PDA

View Full Version : '07 X2 Tower Braces

tr6coug
09-12-2007, 03:46 AM
OK, I got the '08 tower brace struts from my dealer under warranty last week and I installed them on my 07 X2. Prior to installing the struts, the tower swayed a lot even in light chop and the front collars needed to be tightened after every trip out. You could move the tower just by gently pushing on the speakers or near the top of the rear support leg. After installing, the tower is MUCH more rigid. I tested it out this weekend in some rough water and the tower barely moved and everything was still tight after the trip.

Personally I don't think they look too bad. The color matches the tower exactly and the machining is well done.

Installation was pretty easy. You need to completely remove the tower speakers to add the upper strut bracket. The bracket then bolts to the tower, and the speaker connects to the bracket (it drops the speaker about 3/8"). The strut connects to the rear support at the top of the board rack with a swivel joint which allows you to align everything before locking it down tight.

I'm satisfied with the fix. Yes, the tower should have been designed better in the first place, but I'm happy that MC came through and provided the struts under warranty. Here's a few pics of the parts and the install.

Parts kit:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/x2coug/09-04-2007_2016_IMG_6739.jpg

Upper bracket and fasteners:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/x2coug/09-04-2007_2016_IMG_6740.jpg

Before:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/x2coug/09-05-2007_1713_IMG_6746.jpg

After:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd222/x2coug/09-06-2007_1928_IMG_6748.jpg

surfacetension
09-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Cool , I don't think they look that bad . I'm just glad there is a fix. And that they took the time to make it look good, any problems with the racks ??

Roonie's
09-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Your dealer warrantied the tower braces?

ttu
09-12-2007, 09:38 AM
i really think that mc should supply the braces under warranty! looks great-poor design.

my tower shakes horrible. i would really like to have two more speakers and lights but am worried the additional weight might cause some type of failure.

SkiDog
09-12-2007, 09:44 AM
OK, I got the '08 tower brace struts from my dealer under warranty last week and I installed them on my 07 X2. Prior to installing the struts, the tower swayed a lot even in light chop and the front collars needed to be tightened after every trip out. You could move the tower just by gently pushing on the speakers or near the top of the rear support leg. After installing, the tower is MUCH more rigid. I tested it out this weekend in some rough water and the tower barely moved and everything was still tight after the trip.

Personally I don't think they look too bad. The color matches the tower exactly and the machining is well done.

Installation was pretty easy. You need to completely remove the tower speakers to add the upper strut bracket. The bracket then bolts to the tower, and the speaker connects to the bracket (it drops the speaker about 3/8"). The strut connects to the rear support at the top of the board rack with a swivel joint which allows you to align everything before locking it down tight.

I'm satisfied with the fix. Yes, the tower should have been designed better in the first place, but I'm happy that MC came through and provided the struts under warranty. Here's a few pics of the parts and the install.

Parts kit:

Before:

After:

That looks good, but, do the swivel racks still swivel now that the braces are on?

SaltwaterMC
09-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes, the racks still swivel.

conway400
09-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Does this problem only affect 07 and up towers?

Roonie's
09-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Does this problem only affect 07 and up towers?

Yes 07 and up but I have been wrong before

tr6coug
09-12-2007, 10:45 AM
The racks still rotate fine and I haven't had any problem with boards hitting the struts. It is just on the 07 and 08 towers that need this fix. The 06 towers had a double tube design that is much stiffer.

Yes, MC supplied them under warranty.

With the strut improvement, I wouldn't have any problem with adding 2 more speaker/light cans.

surfacetension
09-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Just to clear a point , The dealer does NOT warrenty anything, Mastercraft warenties the boat, This seems to have fallen into that grey area. Without doing a full blown recall, they seem to war. on a one to one type deal. Your dealer CAN NOT make the decision to war. them . You need to contact Mastercraft and make a request, They were very nice and prompt and war. mine . The cost for the braces is 313.00, But you need to get the OK from Mastercraft not your dealer, I am surprised that they don't come as STD on the 08 if the tower is the same???????

Roonie's
09-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Just to clear a point , The dealer does NOT warrenty anything, Mastercraft warenties the boat, This seems to have fallen into that grey area. Without doing a full blown recall, they seem to war. on a one to one type deal. Your dealer CAN NOT make the decision to war. them . You need to contact Mastercraft and make a request, They were very nice and prompt and war. mine . The cost for the braces is 313.00, But you need to get the OK from Mastercraft not your dealer, I am surprised that they don't come as STD on the 08 if the tower is the same???????

Who do we contact at MC for the warranty?

surfacetension
09-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I just went to the website ( Here I think) and contacted MC war. dept . wrote them a quick note and they OK'd it for the dealer to put in a war. claim

surfacetension
09-12-2007, 11:28 AM
You go to the contact page on MC website and hit Warr. and Tech . send them an email thru that , Hope this helps

MK

Roonie's
09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
thanks.... I will try it. Boat is currently at dealer tightening tower LOL.

edit... sent them an email. Thanks for the info as I didn't know warranty could be done this way.

tr6coug
09-12-2007, 12:09 PM
That is the way I went on this. I emailed MC through their web site. They emailed back saying that they would cover the struts under warranty and that I should contact my dealer to order them. The struts arrived about a week later. The service guy couldn't believe that they covered them under warranty.

