PDA

View Full Version : 83 Ss 351 Power Slot

MMCCAR12
09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
A question for all you older SS boat owners.

This spring my SS started going from 145 F during operation "Wake board or Ski" and when I stop and change Skier or boarder and restart the engine the Temp. goes up to 180 F. You give it some RPM's for about 10 seconds and it starts to drop back down to normal. I never had this problem before and my friends SS does not do this. I replaced the Impeller and the Thermostatic, back flushed the the intake line, cleaned my sea strainer.

What do you think?

ski_king
09-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Operation sounds normal to me. When the engine is shut off the water isnt circulating and cooling, the temp will go up slightly. When you restart the engine, the water circulates and it cools it back down.

That being said, pull the plugs on the back of the manifold and clean out the rust that has built up in there. See if it operates different then.

TMCNo1
09-10-2007, 10:50 AM
The temp rise is normal due to "heat soak". Parts of the engine that are still hot when the engine is shut off and not cooled by the the lack of circulating water soaks out into the other parts of the engine, along with the heat buildup under the motor cover and the overall temp of the engine rises, then when you crank it back up, the cool water makes the temps drop as the heat is removed.

footerj
09-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Had the same problem, i replaced my therostat, impellor, and water pump. now it stays at a constant temp. your impellor may need to be replaced i would start there

MMCCAR12
09-10-2007, 11:01 AM
I know it may seem to be no problem, but it didnt do it before. I have replaced the Thermostatic and Impellor but not the main water pump.