PDA

View Full Version : towed a BU in yesterday

rektek
09-11-2007, 12:20 AM
I got flagged down [waving flags and arms] by a frantic BU owner [wakesetter] said he was taking on water and wanted a tow to the marina nearby. I asked a few questions regarding his bilge pumps etc.
he then asked me if I wanted to come aboard and take a look.

not knowing his boat or ballast setups I declined and offered him a tow.
also thinking I don't want to make things worse or take responsibility for a sinking boat.

hooked up the BU and towed his boat and crew of 8 towards the marina.
noticed nothing coming out of the bilge pumps, yelling back to turn the bilge switches from auto to manual, water starts to come out at this point and runs solid for 20 minutes while in tow.

bilge finally stops pumping and the driver and crew seem to be ok with trying to start the engine. engine starts and seems to run ok at this point we are 150 feet from the Ramp.

curious what others would have done?, hindsight has me thinking I should have gone aboard and have had a look.

:cool:

H20BOY
09-11-2007, 12:26 AM
I understand your concern. The last thing you want is him claiming you sunk his boat. At least you can say you were kind enough to give him the tow. I've been on both ends and it is always a better day to give than receive.

stars79stripes
09-11-2007, 12:52 AM
I think you did the right thing. I would not be anxious to jump on a boat in trouble. Offering good advice from a safe distance, and waiting to catch a tow rope, can't really get you in any trouble.

Not for nothing, but I wouldn't leave the dock without knowing what all those little buttons and switches are for. Especially if it was my boat. That I paid for. They might come in handy.

JimN
09-11-2007, 01:15 AM
8 people couldn't figure out how to turn the bilge pump on? WOW! Let me re-phrase that- DUH!

beatle78
09-11-2007, 08:00 AM
I got flagged down [waving flags and arms] by a frantic BU owner [wakesetter] said he was taking on water and wanted a tow to the marina nearby. I asked a few questions regarding his bilge pumps etc.

also thinking I don't want to make things worse or take responsibility for a sinking boat.

noticed nothing coming out of the bilge pumps, yelling back to turn the bilge switches from auto to manual, water starts to come out at this point and runs solid for 20 minutes while in tow.

bilge finally stops pumping and the driver and crew seem to be ok with trying to start the engine. engine starts and seems to run ok at this point we are 150 feet from the Ramp.

curious what others would have done?, hindsight has me thinking I should have gone aboard and have had a look.

hmmm.... well my dad's a firefighter, so I would have jumped on the boat and tried to turn on the bilge pumps. But my dad also runs into buildings that are completely ablaze while everyone else runs out... hmmmmm

hahaha, either way you did the right thing by helping.

ummmm..... 8 people did not know how to manually turn the bilge on? Were they intoxicated?

Monte
09-11-2007, 09:15 AM
I think you did the right thing.. Unless you KNOW what you are doing, I find it easier to give the little help you can (IE the tow in) rather than risk screwing something up.

Now that being said..

Not knowing how to turn on a manual bilge pump is pretty irresponsible on the boat owners part.. Thank goodness the boat didn't go down.. If the were intoxicated or not somebody could have gotten hurt..

TMCNo1
09-11-2007, 10:06 AM
They were probably too busy talking about which one of their mothers was the hottest to switch on the pumps!

SkiDog
09-11-2007, 10:12 AM
They were probably too busy talking about which one of their mothers was the hottest to switch on the pumps!
Now that was COLD!

causewayskiier
09-11-2007, 10:19 AM
It was good of you to offer the guy a tow but I think it may have been worthwhile to jump on his boat. You may have noticed immediately that the bilge pump switch should have been on manual. I know that there are folks out there that have nice boats that know nothing about them, but you were also a novice once. Back when you were the novice and someone could have solved your problem quickly you would have been grateful.

chudson
09-11-2007, 10:24 AM
You did what anyone else would have done, good for you and though you hope it never comes back around to you that "pay it forward" thing never hurts!!!

Monte
09-11-2007, 10:48 AM
It was good of you to offer the guy a tow but I think it may have been worthwhile to jump on his boat. You may have noticed immediately that the bilge pump switch should have been on manual. I know that there are folks out there that have nice boats that know nothing about them, but you were also a novice once. Back when you were the novice and someone could have solved your problem quickly you would have been grateful.

