PDA

View Full Version : Is X-15 Worth $10k more than X-2?

MWM
09-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Both boats '07, both with zero hours. The X-15 has more equipment (4 tower speakers, fiberglass platform w/teak inlay, depth finder) and a tandem instead of single trailer.

I like the X-15 better, but $10k better? Help

JohnE
09-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Each pair of speaker retails for about 2 grand and the tandem also adds agout 2 grand. So now there is only about a $4000 difference. And the consensus is that the X-15 does have a bit more room with a bit better ride I think.

erkoehler
09-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes, hands down I would take the X-15. The surf wake, boarding wake, and all around performance of the X-15 is top notch.

Drive both boats, board behind both boats, and surf both boats.

jaysus
09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Eric is right. The X15 is quickly becoming a contender for top seller at our store.

The X15 base price is close to 4k over the X2. Add the options and the trailer and you're there.

These 2 boats seem to be going head to head more and more. Had the same discussion this weekend. They chose a new X15.

sand2snow22
09-10-2007, 08:50 PM
How about ski wake with the plate? Is the X2 that much better or not noticeable?

erkoehler
09-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Last year people were constantly comparing the X-2 and X-1, now it seems that people are going bigger and comparing the X-2 and X-15.

Where the X-2 really takes the cake is that it is only 20ft. long, so if you have length restrictions on your lake the X-2 is a solid wakeboard boat that will usually meet most requirements of ski lakes and length controlled lakes.

JohnE
09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
\

The X15 base price is close to 4k over the X2. Add the options and the trailer and you're there.

That's what I was trying to say.:D

dpolen
09-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Sorry, kind of a threadjack...I'm very curious about the ski wake behind these...I guess I've heard/read that the X2 is supposed to have one of the best ski wakes for a v-drive. I know my wife would never let me buy a ski boat that has a "hump in the middle".

erkoehler
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Sorry, kind of a threadjack...I'm very curious about the ski wake behind these...I guess I've heard/read that the X2 is supposed to have one of the best ski wakes for a v-drive. I know my wife would never let me buy a ski boat that has a "hump in the middle".

Both the x-15 and the x-2 need the attitude adjustment plate in order to produce a "recreational" slalom wake.

The X-2 ski wake is better w/ the plate, but then again it is a smaller boat and should be better than the x-15.

JohnE
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM

I don't have much experience with the V drive, but I'd guess the best wake for skiing would be the X1.

dpolen
09-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks fellas!

Erk..gotta used X2 sitting anywhere that a nice guy from Minnesota could pick up for about $20K? lol wouldn't that be sweet...

erkoehler
09-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Not quite 20k........I think I'd be buying them for 20k.

Most nicely equipped x-2's with "low" hours are selling for mid 50's.

ttu
09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Both boats '07, both with zero hours. The X-15 has more equipment (4 tower speakers, fiberglass platform w/teak inlay, depth finder) and a tandem instead of single trailer.

I like the X-15 better, but $10k better? Help

my dealer had one of each and the $$$ difference was 4K which included the mcx engine on the x15. i went with the x2 because i personally like the size better.

but the x15 is a sweet boat.

JohnE
09-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Eric,

I don't have much knowledge about the V drives, but how is the X1 for slalom?

erkoehler
09-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Eric,

X-1 is by far the best slalom/barefoot V-drive. I've seen guys run the course into 38 off behind that boat.

JohnE
09-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Eric,

Thanks. I didn't know it was that good for slalom.

On a similar note, is it or was it ever awsa approved for slalom? That question came up in a pm the other day.

erkoehler
09-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Eric,

On a similar note, is it or was it ever awsa approved for slalom? That question came up in a pm the other day.

Maybe MYMC or JIM@BAWS can help me out on that question.....I'm not 100% sure but I'm leaning towards no.

sully
09-10-2007, 10:43 PM
The 215/X15 recrecational ski wake is pretty good if you take her up to 31-32 at 15 off without the plate (not an option in 06).

My :twocents:

jaysus
09-10-2007, 11:08 PM
The X2 w/the plate skips across the water leaving little wake for a VDrive. I know a multiple slalom skiers that wanted a true "cross-over" boat w/good ski-ability and they praise the X2 for it's versatility.

JGMinano
09-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Although I can't speak to the X-15 ski wake, I can tell you that my 07 X-2 produces a very good ski wake at speed (32 mph+), especially with the attitude adjustment plate engaged. I'd really encourage you to get the plate installed (I think your dealer can do it) if the boat you're looking at doesn't have it already. My wife pulled me this weekend and forgot to "lower" the plate first -- I noticed a difference the very first time I crossed the wake.

JohnE
09-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Maybe MYMC or JIM@BAWS can help me out on that question.....I'm not 100% sure but I'm leaning towards no.

Thats what I was thinking, but the owner of an X1 told me a dealer told him it was. Not a dealer from here. It is just curiosity, nothing more.

Jet
09-11-2007, 07:27 AM
We had to make the same call and went for the X15, with the plate.

More room, wider boat and does everything we need to, wakeboard, surf and tubing.

Absolutely no regrets.

Try them out and decide for yourself, but you can't go wrong with either one.

jaysus
09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Well put Jet.

BrianM
09-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Eric,

The V drive version of that hull was never AWSA approved for slalom but the DD 205 was. Same hull but different engine placement.

MWM
09-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Great stuff guys; keep it coming. And thanks!

This is an unusual situation where I don't believe I'll be able to get in either boat before pulling the trigger.

gew
09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
I looked at both and it came down to space. I like that I can hold 14 people. The X-15 is a great boat.

mccobmd
09-11-2007, 12:00 PM
I looked at the X2 and the X1, be sure you know what speed your wife is skiing. The X1 has very little wake at 32+, even less at 34+, my wife ski's at 28-30 and there is a little bump. Far less than a 21 ft I/O but more than a direct drive. I went with the X1 because me and my 2 boys wakboard and she is a recreational skier, no interest in the course.