I think MC is doing a great thing by covering this. Fixing a problem like this quickly is what will create loyal customers. Thanks MasterCraft!

surfacetension
09-12-2007, 12:12 PM
The old saying is "You don't ask you don't Get" I still wonder why the 08 is the same tower. they should install the braces at the factory. Nice fix anyway .

tr6coug
09-12-2007, 12:47 PM
The old saying is "You don't ask you don't Get" I still wonder why the 08 is the same tower. they should install the braces at the factory. Nice fix anyway .

Agreed. I think the 08 has the same tower because it would cost too much to re-design and re-tool for a new tower when they can fix the existing design easily. Plus the tower still does look good. I saw some 08s at the dealer that had the struts installed.

surfacetension
09-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Looks like a nice place to hang the lines

Roonie's
09-12-2007, 04:48 PM
OK... I got a response back already same day. Here is what they said. I forwarded the response onto my dealer since boat is currently there anyways.

You need to contact your Dealer and have them contact their parts/warranty representative here at MasterCraft regarding your tower problem. They will have to get warranty authorization # for your tower.

surfacetension
09-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Better bring that in to your dealer, How long have you had the boat? It all comes down to MC to make the call but I guess they want to hear the complaint from the dealer????, They just told ME to call my dealer and they OK'd it.

Roonie's
09-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Better bring that in to your dealer, How long have you had the boat? It all comes down to MC to make the call but I guess they want to hear the complaint from the dealer????, They just told ME to call my dealer and they OK'd it.

My boat is two months old. Dealer said they would submit it for me.

surfacetension
09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Great glad to hear it worked out , what did you have for a boat before the X2??

eswolfgang
09-12-2007, 07:46 PM
i went directly to the dealer for my tower braces, they handled all the warranty stuff, they just told me when the braces came in... they would have done the install as well but i decided to install, only takes about 45 minutes, hardest part was finding the right size allen wrenches

SaltwaterMC
09-12-2007, 11:19 PM
The 2008 boats do come with braces if you order at least one set of tower speakers. No speakers, no braces.

Roonie's
09-13-2007, 09:26 AM
That might be why I didn't get a quick "OK, here are your braces, so sorry for the shaking of your tower because of our poor design", from MC. Currently I have no speakers but will be getting two come early spring. My boat originally didn't come with any. The dealer also wasn't sure if the braces could be attached without the two tower speakers on the ends?

surfacetension
09-13-2007, 09:55 AM
They look like they can be put on with or without speakers the collar would just have the cap on it . Speakers or not I would still like to see them on all the boats with this tower

Roonie's
09-13-2007, 09:58 AM
agreed 100%. My wife was actually afraid to sit in our rear seat under speed because of worry about the structural integrity of the tower because it shook so much when we first got the boat. My long term fear is spider cracking at the tower mounts in the future due to so much shaking and moving.

Lennyp04
09-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Need some help, my tower shakes too and I emailed MasterCraft about 6-8 days ago and they never gave me a response back. What do i need to do to get the braces and are they covered under warranty?

Roonie's
09-23-2007, 08:27 PM
I emailed them on the link provided in this thread. Then my dealer followed up on it. He said they evaluate it on a case by case basis. Mine will be installed this week hopefully.

sand2snow22
09-23-2007, 08:51 PM
I emailed them on the link provided in this thread. Then my dealer followed up on it. He said they evaluate it on a case by case basis. Mine will be installed this week hopefully.

There are a lot of cases to be fixed!! Too bad a lot of people (not on this site) will most likely never know about it.....

TheOneandOnly
09-23-2007, 09:50 PM
that is just sad, they (MC) should just send a set to each persons house that ordered an 07 so they can move on, instead of useing a case by case basis BS response

AirJunky
09-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Good to see that MC has stepped up to fix this tower. I've been on a couple of boats equipped with this tower & it was so bad that I had to get this video to show it (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7314075993144713846&hl=en). Sorry for the crappy cell quality but you get the idea.

I just hope you all get those supports before someone gets hurt.

03 35th Anniversary
09-24-2007, 04:47 AM

Parts kit:

Before:

After:
Wow......It's not an eye sore, looks good.

Lennyp04
09-24-2007, 06:27 AM

Is this something that if I emailed MC I should go to my dealer and ask about them? My boat is out of the water for the season now so there really isnt a rush, but I do want to see if I can get them under warranty.

Roonie's
09-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Is this something that if I emailed MC I should go to my dealer and ask about them? My boat is out of the water for the season now so there really isnt a rush, but I do want to see if I can get them under warranty.

Yes go to your dealer and ask them to follow up on it. My dealer told me they most likely got in trouble handling it through the web site rather than through the dealers as they should. Have your dealer submit it. Do it this year as it is still under warranty.

Diesel
09-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Good to see that MC has stepped up to fix this tower. I've been on a couple of boats equipped with this tower & it was so bad that I had to get this video to show it (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7314075993144713846&hl=en). Sorry for the crappy cell quality but you get the idea.

