PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Question

209er
09-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Hate to think about this subject but..just getting prepared. I wanted to ask out there, what all do you guys do to your MC to prepare for winter storage? I live in NE Ohio.

I plan to take my 2006 209 ProStar to my dealer to have them winterize it but I was wondering what you guys do in addition to that??

i.e., Teak platform, wax exterior, etc...

Thoughts, suggestions??

TMCNo1
09-10-2007, 06:47 PM
If your like us, even though we are in the Southeast, time is plentiful for clean-up, detailing, platform oiling, wheel bearing check, service, grease, any kind of trailer detailing and upgrading, just being around/in/under the boat helps keep ya mind right in the off season.

Chicago190
09-10-2007, 07:32 PM
This winter in addition to the engine winterization I'm going to wash and wax the boat, oil my teak platform, reseal and grease the trailer hubs, and bleed the trailer brakes.

209er
09-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I have oil bath bearings on my trailer, what preventive maintanence can I perform on those?

This is the first year with my MC winterizing, thus 10,000 questions.

209er
09-10-2007, 07:59 PM
My trailer brakes need bleeding, good idea Chicago 190.

vogelm1
09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I have oil bath bearings on my trailer, what preventive maintanence can I perform on those?

This is the first year with my MC winterizing, thus 10,000 questions.

Unless the oil in the oil bath hubs looks "milky" you won't have to do anything with them. However, I do quite a bit of trailering in the summer/in and out of different boat landings, so I plan on changing the oil in the hubs just for peace of mind. It's very easy to do and takes roughly 20 minutes per side. There's a great thread by member "P-hat in Cincy" on completely re-doing the hubs, seals, etc. but you might find it helpful for just changing oil.

123src
09-10-2007, 11:58 PM
This winter in addition to the engine winterization I'm going to wash and wax the boat, oil my teak platform, reseal and grease the trailer hubs, and bleed the trailer brakes.

GOOD POINT on the bleeding of the trailer brakes. I need to do that also.... I hope I remember!

rektek
09-11-2007, 12:26 AM
best time of year for us is now, sept-oct

fintek9
09-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Man I don't what to think about it! Bowhunting coming up, still boating water out there for at least another month or so!
Oh I hate this time of year!
Keep the boat clean all the time but make sure all water is out of ballast tanks, take center ballast bag out,( my own doing) speakers off tower, empty all boat goods out,(life jackets and such) Flush motor out with the pink, Spray some fogger, trailer bearings and brakes are good so that's out,(been done recently)Take cushions in, Cover,Time to hunt!

boatless
09-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Chicago190,
How do you bleed the trailer brakes ? I need to that to my trailer.

Thanks,
boatless.

wakescene
09-11-2007, 02:35 PM
This might help a few people...
Winterize
http://wakeboardnj.com/winterize.htm

deWinterize
http://www.wakeboardnj.com/docs/Winterization/dewinterize.htm

209er
09-11-2007, 05:59 PM
WOW! Talk about detailed! Thanks Wakescene!

209er
09-11-2007, 06:02 PM
My MC will be stored indoors, the previous owner went as far as putting the trailer (and boat) on jacks over winter-less weight on bearings and wheels for extended period of time. Do you guys recommend or do this too?

TMCNo1
09-11-2007, 07:22 PM
My MC will be stored indoors, the previous owner went as far as putting the trailer (and boat) on jacks over winter-less weight on bearings and wheels for extended period of time. Do you guys recommend or do this too?
I've done it and not done it over 18 years, but it would be tough to get it out in a hurry in case of a emergency! I've never had any problems. I do jack it up and apply protectant to both sides of the tire and the tread when I check and service the wheel bearings and brakes in the fall, then set the tires back down on carpet mats along with a jackstand under the trailer tongue to take weight off the jack.