PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas on questions to ask a bayline rep

cbryan70
09-11-2007, 08:32 PM
As some of you know i got a job as a boat salesmen and will be selling bayliners. I was hoping you guys could help me out on some questions to ask them quality wise. I want to know his answers so i will beable to tell the customers what he or she is telling us when they ask questions. Such as fiberglass and gelcoat, quality questions. Anything. Also a stratus rep will be coming in to. Any ideas are welcome

swatguy
09-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Ask him if he can get you a discount on an MC. :D :D

Seriously though. I used to sell boats and most people that are looking into I/O's don't ask or aren't concerned with the construction process/gelcoat. Some will, but most won't. Especially in the Bayliner realm. They will just want a great deal and some water time to enjoy. They want to know what the boat will offer them that another won't usually space/room and design wise. Most questions from my experience revolved around the powerplant's and upholstery as that's what differs and is the easiest to spot....and now the wakeboard towers.

Stratus on the other hand. My dad is a pro fisherman. Ranger really runs that market and Nitro is probably one of the more popular as it's a Bass Proshop boat and has some big names fishing for them so would try and get a few things on those companies about what they offer and try to offer up what Stratus offers that maybe those don't...... Though Ranger pretty much offers everything(like MC), but then again you pay $$$$. The bass boat guys are gonna be a harder sale then the I/O's for sure. Also gonna have a ton of questions about rod storage live wells and things of that sort. More along the tech questions and of course about the engine upgrades for the outboards. They have some crazy stuff going on these days.

Just my .02 after being out of the market for a bit. I still do have a tone of buddy who sell boats though and I worked shows for the past 4 yrs at Mccormick Place. Good luck

PendO
09-12-2007, 12:43 AM
1. How fast does she go?
2. What kind of mileage does it get? (yes yes, I know)
3. Where does the cooler for the beers (sic) go?
4. Does it have storage for fishing poles?
5. What is the most popular tube?
6. What is the deal with the tower, is that where we ski from?
7. Is there an option for a second storage compartment for my beers?
8. Why do they call this the lower unit? (What is the upper unit?)
9. Can I put ballast tanks in it to make a good tube wake?
10. I think I want to do some wakesurfing, which is safer, the outboard or the style with the lower unit?

swatguy
09-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Thats pretty much it..... you forgot the first though before how fast does it go.

#.5 What' that thing got in her? Big Block? That thing must fly!

Sorry couldn't resist:D :D ;)

Doug G
09-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Do the white things that hang on the side while driving help keep it balanced or is that just for looking kewl? Are they included or extra? Why do some need a roll cage and not all of them. Are the ones without a roll cage really safe?

Sorry CB just couldn't resist.
In general find out what your products strengths / value proposition are against your competitor(s) products, what your products weakness are and what your
competitor(s) will say about your product good and bad. That along with knowing what your demographics are looking for and what their buying decisions are based on should go a long way. Get to know your customers as much as your product.

Never compromise integrity for a sale.

sand2snow22
09-12-2007, 01:23 AM
1. How fast does she go?
2. What kind of mileage does it get? (yes yes, I know)
3. Where does the cooler for the beers (sic) go?
4. Does it have storage for fishing poles?
5. What is the most popular tube?
6. What is the deal with the tower, is that where we ski from?
7. Is there an option for a second storage compartment for my beers?
8. Why do they call this the lower unit? (What is the upper unit?)
9. Can I put ballast tanks in it to make a good tube wake?
10. I think I want to do some wakesurfing, which is safer, the outboard or the style with the lower unit?

11. How do I do a powerturn?

TMCNo1
09-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Sounds like Jeff Gordon, who is sponsored by Pepsi, winning the Coca Cola 600 and having to drink Coke in Victory Lane!

dpolen
09-12-2007, 07:03 AM
I think a lot of the buyers of bayliners are picking up this brand because its a price point...Brunswick (which I think still owns Bayliner, Maxum, Baja, & Searay) makes some good products that fit every type of buyer except guys like us who want ski/wakeboard boats. I think you'll get a lot of first time buyers who just don't know much about this great sport other than their neighbor down the street has a boat that took them on the lake this one time last summer. My suggestion would be to sell them on the fun of boating and how you can help them to get on the water without completely breaking the bank. This is the best family activity time that I have ever done. Just my $.02.