I just hope you all get those supports before someone gets hurt.

Wow that is really scary! :eek:

It's worse than the tower on my 05......which I didn't think was possible. For liability purposes I would think everyone should just be sent the braces at no charge.

Roonie's
09-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Wow that is really scary! :eek:

It's worse than the tower on my 05......which I didn't think was possible. For liability purposes I would think everyone should just be sent the braces at no charge.

Yep that is almost what mine looks like too. It is worse in waves and at speed the whole thing rattles. It is a little better since I had dealer tighten mine but you still get the idea. My long term concern is spider cracking at the tower mounts from so much shaking going on.

beatle78
09-24-2007, 01:15 PM
There are a lot of cases to be fixed!! Too bad a lot of people (not on this site) will most likely never know about it.....

That's why I already let my neighbor know!! He has been complaining about the lousy tower design for '07 all summer.

sand2snow22
09-24-2007, 01:20 PM
That's why I already let my neighbor know!! He has been complaining about the lousy tower design for '07 all summer.

If I were MC I would recall and fix all of them, rather be than be cheap, leave a bad taste in their customers mouth....

Lennyp04
09-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Next time at the lake i will talk to the MC mechanic...hes a good guy should be able to hook me up

AirJunky
09-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Yep that is almost what mine looks like too. It is worse in waves and at speed the whole thing rattles. It is a little better since I had dealer tighten mine but you still get the idea. My long term concern is spider cracking at the tower mounts from so much shaking going on.

I just heard the guys from Samson are crazy busy upgrading towers on newer MCs for this exact reason. MC had better hop on the damage control bus quick if they want to control this situation.

Dutch
10-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Just got back from a ski vacation and am glad I read this thread, I live on a lake that very seldom gets rough enough for me to see how bad the tower could shake, I towed it over a pass and skied for 10 days on a bigger lake that had a few days of rough weather, My wife started wearing our wake board helmet when she sat in the back seat. It was that bad, I have all 4 speakers and usually have my ski and my wifes wake board in the racks, way to much weight. I also worry with this much movement that there could be some type of stuctural damage at the mounts. I've contacted the dealership to get a set but havn't gotten a firm commitment yet. But just towing the boat down the road the tower is moving all over the place with every bump or pot hole. I can watch it in my truck side mirrors.
Warranty or not the braces are a must.

Roonie's
10-04-2007, 10:57 AM
there is no reaon MC shouldn't warranty these. It is due to their faulty design that the tower shakes so much anyways and they are all on boats still under full factory warranty. Currently getting mine installed at dealer now as they are winterizing boat at same time. They were coverd by warranty.

Willytown
10-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Are they seeing the same problems with the 08 X2's?

Roonie's
10-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Are they seeing the same problems with the 08 X2's?

Most 08's come with the tower braces already installed. It is just not X2's but all 07 and 08 towers that have this problem.

Dutch
10-04-2007, 11:47 AM
I have a 07 X14, I think all the towers are the same for the 07 and 08's in this size, I was told they went to a larger diameter tubing size for the bigger boats, I don't see how it could be any different with any boat that has this tower, Alot of it could be how much weight you have, ie: speakers,and boards. No matter what it needs to be improved. I'm just glad that there is an improvement posible.

ttu
10-05-2007, 08:53 AM
called dealer yesterday to have them check and see if they can get the braces in under warranty. have to wait a week and check back.

but they did finally get the chrome exhaust tip in. :rolleyes:

Archimedes
10-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Most 08's come with the tower braces already installed. It is just not X2's but all 07 and 08 towers that have this problem.

Course the braces don't appear in any of the marketing pictures. ;)

Given MC knows about this issue and has for some time now, for them not to be telling new customers about it and installing the braces before delivery is just bad business, IMO.

Roonie's
10-19-2007, 07:33 PM
FYI....... MC is currently writing a service bulletin for 07 tower braces fix.

Lennyp04
10-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Called my dealer about 2 weeks ago and they got back to me two days later with new I like to hear...they are covering the braces under warranty

Stanfield
10-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Does your 07 factory bimini work with the braces? I heard that it wouldn't which is why the bimini changed for 08, but would like to hear from someone with the 07 tower, bimini, and braces.

Thanks

Roonie's
10-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I was told by my dealer that the 08 tower braces are different then the 07 tower braces. I am assuming it is because of bimini. I will have both on my boat later this week and will be able to tell you then.

JGMinano
10-25-2007, 10:37 AM
That's interesting -- my dealer just installed braces on my 07 X-2 (covered under warranty, by the way) and didn't mention any incompatability with my factory bimini. Of course, I didn't think to actually check myself and "unfold" the bimini, and my boat is now in dry stack storage 100 miles away. Also, no one on any of the various tower braces threads has evey mentioned anything about the braces causing a problem with the factory bimini. Can someone out there with a 07 tower and braces comment?

Stanfield
10-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Hopefully I'm wrong, it is just what I was told. Which is why I would like to hear from someone with direct knowledge.

Willytown
10-25-2007, 01:59 PM
How are hte 08 braces different?

