PDA

View Full Version : Transfering MP3 Files

Mag_Red
09-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey guys, what is the quickest way to transfer MP3 files from my desktop PC to a laptop??? I have a wireless router if the helps. Daughter is getting ready to head to college and wants to put her music on her new laptop. Also have Apple i-tunes on the desktop PC Suggestions??? 1.4 Gb

ski_king
09-11-2007, 09:59 PM
If both computers are on the network, share the directory, then copy them across.

Mag_Red
09-11-2007, 10:02 PM
If both computers are on the network, share the directory, then copy them across.What network??? So I need to network these?? can I do it temporarily?? I don't want her having access to my more sensitive files ;)

SoCalBrew
09-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Suggestions???

Buy a mac??? :uglyhamme ...... sorry - couldn't resist!

ski_king
09-11-2007, 10:10 PM
It has been a while since I set up mine but you can choose what directories you want to share.
I have a music and photo directory on my computer that the kids have access to.

SoCalBrew
09-11-2007, 10:11 PM
If you can't figure out how to network your two computers together... then you could always burn the files to a DATA CD or DVD (or flash drive or usb/firewire drive) and then load them on laptop from the Disc/Drive. However, if you loaded the mp3 files thru itunes, then there is a copy protection on the file... you should be able to let her listen to the files, but you will have to give her your itunes password. It will ask her for it when she tries to play the file. Not too complicated.

cbryan70
09-11-2007, 10:14 PM
when you share the files just share your specific folders you want to give her access to then on her computer have her click on network your computer should be there.....in theory have her click on it and it will display the folders that you have offered to share. Then she can copy the files over. If you can figure the network out this would be ALOT faster than any other way. You should transfer VERY fast

victorff
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Depending on the capacity, you may be able to load all the songs onto your ipod or mp3 then move them to the laptop. Your essentially using your player as an external drive

Cloaked
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Burn to a DVD or CD on your PC. Place in the laptop and transfer from DVD / CD. Done deal.

Leroy
09-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Buy a 2Ghz USB stick........$10-$20, plug and play.....

Leroy
09-11-2007, 10:19 PM
That also, you are smart Sporty!

How have you been?

Burn to a DVD or CD on your PC. Place in the laptop and transfer from DVD / CD. Done deal.

Cloaked
09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
That also, you are smart Sporty!

How have you been?Doing fine. I need to ask you a few things about a few other things. Hang on for a PM please.

SoCalBrew
09-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Depending on the capacity, you may be able to load all the songs onto your ipod or mp3 then move them to the laptop. Your essentially using your player as an external drive

Just an additional note of clarification.

You can't do this with an iPod with songs/videos that were transferred in by itunes... unless you load the files manually... using the ipod like a hard drive.

Mag_Red
09-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Used the "set up a wireless network" wizzard on the XP home PC. All seemed to go well. But I had difficulties getting the Vista Laptop on the network. I am sure I did something wrong. :) I had no problem a year ago setting another desktop for file sharing with a hard wired router.:confused: I think Leroy's suggestion of a usb flash drive may be the easiest thing.......although I would like to be able to print wireless with my laptop.

Leroy
09-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Wireless to printer is much easier, PC to PC more difficult. You should be able to install a printer driver and see the printer wireless network.

east tx skier
09-11-2007, 11:14 PM
You can set up a media network. If it's itunes, you'll also have to set her laptop up as an authorized computer.

milkmania
09-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Buy a 2Ghz USB stick........$10-$20, plug and play.....

what frequency is that:confused:

8p

Leroy
09-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Ha! Ok....2GB USB stick and if you can get 2GHz you will be very happy, but not likely!

!what frequency is that:confused:

8p

milkmania
09-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Ha! Ok....2GB USB stick and if you can get 2GHz you will be very happy, but not likely!

!

just messin' on ya;)