KnoxX2
09-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Just remember that Service is important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember that when I was buying my I/O back in 2004 it would make me mad when I would here a dealer focus on bad mouthing other brands.

One thing too that will sell people is quality time with the family on the water. Personal storys always helps. Another thing will be your service staff and reputation. Reassure them that when they have a problem you will be there for them. This will put there mind at ease when they are ready to commit. Alot of the buyers you will have will be first time boat owners so put your self in their shoes and remember what it was like the first time you took you boat out.

The Factory Rep will fill you in on all the Tech Crap... of the line and also help you learn to up sale within the brand. But when it comes down to weather your coustomer buys your brand or someone else's, that is all up to you. Doug G said it best. Never compromise integrity for a sale!
Good Luck

Maristar210
09-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Is Cabelas going to service the boats as well?

Roonie's
09-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Why are there green and red lights on the bow. Does that tell other boats to stop and some to go. What's a bilge? I thought Port meant liquor. That trailer doesn't look like it will stay on in the water under speed very well. Does this boat have a keel like a sailboat? Can my kids ride in the boat on the way to the lake? Where do you go to the bathroom? Can you start it so we can hear the motor and see how fast the propeller spins. Do you mix the fuel with oil?

Sorry couldn't resist. All the basic questions and more.

jrhollow
09-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Will my Honda Accord pull it?

Ryan
09-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Ask all you can about construction, distribution, production cycles, any shared plants ("this boat is built on the same line as some SeaRays (?)") and the service dept then...

Sell them on price, the warranty and the dealership! There are so many runabouts, they are practically a commodity.

Sell as a commodity and sell on price/value proposition:
Many consumers for this category debate whether to buy used or get a 'deal' on a new one. Assure them that things can go wrong with all boats regardless of age, but that your dealership will take care of them in the rare occurrence that something does not function properly with their boat. It's not a sell vs. another brand that will be hard to do. Sell that they can get the same thing for $2k less and be a smarter buyer (same engines, same construction, same vinyl etc..). You can downplay claims of other brands as marketing hype (only if nec.) Tout that they are less expensive and higher value per dollar due to smart production management, one color gel coat package etc. Good as long as they want a black, blue or red boat and only blue on some models IIRC.

You've got to sell the dealership.
Get to know the guys in the service dept to learn of any common issues, which mechanics you can trust to turn your customers to. Many of these guys get the 2 year-2foot-itis, that is, many come in and buy a 17' 4cyl and come back for the 19' 5.0L they should have bought the first time. So taking care of them may bring you repeat sales/commission. And be quick to give test drives - I bet few buyers or sellers in this category test drive even 50% of their boats since so many are done at boat shows.

Take a page from Hyundai; you are selling a good quality product at a smart price.
Watch these new ads: http://www.ThinkAboutIt.com/

Ask probing questions:
What has you in the market for a boat / What got you started in shopping for a boat?
Have you had or been around boats much – sell them on how easy it is
Find all needs, # aboard, sports, fishing, proximity to water, storage etc…
Care enough to listen, and find the right boat for them.

Sodar
09-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Bayliner Rep.... ask him if they have any other colors besides the white on blue and blue on white!

chudson
09-12-2007, 11:06 AM
edit: Forget that, dumb question!!!!

Leroy
09-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Let us know what you find out in the Bayliner sales training class.

JimN
09-12-2007, 11:36 AM
You could ask if they plan to keep their build quality where it is now, since it was so bad before. In about '99, they made some huge leaps and I was actually impressed by what I saw. Every boat I saw before that point used the worst upholstery materials, deck, finish, carpet, gauges, rigging and just about everything else that I could imagine. The new 3.0L I had to winterize even had a water line for flushing the motor! The changes I saw were huge improvements.

Get used to people commenting on Mercruiser issues- they still haven't gotten to where Volvo-Penta is.

