PDA

View Full Version : Rubber swim platform

BdaEric
09-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Has anyone had problems with the black rubber on the swim platform rubbing off on anything that touches it?

Can it be sealed in anyway?

bigmac
09-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Common problem...discussed a lot here. Do a search...

http://tmcowners.com/teamtalk/search.php?searchid=892451

BdaEric
09-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Based on my search, it seems like it is a common problem, but no real solution. The boat is new so the mat should be the improved version, but it still marks. Has anyone tried spraying the mat with a coat or two of Rhino liner?

bigmac
09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Never heard of anyone doing that.

corey
09-10-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't know of any sure fixes but I do know that certain cleaners and sunscreens can break the mat down. Avoid using degreasers and the like on them.

Short term a good cleaning to remove any loose material and a throuough rinse with fresh water should help.

TMCNo1
09-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Cure,
Teak!

Willytown
09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
I had this probelm on my 04 X2, but not my 06. I wonder if they changed the rubber mat at all?

bigmac
09-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I had this probelm on my 04 X2, but not my 06. I wonder if they changed the rubber mat at all?
Yes they did. John Dorton sent me a new replacement mat when that occurred. It still tracks black stuff around, although less than previously. I suspect the possibility that the black stuff I am NOW tracking around is soot from the exhaust.

woody
09-10-2007, 02:11 PM
hey bigmac, to cure the soot from the exhaust problem, get an LPG conversion and run on propane if its readily available on the lakes your on.

Archimedes
09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I've never had this problem with my fiberglass swim platform. It such a piece of $hiite that I've never once used it on the lake. It's a $1,000 paper weight. Aside from the fact that it's tiny, warped and weighs a ton yet flexes like a rubber band, I have no interest in black marks all over my boat. Mine is sitting in the corner of the boat shed until I get around to taking it to the dump.

bigmac
09-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I've never had this problem with my fiberglass swim platform. It such a piece of $hiite that I've never once used it on the lake. It's a $1,000 paper weight. Aside from the fact that it's tiny, warped and weighs a ton yet flexes like a rubber band, I have no interest in black marks all over my boat. Mine is sitting in the corner of the boat shed until I get around to taking it to the dump.I've found my fiberglass platform to be very solid, very straight, and as large as the teak platform available in 2004. It is heavy, though.

X-Aggie
09-10-2007, 02:56 PM
I've never had this problem with my fiberglass swim platform. It such a piece of $hiite that I've never once used it on the lake. It's a $1,000 paper weight. Aside from the fact that it's tiny, warped and weighs a ton yet flexes like a rubber band, I have no interest in black marks all over my boat. Mine is sitting in the corner of the boat shed until I get around to taking it to the dump.

Wow tell us how you really feel.

erkoehler
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM

If your platform is really that much of an issue, I'd be talking to your dealer not posting about it on TMC.

Although, on the X-1 the fiberglass platform is a bit smaller than the teak, both platforms should be solid and not flex! :)

Archimedes
09-10-2007, 03:24 PM
If your platform is really that much of an issue, I'd be talking to your dealer not posting about it on TMC.

Although, on the X-1 the fiberglass platform is a bit smaller than the teak, both platforms should be solid and not flex! :)

Yes I have the X-1 platform and it is A LOT smaller than the teak one (maybe 35% smaller and pretty useless if you have kids). Had I known that, I would not have purchased it. And it sure as heck does flex when I stand on it.

It's small and it flexes, so I have no use for it. My teak platform is great. Well it is since I ground down the mounts a bunch so they actually fit.

TMCNo1
09-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Maybe it's a one use item, like other rubber products!

Vegas X-Star
09-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I just scrub it with Bleach White tire cleaner every few months and don't have any problems. I think what causes it to "rub off" is surface damage/deterioration from the sun...I still wish I had teak though.

JohnE
09-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Cure,
Teak!

I'll second that.:D ;)

pm66
09-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Everyone,
I was having the same problem with my swim platform also.
First I made a cover for it from a dead ez-up top,
then I started using 303 Protectant on it, so far so good we just got back and no black marks on anything.
Paul

Maristar210
09-10-2007, 10:38 PM

Teak Teak Teak

Teamoro
07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
BDAERIC,
Did you every find a solution to your black rubbing off your swim platform? I have the same problem; 2003 MC X-10; the black rubs off on anything that touches it!! wet or dry.
I'll dry a good scrub this weekend to see if that fixes the problem; I know a lot of guys say TEAK, but I don't want to spend the money and/or change the look of the boat.
Let me know if you or anyone has a solution re the black rubbing off.
Thanks.

fatladysingin
07-17-2008, 01:11 AM

Teak. Check. Anything else is...not...teak.

loeweb
07-17-2008, 01:54 AM
Teak. Check. Anything else is...not...teak.

Personally I love the look that teak gives any boat, and I wouldn't have a fiberglass platform shoved up my...

I like the feeling that teak gives me when I pull into the lake and people say "wow there goes a nice looking boat"
I also love oiling her up on occassion just to say that I did. I also like getting crap from friends that say "man it's just a piece of wood" Yeah, no it isn't.

Get some teak, take care of it, and reap the benefits!

bigmac
07-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Personally I love the look that teak gives any boat, and I wouldn't have a fiberglass platform shoved up my...

I like the feeling that teak gives me when I pull into the lake and people say "wow there goes a nice looking boat"
I also love oiling her up on occassion just to say that I did. I also like getting crap from friends that say "man it's just a piece of wood" Yeah, no it isn't.

Get some teak, take care of it, and reap the benefits!

Ok. I'll bite.

I hate a teak swim platform on a modern boat. Even in the relatively rare circumstance that it's well cared-for teak (instead of the usual faded grey) I think it looks totally anachronistic. Sort of like the faux-nostalgia look that Harley Davidson perpetuates in their Softail line of motorcycles.

IMHO.

loeweb
07-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Ok. I'll bite.

I hate a teak swim platform on a modern boat. Even in the relatively rare circumstance that it's well cared-for teak (instead of the usual faded grey) I think it looks totally anachronistic. Sort of like the faux-nostalgia look that Harley Davidson perpetuates in their Softail line of motorcycles.

IMHO.

I hate to agree, but for the newer wider boats the fiberglass does look a little better. on the boat that I own, teak is the only way to go. The fiberglass does complete the look of the newer boats, but there has to be something done about the rubber issue.