any amount of gear & 4 speakers on it.

Leroy
09-13-2007, 08:19 PM
You are right, I believe that is for tower without accessories. It wasn't clear when I went through the site.

Unless tower prices have gone way down since I was looking, $2200 is a smokin deal if all the xtras come with it as you described. IIRC, a new ND tower for my PS190 was about $2200 bare, no extras.

jbanczak
09-26-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm also looking at the ND towers, and from what I can tell - for tower, 2 sets of racks, and 2 speaks - on sale - it is over $3100.... not cheap. Any insight here I am missing?

We are really looking for something to serve as a board rack - wakesurf behind our 230, but not much wakeboarding - seems like a lot to drop.

msanantonio
09-27-2007, 09:42 AM
I know there are a lot of opinions and concerns out there on tower shake. I am lookind at it in this order;

proper design- minimize the chance of damage to the boat, as well as structual quality welds, hardware,manufacturer support etc..
Appearance- I would include functionality with that . At the very least it can't detract from the look of the boat. Our boats have an elegant look to them and that in part is why we own them ( along with being great ski/wakeboard boats)
Cost- Everyone has their bottom line on how much to spend
Ease of installation- Some can do it themselves and some should not...

I have been surfing the web to find other 1999 to 2003 Maristar 230's that have towers to see what I like and dislike. And have used this thread to get some ideas...

It looks like $,3,000 give or take for a top end tower(ND,zero flex, with monster and XTP a little less. and this would include the basic extras. (racks, and maybe speakers...) - owner installation
or
At least $5,000 for the OEM installed system (Which if I am not mistaken are the unit that owners have had concerns about ).

So if anyone has any pictures. I would love to see them, and Iam still open to suggestions and opinions..

Thanks
Mark

dpolen
09-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Here's a link to a pic of my maristar with the monster tower...I've got a total of $1900 invested in mine including the bimini top. No shakes/noise whatsoever.

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4181&cat=2