Stanfield
11-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Any update on this from someone that has the braces and original factory bimini?

Roonie's
11-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Braces are on back order from my dealer or something lame like that. He said they will get them this winter and install them then as well as 6 other peoples too.

SDAhockey21
11-15-2007, 03:16 PM
No interferance with Factory Bimini on our 07 X2 with braces. Actually once you install them it seems like they were always there, you don't even notice them. At first i was thinking it would ruin the whole look of the tower, but really until i got back on this thread i forgot about the braces entirely

Vern Swieringa
11-15-2007, 03:37 PM
I was out on Lake Michigan and hit a major league boat wake and the bracket to my '07 tower snapped right off the tower. We took it slow all the way home, while my son held the tower together. Dealership said braces would help. He didn't say anything about warranty though. Could be because its an '07 tower on an '06 boat, installed aftermarket. However, next Spring I will be putting the braces on warranty or no warranty.

tr6coug
11-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Any update on this from someone that has the braces and original factory bimini?

The braces don't interfere at all with the bimini. The bimini is mounted to the front tower legs and the braces are mounted between the rear legs and the cross bar. There is a picture on the first page of this thread.

SaltwaterMC
11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Just another shameless request... If you have an '07 or '08 X-Star call MasterCraft and tell them they need to make the braces for our towers. Thanks.

ttu
11-15-2007, 05:00 PM
come on. they are not needed. i like watching it shake like a polaroid picture

ridesdirt
11-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Just another shameless request... If you have an '07 or '08 X-Star call MasterCraft and tell them they need to make the braces for our towers. Thanks.

Is there a particular person we should direct our concerns to?

jweischen
11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
I ordered an '08 X2 and picked it up in August- no tower speakers. Upon using the boat we had a lot of tower shake, and I read this thread and discovered other owners with a similar issue. The dealer ordered the braces with the understanding they would be on warranty. When they came in the story changed- they were only free if the boat was ordered with 2 or more tower speakers. They charged me dealer cost ($273), no labor. I am happy to have the braces- they look fine- work with the bimini top.

I contacted MC in an attempt to be reimbursed the cost. Same story as the dealer told me- braces not needed/included unless you have tower speakers. They did tell me on the '07's they do send braces for free in most cases. They claim the '08 and '07 towers are different structurally. But in my opinion the '08 is too flexible, with or without speakers.

JGMinano
11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I had a chance to see my boat this past weekend (in storage) and can also confirm there is NO compatability issue between the 07 braces and a 07 factory bimini.

Lennyp04
11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
I called my dealer and they hooked me up with a pair of braces. They will be very nice for next season.

SaltwaterMC
11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
The header is different on the '08s and late '07s. There is a fatter piece of tubing at the bases of the header where it connects to the rear tower legs. The standard size tubing is welded to these beefier sections. Where the header mounts to the rear tower legs is the main stress point, so I guess the figured if they put some fatter tubing there it would help. I don't know, but if I owned a boat that braces were available for, they would be on my tower regardless if I had any tower accessories or not.

TOYOMAN
11-20-2007, 02:11 AM
I whould like to know if any one has any pics of 2008 braces that are updated. I was told that thay are clamp on not bolt on. If any one has
any pics that will help to see how thay look. I will be getting some soon from my local dealer. I also had to contact mastercraft to get them to warranty them. I talked to mastercraft 9-07 and thay told me about the updated braces and i could install them my self.

SaltwaterMC
11-20-2007, 06:56 PM
They are very easy to install, but they are bolt on. Allen wrenches are the only required tools.

wpstevenson
11-20-2007, 11:21 PM
They came standard equipment on my 2008 x2 with 4 tower speakers.

ttu
11-28-2007, 05:19 PM
i have been told they are on back order.

anyone have a idea of when they will be avail again?

Roonie's
11-28-2007, 05:29 PM
No, but I am waiting for them too. My dealer told me they are in the process of writing a service bulletin for 07 towers to fix them with the braces. They also said they will get them hopefully mid winter. I have been patiently waiting for them since early Sept. but probably won't see them till Dec/Jan maybe. At this point who knows?? All I know is I better have them come boating season next year.

edit; They said 6 other 07's were on the list waiting for the braces from our dealership too.

Lennyp04
11-28-2007, 05:37 PM
My dealership told me back in september that they would have them sometime soon. Well I was at the lake 2 weekends ago and she said they should have them within the next few weeks. But I have been wrong before!

Hollywood
11-29-2007, 02:13 PM
How does something like that even leave the factory?! Tower flex isn't anything new, and the amount that AirJunky was able to shake is totally unacceptable, speakers or not.

SteveO
11-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Do the braces interfere with the bimini at all?

Roonie's
11-30-2007, 07:59 PM
No. Confirmed on both 07 and 08. Even though it shakes they did think of function (saying that as nicely as I can).

vogelm1
11-30-2007, 10:18 PM
I just bought an '07 tower for my 197. Though it won't have speaker cans on it anytime soon, I'd think about getting the braces for piece of mind.