The vast majority of boaters don't care about the technical stuff. Tell them how much fun boating can be. Make sure you can talk technical stuff, too, but don't make that the focus of your knowledge and interest while you're working. At home, go nuts but at work, you'll sell far more boats if you SIB-KISS. Sell more accessories than anyone else, keep your margins up, don't make promises that the service department can't keep and you'll be the owner's favorite person in the world. If you have never been in sales where there was a service department, get used to being yelled at for the sales vs service thing. Sales people love to promise things that are usually impossible. Adding accessory installations at the last minute screws up the whole schedule for that boat and sometimes the whole shop. You'll have to learn to ask if it's possible to get these done. They may say it can't be done but sometimes it can, so ask the service dept what it'll take to get it done. Doing it fast doesn't mean it'll be right, so don't be afraid to buy an occasional lunch for someone who's doing you the favor.

DON'T USE OTHER SALES PEOPLE AS YOUR MODEL! That is, unless they have all happy customers and never PO the service, sales or general managers. ASK QUESTIONS! You'll never know what the customer needs or wants if you don't qualify them properly. LISTEN TO THE ANSWERS! This should be self-explanatory, but many in sales make decisions before the answers come out. Don't judge people looking at boats by the way they dress. The only thing an expensive suit indicates is that the person wears expensive suits (on occasion). It doesn't mean that they want to spend a lot of money. OTOH, a person who looks like a tradesman might just own a company that made him very rich, but he may like going in and getting dirty.

Maristar210
09-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I would ask what are the issues they have faced in the past? How did they overcome them and what are the biggest issues they face now along with a review of the customer complaint history. Find out what pisses the customer off the most, see if you can fix it before it happens.

You never answered if they were going to service them as well?

S

JimN
09-12-2007, 12:00 PM
If he gets the customer complaint history, he'll never get anything else done and it was in the past, so asking about the transition period would probably be more helpful. The end of the L Drive was a good thing. Those failed often, fixing them was a PITA and often failed again. It was a hybrid of too many incompatible systems and they didn't play well together.

Get into an old Carpri, look and feel your way around and then get into a newer one ('99 or newer). Night and day difference, same model. I have to give them some kudos (no, not the snack) for the improvements and the old Capri is one of my favorites to dump on, 'cause they really suck.

I knew someone with an older Capri and he had some wiring issues between the helm and motor. He unwrapped the loom under the driver's side gunwale and once they got to the control, every wire was orange and then changed back before the turn at the engine compartment.

Bruce
09-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Lot's of good input. JimN and Ryan in particuliar. After all is said and done remember : features and benefits. Salesman like to talk features but, customer buys benefits! I always had my sales people prepare a simple sheet with features on one side and benefits on the other. Simple way to organize your thoughts and presentation. Good Luck.

G-man
09-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Find out what is covered by warranty, how long the warranty is and don't over promise and under perform to your customers. I have worked with Stratos and they are a good company to deal with.

cbryan70
09-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Thank you guys for all of these responses. Really appreciate it. Yes cabela's has a full service shop and is looking to hire mechanics. Anyone who knows of anyone or wants a job as a tech let me know and i will get your name out there. The rumor is they can acctually pay well and competitive with the market. And thanks again for all this imput. By the way the Bayliner rep was INTENSE today!

Roonie's
09-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Which Cabela's will you be working at?

beatle78
09-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Thank you guys for all of these responses. Really appreciate it. Yes cabela's has a full service shop and is looking to hire mechanics. Anyone who knows of anyone or wants a job as a tech let me know and i will get your name out there. The rumor is they can acctually pay well and competitive with the market. And thanks again for all this imput. By the way the Bayliner rep was INTENSE today!

So how did it go?

cbryan70
09-13-2007, 10:03 PM
I will be working at the new store in Hoffman going to open its doors to the public on the 21st. Finally, only bad thing is i cant think of a worst time to start selling boats to people. Right when winter is on its way

Monte
09-13-2007, 10:12 PM
I will be working at the new store in Hoffman going to open its doors to the public on the 21st. Finally, only bad thing is i cant think of a worst time to start selling boats to people. Right when winter is on its way

But the real fishing season is just getting started;)

cbryan70
09-13-2007, 10:21 PM
That is was i am hoping. Selling lots of deep V lowes

Monte
09-13-2007, 10:30 PM
That is was i am hoping. Selling lots of deep V lowes
Salesman to salesman. Learn your product, know what you are selling. If you don't know the answer ask somebody. Do not lie about anything. Give direct eye contact and a firm handshake. Always do what you promise and don't assume the folks around you are going to drop what they are doing to fix a problem. you may have to fix it yourself. You'll do fine....