Not to bust your chops, but some things are unacceptable. Not knowing how to switch the maual bilge on is one of those. Had it not worked, that is one thing, just not knowing how to turn it on is another. That is a safety issue. Novice or not there is no excuse there, especially when you have the saftey of 7 other people in your hands. There is more to boating than turning a switch and turning a wheel. That is almost as bad as not knowing where the fire extiguisher is..:twocents:

I know you weren't the culprit, I just don't like inexperience to be used as an excuse for not knowing the basic operation components of the boat..

tex
09-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Would I board the boat? Depends on what his crew looked like!

mjw101081
09-11-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't want to keep bringing this particular thread down, but the quick witted hot head in me wants to ask, were they wakeboarding under a bridge? Was the so called Capt. really the smartest person on the boat? At least tell me they looked good.

JimN
09-11-2007, 11:47 AM
The lack of knowledge displayed makes me want to find out if the boat's owner was on board. If they were, they are very new to boating and obviously need to A) get a clue, B) take a boater safety course, C) RTFM, D) become familiar with their boat, E) somebody stop me before I use the whole alphabet!

Too bad the Coast Guard wasn't around at the time.

fintek9
09-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Firm believer in the "pay it forward" philosophy. Scary that one would not know ones boat through and through in the common sense category!
last week we ran into the Nautique owner on our lake for the first time,
The one that would not wave! Pulled up to him for a neighborly meeting
to say hi, Asked him what year the boat was (his answer..ahhh don't really know?) asked him what size motor (his answer..ummm don't know that either?) Asked him if the boat was his!? Yep!! Hope he at least got his name right!!! Scary that he doesn't know nothing about such a nice boat. Wish he would buy a dock instead of beaching the darn thing in front of his "BIG" beautiful house.

Sodar
09-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Without question, you should have gotten on the boat and done ANYTHING possible to rectify the situation. In my eyes, by you not taking the fortitude to quickly and effectively solve the problem, you put both your passengers and your boat in danger.

Lets get just a bit dramatic for a second and say that the boat you were assisting was taking on a SERIOUS amount of water... the guy flags you down and asks for a tow. You toss him a tow line, begin towing and watch his boat begin to go down quick.... you do not have a knife on your boat, so his boat is dangling by a tow line and eventually pulls your stern below and your boat begins taking on water.... now, you not only have 1 boat with 8 people in distress, but you have 2 boats with 8 people + X number of people on your boat in distress....

What I am trying to say is that although you were dealing with relatively small vessels, within close proximity to shore and in favorable conditions, it is ALWAYS best to analyze the situation. Consideration of being accused of sinking someone's boat in distress would not even come to mind. In fact, I believe that 99.9999999999% of the people would be very happy to have someone assist them and in this case, probably save their day on the water!!

Maristar210
09-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Without question, you should have gotten on the boat and done ANYTHING possible to rectify the situation. In my eyes, by you not taking the fortitude to quickly and effectively solve the problem, you put both your passengers and your boat in danger.

Lets get just a bit dramatic for a second and say that the boat you were assisting was taking on a SERIOUS amount of water... the guy flags you down and asks for a tow. You toss him a tow line, begin towing and watch his boat begin to go down quick.... you do not have a knife on your boat, so his boat is dangling by a tow line and eventually pulls your stern below and your boat begins taking on water.... now, you not only have 1 boat with 8 people in distress, but you have 2 boats with 8 people + X number of people on your boat in distress....

What I am trying to say is that although you were dealing with relatively small vessels, within close proximity to shore and in favorable conditions, it is ALWAYS best to analyze the situation. Consideration of being accused of sinking someone's boat in distress would not even come to mind. In fact, I believe that 99.9999999999% of the people would be very happy to have someone assist them and in this case, probably save their day on the water!!

Well said Cameron, I agree.

(putz8p ) Kidding......

McFire
09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
I think my reaction would be a blend of the alternatives. I would have gotten my boat close enough to see what was going on in his boat. From there I could have advised where/how to turn on the bilge pump manually. I would have possibly been in a position to see where the water was coming from and attempt to correct the issue.