Can anyone tell me if the tower still folds like normal with braces on? Thanks -

chachi
12-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Can anyone tell me if the tower still folds like normal with braces on? Thanks -

I had the same question.

tr6coug
12-03-2007, 12:21 AM

Yup, folds just like normal.

ripcurl74
12-03-2007, 04:05 PM
No, but I am waiting for them too. My dealer told me they are in the process of writing a service bulletin for 07 towers to fix them with the braces. They also said they will get them hopefully mid winter. I have been patiently waiting for them since early Sept. but probably won't see them till Dec/Jan maybe. At this point who knows?? All I know is I better have them come boating season next year.

edit; They said 6 other 07's were on the list waiting for the braces from our dealership too.

My dealer here in Canada has been told MC is putting together a "program" for this issue....that was a few weeks ago and we're still waiting to hear back from them. Not as easy as just asking them to warranty it anymore....not in Canada anyway.....:confused:

vogelm1
12-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Yup, folds just like normal.

Cool - thanks for that info.

Roonie's
01-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Just heard back from my dealer today and they said MC has finished writing the service bulletin for the tower braces. They will be covered under warranty for parts and labor.

tr6coug
01-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Just heard back from my dealer today and they said MC has finished writing the service bulletin for the tower braces. They will be covered under warranty for parts and labor.

I'm glad that MC stepped up and did the right thing. Now they just need to redesign them for the '09s. I know an M.E. that could do it...:D

vogelm1
01-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Now they just need to redesign them for the '09s. I know an M.E. that could do it...:D

I think they did already...I got mine under warranty and they are no longer the tube style. Here's a pic::dance:

kev88
01-13-2008, 10:58 AM

Ronnie's do you know if this includes the 08's? I read earlier that you had to order tower speakers to the get the 08 braces......

jsnipes
01-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Here's my '08 X2 that came from factory with the new braces. Thought I'd show what they look like installed. Sorry, no picture from the stern.

JS

tr6coug
01-13-2008, 12:55 PM
I think they did already...I got mine under warranty and they are no longer the tube style. Here's a pic::dance:

I meant they should redesign the towers for '09 so they don't need the braces at all.

The new brace design is nice, but I think the tube style matches the tower better.

Roonie's
01-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Ronnie's do you know if this includes the 08's? I read earlier that you had to order tower speakers to the get the 08 braces......

I do not know. My dealer called me and said they finally wrote the service bulletin for them and they will be covering cost and labor. I have an 07 X2. I do not have tower speakers on my tower but I am installing some this spring. Regardless I wanted the braces as I was worried about spider cracking around the tower mounts from all the shaking.

sand2snow22
01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
I meant they should redesign the towers for '09 so they don't need the braces at all.

The new brace design is nice, but I think the tube style matches the tower better.

Yes, I hope for a better design. I saw Travis Moye at the boat show last night but I forgot to ask him about this. :confused:

tr6coug
01-14-2008, 03:50 AM
Yes, I hope for a better design. I saw Travis Moye at the boat show last night but I forgot to ask him about this. :confused:

Sand, don't know Travis. Who is he?

ttu
01-14-2008, 08:50 AM

what????? he is considered the best "pro" driver out there.

sand2snow22
01-14-2008, 11:24 AM

He drives a lot of the wakeboarding tournaments. Also has a wakeboarding school with Shaun Murray in Orlando. I believe he is on the MC payroll or at least he gets a new XStar every year and provides feedback on how to improve the boats. Hence I missed the tower discussion opportunity.

wakeX2wake
03-20-2008, 03:52 PM
opening up old stuff but i can't tell from the pics... does it bolt on to the tower w/ a bracket or does the brace screw on between the speaker and speaker mount on the top cross bar?

snork
03-20-2008, 04:10 PM
I want some for my XSTAR

wakeX2wake
03-20-2008, 04:11 PM
i like the looks of them but i'm afraid it's just going to be something else for bugs to collect on

tr6coug
03-20-2008, 04:41 PM
does it bolt on to the tower w/ a bracket or does the brace screw on between the speaker and speaker mount on the top cross bar?

There is no bracket that attaches to the tower tubing. The tapered mounts go between the tower and the speaker mount. This drops the speakers by about 3/8".

wakeX2wake
03-20-2008, 04:56 PM
There is no bracket that attaches to the tower tubing. The tapered mounts go between the tower and the speaker mount. This drops the speakers by about 3/8".
ok that's kind of what i thought was happening... i'm about 6'3'' and i can walk under my speakers as is but it's going to be closer... my buddy's nauti 210 t.e. and another's Supra 21v tower is so low that i have to duck the speakers in and out of the front... just annoying

1boarder
03-20-2008, 06:12 PM
the 2008 brackets doesn't lower the speaker. It goes around the mount. They definitly stiffen up the to32644

32646wer. here are some pics

tr6coug
03-20-2008, 07:44 PM
OK, those brackets look a bit more stout than the brackets I got last Sept.

Lennyp04
03-21-2008, 09:25 AM
the 2008 brackets doesn't lower the speaker. It goes around the mount. They definitly stiffen up the to32644

32646wer. here are some pics

These are the ones that I'm getting for our X-1. I personally like the other ones more but I'm happy with these....they look like they will do their job..........................REALLY WELL!!!!!