MWM
09-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Is $65k a good price for a new '07 X-15? Includes attitude plate, fiberglass platform with teak inlay (evidently that's like a $2500 option), 4 tower speakers, tandem trailer, depth finder, MCX 350 engine . . . I think that's it.

I kinda feel like I should be able to do better considering it's end of season. Anyone? It scares me a little that the fella in CT (sorry, no disrespect, forgot your name) is selling an '07 with minimal hours for $56k. Is that b/c the US is headed into a recession?

jcbatt
09-11-2007, 06:31 PM
I think I'm the fella in CT... I haven't been actively marketing my boat because we've been using it a lot still. I get about a call a week on it, but noone real serious yet. I'm not real worried about selling the boat - I think it will move, and I think $56.5K is a fair price for it. The one you're comparing it to has tower speakers (mine doesn't), attitude plate (mine doesn't) and teak inlay platform (mine doesn't), while mine does have heat (didn't see that mentioned on the one you are comparing). Probably $3K-$5K difference in options between mine and the new one you're looking at. Assuming you want your dealer to stay in business (and he needs to make a reasonable profit to do that), $65K doesn't sound out of the ballpark for that boat. Just my 2 cents...

JohnE
09-11-2007, 07:06 PM
The V drive version of that hull was never AWSA approved for slalom but the DD 205 was. Same hull but different engine placement.

Thanks, Brian. I kind of thought that would have been the case. I was surprised when I was told the X1 was approved, which is why I asked.

MWM
09-12-2007, 10:40 AM
I think I'm the fella in CT... I haven't been actively marketing my boat because we've been using it a lot still. I get about a call a week on it, but noone real serious yet. I'm not real worried about selling the boat - I think it will move, and I think $56.5K is a fair price for it. The one you're comparing it to has tower speakers (mine doesn't), attitude plate (mine doesn't) and teak inlay platform (mine doesn't), while mine does have heat (didn't see that mentioned on the one you are comparing). Probably $3K-$5K difference in options between mine and the new one you're looking at. Assuming you want your dealer to stay in business (and he needs to make a reasonable profit to do that), $65K doesn't sound out of the ballpark for that boat. Just my 2 cents...Indeed. And, if you were local, it'd be done. Great price you're asking, no doubt.

MWM
09-12-2007, 10:41 AM
All I do is wakeboard. I put up the slalom 10 years ago. Why shouldn't I get the X-Star instead of either?

Is it just MasterCraft "marketing hype" that says the X-Star is the boat for wakeboarding? Or is it the real deal?

erkoehler
09-12-2007, 11:28 AM
All I do is wakeboard. I put up the slalom 10 years ago. Why shouldn't I get the X-Star instead of either?

Is it just MasterCraft "marketing hype" that says the X-Star is the boat for wakeboarding? Or is it the real deal?

The X-Star is going to be your best option for hardcore wakeboarding, and just wakeboarding. You can surf it and ski behind the boat, but the X-15 is a much better all around boat.

landscape
09-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Eric,

I have skiied behind a x-1, and x-2, the slalom wake is definitely better ( smaller and much softer ) behind the x-2. I think it is due to the stepped up hull on the x-2 that allows it to get out of the water. I know the x-1 is the same hull as the prostar 205, but it makes a huge difference with the engine in the rear.

jcbatt
09-12-2007, 04:52 PM

If you're able to, take each one (X-Star, X-15) out for a decent demo ride with 6+ people, and I think you may come away liking the X-15 better (especially for the price difference). The wake is very comparable, and the X-15 feels roomier, despite its smaller dimensions. At least thats been my experience. If you love the looks and image of the X-Star, its a good boat too, but we liked the overall package of the X-15 better.

Where are you located?

MWM
09-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Great feedback, jcbatt. thanks.

I'm in B'ham, AL (exactly 1000mi from Greenwich, CT -- we used to live there).

JohnE
09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I have skiied behind a x-1, and x-2, the slalom wake is definitely better ( smaller and much softer ) behind the x-2. I think it is due to the stepped up hull on the x-2 that allows it to get out of the water. I know the x-1 is the same hull as the prostar 205, but it makes a huge difference with the engine in the rear.

This contradicts what Eric has said, and also contradicts my intuition. But I have no first hand experience, so I respect your evaluation. FWIW, I was just curious, I have no interest in a V-drive yet.

jcbatt
09-14-2007, 12:36 AM
MWM - for $500 or so in gas money I know of a nice 07 X-15 that could find its way to your doorstep! :-)

All semi-kidding aside, best of luck in choosing your new boat. Its hard to go wrong with any of them (X-2, X-15, or X-Star).

MWM
09-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Jim,

In one of your pix for the KX250 for sale on the kentroad.com site there's an intriguing-looking machine in the b'ground . . . that isn't a CR500AF is it?? Looks like the wrong kickstarter for a CR250R ;)

lav
09-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Indeed. And, if you were local, it'd be done. Great price you're asking, no doubt.j i had my boat shipped from texas to west (by god) virgina appx 1200 miles for 1200 dollars

jcbatt
09-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Jim,

In one of your pix for the KX250 for sale on the kentroad.com site there's an intriguing-looking machine in the b'ground . . . that isn't a CR500AF is it?? Looks like the wrong kickstarter for a CR250R ;)

Its an 05 CR250. Of the 3 bikes (CR250, YZF450, KX250), I like the KX the best. Dimensions seem a little smaller to me. We just don't ride dirt bikes enough any more. Just picked up a Polaris Ranger XP as my newest off road toy.