Regardless, I would have helped in any way I was able. What goes around comes around. Thanks for helping someone in need.

ivectoryou
09-11-2007, 04:26 PM

I've seen "BU" before, but I can't figure out with this stands for. Would somebody please clue me in.

Thanks,

Dan
Ducks 39
Michigan 7

rektek
09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
SodarSki73:
when words like fortitude show up on the TMC I know it's college FB season.

"fortitude" ? or lack of was not the issue, never did I feel his boat was in danger of sinking, rub rails were well out of the water.
I appreciate your comments however,

ivectoryou:
BU = Malibu, your ducks are good, real good

SodarSki73:
watch out for the ducks, they are real good this year. cal might give the Trojans trouble as well

Tex:
"Would I board the boat? Depends on what his crew looked like!"
crew was 8 Hispanic, 6 guys 2 women, none of the women were hot ! dudes were leaning towards gangsta, slightly
my crew: my wife, my 2yr boy, sister in law, 13yr old niece and niece's friend. niece is slightly gangsta

JimN:
my thoughts were borrowed boat or stolen. stealing a boat on a Sunday with a crew of 8 seems unlikely, borrowed sounds more likely.

Roonie's
09-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Unless the boat has added weight like lead and pop bags then the boat shouldn't sink to bottom in worst case scenario. I have seen them go down to the gunnels and at that point they are neutral and don't sink anymore. Too much fiberglass, and plastic in new boats these days to have them go completly under.

I would have done the same thing. Wouldn't want to be blamed for sinking their boat. I would have thought 8 guys would have checked the obvious.

Leroy
09-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I'll make it a test:
1. Been Used?
2. Before U
3. Malibu
4. Ben's Uranus

I've seen "BU" before, but I can't figure out with this stands for. Would somebody please clue me in.

Thanks,

Dan
Ducks 39
Michigan 7

SoCalBrew
09-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Personally, I'd just ask questions, call Lake Patrol, and wait with them until Lake Patrol came. That way if the boat did sink, they could come aboard to safety. Lake Patrol boats are usually MUCH better suited to tow another boat.

First question i'd ask: "Do you all have life jackets? - if so, i'd put em on".

Second question: "Is the plug in?" - if they don't know, then it is probably not in.

Third question: "Is the battery working" - if so, turn on the bilge... there are only so many switches they can put on a dash - and that one is usually in really plain sight. Tell em to keep looking until they find it"

Then I'd throw em a bucket and tell 'em to start bailing. (I always have one on board with cleaning supplies in it)

My other though is: why would anyone want to go aboard a ship or boat that is sinking... no matter how small. You would just increase the number of people in danger.

atlfootr
09-11-2007, 10:47 PM
I got flagged down [waving flags and arms] by a frantic BU owner [wakesetter] said he was taking on water and wanted a tow to the marina nearby. :cool:WHY bother :confused:

SoCalBrew
09-11-2007, 10:51 PM
WHY bother :confused:

Just 'cause people make bad / different choices, doesn't make them bad people. ;)

stars79stripes
09-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Like SoCalBrew said.

First rule of rescue is self-preservation. You can't help someone else if you put yourself in a precarious position.

From the Connecticut State Police exam (years ago):
You have been dispatched to a reported fully involved car fire on the Interstate. The first thing you do after advising dispatch you have arrived and the report is accurate is:
A.) Request fire department response
B.) Attempt to extingush fire
C.) Park your vehicle a safe distance from the incident and in a manner that will not expose you or oncoming traffic to additional risk
D.) Check burning vehicle for occupants

Correct answer? C

Mike

Jim@BAWS
09-11-2007, 11:17 PM
BU means "BETTER UNDERWATER"

JDK
09-11-2007, 11:25 PM
In fact, I believe that 99.9999999999% of the people would be very happy to have someone assist them and in this case, probably save their day on the water!!

....agreed. Been there - Done that (more than once) and usually been offered a gratuity :) but I can't remember ever accepting though :mad:

j2nh
09-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Personally I think you made a very good decision. If faced with something similar I would assume that the owner of the boat in distress was familiar with his boat and was in serious trouble. Getting him under tow towards safety is preferable to wasting time trying to diagnose a problem that may or may not be fixable on the water. With the boat in tow you should be able to communicate with him and review things he might have overlooked but at least you are moving in the right direction.