I've seen a pair of these on a 2008 X-15 and they look pretty sweet so I have hopes for the X-1 too!

CHaus21
03-22-2008, 02:14 PM
I want some for my XSTAR

Has anyone heard any info about MC making the braces for an X Star? I'd love to have some for my 07.

sand2snow22
03-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Has anyone heard any info about MC making the braces for an X Star? I'd love to have some for my 07.

Last I heard they weren't making them for the X-Star b/c the pipe diameter is larger on the X-Star than the other boats. Thus, not needed, but IMO they ARE needed. Beating a dead horse, but MC needs to redesign the tower!!

ridesdirt
03-22-2008, 09:45 PM
I believe the "new" style braces fit all towers. They do not bolt around the tower tube, they use the speaker boss as shown in the previous pictures. I was told they are supposed to fit the X-Star. There is a hiem joint at each end that is threaded in to the brace. So adjustments can be made. I will find out when my dealer gets his order in. I think there is going to be a long list of owners waiting for these.

I think '08 gets parts and labor, '07 parts only...:D :D :D

Lennyp04
03-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Well I'm getting the new style tower braced for free and labor is free! All covered under warranty for us!

CHaus21
03-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I believe the "new" style braces fit all towers. They do not bolt around the tower tube, they use the speaker boss as shown in the previous pictures. I was told they are supposed to fit the X-Star. There is a hiem joint at each end that is threaded in to the brace. So adjustments can be made. I will find out when my dealer gets his order in. I think there is going to be a long list of owners waiting for these.

I think '08 gets parts and labor, '07 parts only...:D :D :D

Do you mean 08 parts and labor and 07 parts only for XSTAR???

I'm fine with the parts only - I helped my cousin install the braces on his X2 - They are fairly simple to do.

Has anyone gotten braces for an 07 X Star from their dealer???

wakeX2wake
03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
should be about the same braces i would think... thinking the distance from attachment points should be the same anyway... beam on the boat is obviously different...

took mine out in some rough water this weekend and i'm getting them for sure... board came out and landed on a girl in the back seat this weekend

ridesdirt
03-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Do you mean 08 parts and labor and 07 parts only for XSTAR???

I'm fine with the parts only - I helped my cousin install the braces on his X2 - They are fairly simple to do.

Has anyone gotten braces for an 07 X Star from their dealer???

To be honest, I don't know.

I agree with you, they should be very easy to install.

I would recommend anyone interested work through your dealer. Ultimatley your issues will be handled through them. And of course, I can't speak for them...

How is that for a disclaimer?

duckguy
03-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Looks like they are!

Kyboater
03-24-2008, 10:28 AM
They do have braces for the X-star out now. If a customer request them, they will supply the braces at no charge. Labor for installation is not covered. Need to work through your local dealer on these.

wakeX2wake
03-24-2008, 10:56 AM
i talked to my local dealer and they were like $120 to install... for that i'm going to have them ship me the braces w/ a replacement seat i have ordered and i'll put them on myself... pretty simple to install just an allen wrench and about 30 mins... they attach under the tower speaker mount and just above the swivel rack... check out your tower and you can see it will be very easy to install... the way i figure it... wether you or the dealer installs any warranty is covered by the factory and if you install them it's not like it can hurt the already shaky tower setup

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-24-2008, 11:27 AM
I have a questions....Do the 06's need or should I say do they make them. If anyone knows please send me a PM or post it here. Thanks in advance.

Roonie's
03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
06's do not need them. In 07 they changed the tower design to the flat billet piece which reduced the tower rigidity by a lot. Instead of a continuous solid round tube around the tower like a roll cage in 06 and earlier, they put in a flat piece that bolted to the round tube. Bad idea. Lots of shaking and side to side movement now because less rigid.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks..............

ridesdirt
03-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Looks like they are!

Nice setup duckguy.

Lennyp04
03-24-2008, 08:17 PM
06's do not need them. In 07 they changed the tower design to the flat billet piece which reduced the tower rigidity by a lot. Instead of a continuous solid round tube around the tower like a roll cage in 06 and earlier, they put in a flat piece that bolted to the round tube. Bad idea. Lots of shaking and side to side movement now because less rigid.

Yeah but you gotta agree that the 07 and 08 tower looks sweet with that MasterCraft tower leg supporting it....

atleast I think it looks sweet!

duckguy
03-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks but that is not my boat. I just found the pic. My new rig will be emerging soon.

kev88
03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah but you gotta agree that the 07 and 08 tower looks sweet with that MasterCraft tower leg supporting it....atleast I think it looks sweet!I have to agree!

Lennyp04
03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I have to agree!

Atleast I'm not crazy!!!!:D

sand2snow22
03-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Form over function. Might look sweet, but I'll take an Illusion X or even the upgraded Centurion tower over a MC tower any day all day! The board racks, now that's a different story :)

bbymgr
03-25-2008, 04:39 PM
FYI... Just came from my Dealer and am getting parts and labor free. I read the Service Bulletin from MasterCraft and it stated that if your 07' was made from July 06 to December 06' then parts and labor was covered, but if it was made after December 06'.... then only parts were covered.

wakeX2wake
03-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Rambo is sending me parts today... called today... will take before and after and will time project... WARNING: Project will most likely include heavy beer drinking so progress could be slower than if performed w/o the influence of alcohol!