Last thing people always have a tendency to look down on or be afraid of salesmen. Take the reverse of everything I just said and that is the reason. Integrity is key. Every item you can think of had to be sold at some point. Good luck and don't worry about it..

cbryan70
09-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Im not worried about me selling. I beleive i can sell boating to anyone just becuase i am so passionate about the quality time you can have with friends and family. Now, getting organized is another deal so far. No buisness cards, no email, no voicemail as of now...got to love opening a new store and the bumps along the way. Thank you guys so much for the advice. I am looking forward to just spreading my passion to other people and familys. Its been said alot on this board and i beleive anything to get kids away from tv, video games and anything else they spend there time in front of a screen with. I cant wait till my son gets older and i can start sharing many memories on the water with him. I know i have tons of memories from when my parents were taking me out on my parents boat starting around age 5. I hope i will beable to spread the enthusiasm to the kids not being able to sleep the night before knowing they are going boating the next day.....my parents use to love me waking up at 5 in the morning and starting to get all the equipment ready to go for the day! Any other sales advice is much appreciated, i know most if not all of you have alot more job and people experience than me. One thing i know i will not do is try to place people in the wrong boat for commision or make fake promises to them.

Monte
09-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Im not worried about me selling. I beleive i can sell boating to anyone just becuase i am so passionate about the quality time you can have with friends and family. Now, getting organized is another deal so far. No buisness cards, no email, no voicemail as of now...got to love opening a new store and the bumps along the way. Thank you guys so much for the advice. I am looking forward to just spreading my passion to other people and familys. Its been said alot on this board and i beleive anything to get kids away from tv, video games and anything else they spend there time in front of a screen with. I cant wait till my son gets older and i can start sharing many memories on the water with him. I know i have tons of memories from when my parents were taking me out on my parents boat starting around age 5. I hope i will beable to spread the enthusiasm to the kids not being able to sleep the night before knowing they are going boating the next day.....my parents use to love me waking up at 5 in the morning and starting to get all the equipment ready to go for the day! Any other sales advice is much appreciated, i know most if not all of you have alot more job and people experience than me. One thing i know i will not do is try to place people in the wrong boat for commision or make fake promises to them.

I hate to say it, but what are you going to say when one of your customers asks which Bayliner you own?? It WILL come up... Just a forwarning. Even worse when they see you out on the lake..

cbryan70
09-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Im going to say, actually i do not own a bayliner, for the type of boating that i do i use a different type of boat. If they ask what kind and want an inboard that is fine by me...would rather them be happy then come back pissed at me

Leroy
09-14-2007, 09:40 PM
I would go over to the bayliner forum and spend some time.....I don't mean this in a mean way, just seems like the right thing to do...

Let us know how that forum is. I would post the same question there.

Monte
09-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Im going to say, actually i do not own a bayliner, for the type of boating that i do i use a different type of boat. If they ask what kind and want an inboard that is fine by me...would rather them be happy then come back pissed at me

Good deal! I've just been in sales for a while. I doubt your clietele is going to be concerned, or even understand, but when it happens it sounds like you have a good answer.

cbryan70
09-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Well im not just selling bayliner, also selling lowe, stratus, and maybe sea swirl and hopfully ranger. I feel fairly confident in my knowledge of bayliners and their funtionality, ive been cleaning the damn things for a week or so. and ive been reviewing the info on them. But perhapes i will check out the forum and see what everyone else says. I must say they arnt as bad as i thought, quality has cone up since the 90's still obviously no where near a mastercraft can tell in the seats and carpet but their winsheilds are solid as a rock i can do dips on them, still a slight print through but not much, but they have alot of saftey that im going to be selling to the real buyers. the wives

Maristar210
09-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Dude,

You need to get off your *** and get to work. You need to involve yourself with every forum there is for every boat you sell. You need to be very on top of what is posted there, you need to be the "answer man" in the forum for that perticular boat.

If you decide to take it easy, you will lose...

I could sell these botes in my sleep but the $$ aint there...

You have but one oppurtinity to make a first impression, don't screw it up..

Good Luck