Unbelievable that he was that unfamiliar with his boat but a panic situation can bring out the worst in anyone.

SoCalBrew
09-11-2007, 11:38 PM
But why should their problem suddenly become your problem?

Unless there isn't any Lake Patrol - A call should be made first... many times they have the ability to tow faster, or bilge out a boat, or hold eight or more passengers better than an avergae boater / boat could. Same principle as waiting for an ambulance vs. driving in a car crash victim yourself. Everyone should have LP numbers in your cell.

:twocents:

Personally I think you made a very good decision. If faced with something similar I would assume that the owner of the boat in distress was familiar with his boat and was in serious trouble. Getting him under tow towards safety is preferable to wasting time trying to diagnose a problem that may or may not be fixable on the water. With the boat in tow you should be able to communicate with him and review things he might have overlooked but at least you are moving in the right direction.

Unbelievable that he was that unfamiliar with his boat but a panic situation can bring out the worst in anyone.

Leroy
09-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Oh that's good Jim!.......

BU means "BETTER UNDERWATER"

Thrall
09-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Most of the lakes I go to don't have cell service, so your options are tow the guy in, search for the warden (if one is even on the lake), or leave 'em there to sink/float.

ProTour X9
09-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Uhhh, why wouldn't the Auto switch kick in

JimN
09-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Bu used to have a separate switch for Auto and Manual. Stupid, yes. Easy to turn off? Yes. Easy enough to read and turn on? Yes. Is it possible to be in a boat for a while and not look for this switch, make sure the plugs are in and the hoses are all on? Yes. Is it possible to vapor lock and not be able to figure out how to turn the switch on when the boat is taking on water? You bet it is! Is this something that should have been checked before starting the motor? Absolutely! I seriously doubt that the blower was turned on at all, let along for five minutes, too.

captain planet
09-12-2007, 05:58 PM
So was the water in the boat coming from the leaking hydrophonic dampening box that delaminated and let water into their hollow stringers??

beatle78
09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Bu used to have a separate switch for Auto and Manual. Stupid, yes. Easy to turn off? Yes. Easy enough to read and turn on? Yes. Is it possible to be in a boat for a while and not look for this switch, make sure the plugs are in and the hoses are all on? Yes. Is it possible to vapor lock and not be able to figure out how to turn the switch on when the boat is taking on water? You bet it is! Is this something that should have been checked before starting the motor? Absolutely! I seriously doubt that the blower was turned on at all, let along for five minutes, too.

Yah MC too... my '01 205V has that. That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I'll be converting to an always on auto this off season.

My '01 BU actually had the always on auto.

east tx skier
09-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Bu used to have a separate switch for Auto and Manual. Stupid, yes. Easy to turn off? Yes.

My, er huh, some other guy's 93 PS 205 has on/auto/off, too. :o

JimN
09-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Doug- I like having only one switch, clearly marked. That way, you don't need to remember to turn the main one on or, while turning things off, turn the Auto switch off. Actually, having the float switch live at all times is more fool proof. Unless that fails, it's always going to pump.

ivectoryou
09-12-2007, 11:59 PM
SodarSki73:
when words like fortitude show up on the TMC I know it's college FB season.

"fortitude" ? or lack of was not the issue, never did I feel his boat was in danger of sinking, rub rails were well out of the water.
I appreciate your comments however,

ivectoryou:
BU = Malibu, your ducks are good, real good

SodarSki73:
watch out for the ducks, they are real good this year. cal might give the Trojans trouble as well

Tex:
"Would I board the boat? Depends on what his crew looked like!"
crew was 8 Hispanic, 6 guys 2 women, none of the women were hot ! dudes were leaning towards gangsta, slightly
my crew: my wife, my 2yr boy, sister in law, 13yr old niece and niece's friend. niece is slightly gangsta

JimN:
my thoughts were borrowed boat or stolen. stealing a boat on a Sunday with a crew of 8 seems unlikely, borrowed sounds more likely.
Thanks for the BU explanation!

Regarding the Ducks, I am a season ticket holder and will be at the game vs. Fresno State on Saturday in Autzen Stadium. The last time we beat Michigan (2003) we were drilled by Washington State the very next week. I hope this group of kids keeps their focus and doesn't have a let down. I think they will be fine.

Dan