SkiDog
03-25-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm having mine installed this Sat. by BAWS. :)

Lennyp04
03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
FYI... Just came from my Dealer and am getting parts and labor free. I read the Service Bulletin from MasterCraft and it stated that if your 07' was made from July 06 to December 06' then parts and labor was covered, but if it was made after December 06'.... then only parts were covered.

I forget when ours was made but I think it was right near the end of that time period. Can't wait to put them on! Oh wait we're not doing it....thats right its covered under warranty. I love you MasterCraft and I love Sterling Marina for helping the situation!

lol.

gew
03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks, for the information about the braces. I just contacted MasterCraft today, got a reply, spoke with my dealer and the braces will be here Monday, covered under warranty. Thanks again for the info.

CHaus21
03-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Are you guys talking about braces for X2's or X Star's?

mccobmd
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I see lenny's 07 which looks like my 06 and am glad I went with the 06, no tower brace issue. Just goes to show you if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Lennyp04
03-25-2008, 07:25 PM
It's not a dire emergency that we need them. Just adds to the safety and long term problems that could produce even bigger problems as far as Fiberglas goes. I would just like them for the added safety.

I agree if something isn't broke dont fix it but MasterCraft decided to change their design which sets them apart from many boat companies who dont take gambles. In this case M decided to change things around and in that encountered a problem and now they are in the stages of fixing that problem with the tower braces.

bbymgr
03-25-2008, 07:40 PM
The Service Bulletin that I saw CHaus was for all 07' Towers...except the X Stars.

Lennyp04
03-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Xstar tower is made with thicker diameter tubing. Thats why.

bbymgr
03-25-2008, 08:02 PM
That sounds logical.

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 09:07 AM
ok i got mine on last week and it's hard to tell from pics... but the angle mine are at is not symmetrical... like they're both on the same angle when you put the set screw in... anyone else seen this or did i get a wrong mounting kit

SkiDog
04-04-2008, 09:08 AM
ok i got mine on last week and it's hard to tell from pics... but the angle mine are at is not symmetrical... like they're both on the same angle when you put the set screw in... anyone else seen this or did i get a wrong mounting kit
You shoulda let BAWS put em on!:D

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 09:11 AM
well i'm like 99.99% sure i've got them on right... i figured w/ some common sense and an engineering degree i could figure it out... no it's like the parts that mount the brace arm to the tower are not right/left specific

Waterski-Marcoisland
04-04-2008, 09:25 AM
i have em on my 07 x2 and they are holden up fine !

kev88
04-04-2008, 09:42 AM
I finished mine yesterday. (Thanks for the pm auburnx2). No the parts are not right/left specific. After eyeballing mine (many times) everything seems to line up symmetrically.

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 09:48 AM
good to hear i'm not the only one who saw this... it kind of bothers me but the tower shaking to the point that boards fall out of the racks and hit girls sitting in the back and potentially causing spider cracks bothers me more... it took some working to get the brackets to line up on top so it was all spaced the same way but it looks good... it was a good excuse to drink beer in my boat in my driveway... anyone else put loctite on the bolts when putting them in?

kev88
04-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Did not use locktite - wondered last night if I should have. Agree - the braces look good. I actually have two wetsounds pro60's and the mounting plate they use is almost the exact size as the bottom of the the new hardware. Before it looked odd - lines up nicely now - looks good.

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 10:01 AM
i don't know that loctite is going to make a big difference... one thing i did do was... when i got everything up and locked in pretty good... i shook the tower w/ my hands and re-tightened everything... i repeated this about 3 times until everything wouldn't tighten anymore... i plan on doing this again after i get it off the water the first time... the first couple time i shook it there was a good bit of room to tighten... all might want to try that to make sure you're not loose or going to work loose

vogelm1
04-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Does anybody know if these braces were manufactured just for the larger X series boats? Reason for asking is I rec'd a brace set with the 2007 full-size tower I just bought for my 197, however they appear to be about 6 inches too short. Even with the ball joints screwed out all the way it's not close. My thinking is they aren't/weren't needed on the 197 or X-7 towers - and I do know the tow/speaker bar of the 197 and X-7 towers loops back a bit further compared to the other model wakeboard boats; and far as I know, the brace sets are universal?:confused:

Dutch
04-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Just installed new braces on X14 they were an easy instal, really helped stiffen things up

SkiDog
04-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Just installed new braces on X14 they were an easy instal, really helped stiffen things up
So does VIAGRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

6ballsisall
04-21-2008, 01:28 PM
So does VIAGRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Skidog, Gene wouldn't approve of that type of bragging........

SaltwaterMC
04-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Vogelm1,

MC does not have braces that work with X-7 tower as of yet. I am unsure as to whether they are working on that or not.

Does anybody know if these braces were manufactured just for the larger X series boats? Reason for asking is I rec'd a brace set with the 2007 full-size tower I just bought for my 197, however they appear to be about 6 inches too short. Even with the ball joints screwed out all the way it's not close. My thinking is they aren't/weren't needed on the 197 or X-7 towers - and I do know the tow/speaker bar of the 197 and X-7 towers loops back a bit further compared to the other model wakeboard boats; and far as I know, the brace sets are universal?:confused:

vogelm1
04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured...will hold tight for now and if somebody needs a set of braces, I guess they know where to find some. Thanks for confirming Saltwater.

ridesdirt
04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
they do work on the x-star
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/ridesdirt/x-star/DSCF0704.jpg

edeckerpc
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Getting the braces on my new CSX220 and it definitely needs them. They had to order from MC because all of the braces they had onsite would not fit. Looking forward to getting them and stabilizing the tower.

c_craig
04-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Here's the OEM version. We did not order speakers on our '08, but got struts anyway (good news). I didn't know about shakey towers, muffler noise, etc. Took the boat out last week. Boat sounds great. Tower looks good. Took a quick pull (water is 57 deg). Hoping to get out tomorrow. Water has "warmed" to 60+. Nice spring here in Ohio. About as good as you can ask for in April.:D

tbd01
04-27-2008, 11:20 AM
sodar please help this guy resize, these microscopic pics are killing me

SkiDog
04-27-2008, 12:53 PM
sodar please help this guy resize, these microscopic pics are killing me
He could use those for an avatar!

grijalavanation
04-27-2008, 03:06 PM
how were you able to get mc to give you the braces? Did u have to write a letter or just ask their srvice dept?

edeckerpc
04-27-2008, 03:57 PM
how were you able to get mc to give you the braces? Did u have to write a letter or just ask their srvice dept?
If you ask your service department they should be able to hook you up. My dealer had several sets of braces onsite, so it seems to be a common request.

edeckerpc
04-27-2008, 03:57 PM
If you ask your service department they should be able to hook you up. My dealer had several sets of braces onsite, so it seems to be a common request.

h2oskiier222
04-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured...will hold tight for now and if somebody needs a set of braces, I guess they know where to find some. Thanks for confirming Saltwater.

Hi Vogelm1,

My X7 has the braces on them...The boat is an '05 with an '07/08 tower and was a demo boat for MC...Here is a pic:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/h2oskiier222/MasterCraft/05x7_11.jpg

SaltwaterMC
04-27-2008, 05:12 PM
The new style brace is not available for the 197/X7 tower as of yet. Apparently the older style is, which in my opinion is a better, more rigid solution than the new style braces.

c_craig
04-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Sorry about the microscopic pics. It was getting late. Try these, may be better. After reading this thread, kept a close eye on the tower, and seems to be fine. The exhaust hose on the other hand, after 2.5 total engine hours, now has a big hole in it (I'm sure there is a thread somewhere for this). Fortunately our dealer was having a demo day today, and got the hose replaced right away while we took the X-35 for a 50mph spin around the lake. They say the manifold elbows need to be replaced. Bad distribution of water in the exhaust is causing a hot spot. Let me know what you think. Other than that, great day on the water (not in the water today).

tbd01
04-27-2008, 08:38 PM
much better, nice boat too!

edeckerpc
04-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Sorry about the microscopic pics. It was getting late. Try these, may be better. After reading this thread, kept a close eye on the tower, and seems to be fine. The exhaust hose on the other hand, after 2.5 total engine hours, now has a big hole in it (I'm sure there is a thread somewhere for this). Fortunately our dealer was having a demo day today, and got the hose replaced right away while we took the X-35 for a 50mph spin around the lake. They say the manifold elbows need to be replaced. Bad distribution of water in the exhaust is causing a hot spot. Let me know what you think. Other than that, great day on the water (not in the water today).
So what did you think of the X-35? We were checking it out, but the cost was a little scary.

c_craig
04-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Big and fast. Great ride. The demo had the 400 engine in it. Other than the bigger bow, I thought the passenger space was similar to our X-15. The flip passenger seat is cool, plus its got the fridge! I just like the open seating better. Simple. We didn't ski or fill the ballast, so don't know about that.

Killer B
04-28-2008, 07:09 PM
c craig, I had the same thing happen to my new X2. The dealer said they had never seen that happen before. What really ticked me off was that it happened on the dealer demo out on the lake. It took a whole 25 minutes for my new boat to braek. Good thing was, my girlfriend was test driving it when it happened so I will never let her hear the end of it......"I can't believe you broke my new boat in the first 5 minutes you drove it"!

c_craig
04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
My daughter was driving, but she's 14 and can do no wrong...:rolleyes: Can't wait to hear more about this. There is a thread "MCX How Hot is Too Hot" (or something like that). I'm waiting for further explanation.

grijalavanation
05-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Hey thanks for the info. on the tower braces. I contacted Mastercraft and they're gonna have my local dealer replace them under warranty. :D

sand2snow22
05-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Higher Standard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2ygM9xpT0

dapicatti
05-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Wow....that's alot of shakin goin on