PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel

victorff
09-09-2007, 11:32 PM
We're thinking of buying a 5th wheel. The one thing I like about the 5th wheel over a trailer is the ability to have passangers in the 5th wheel while in-tow. I understand the dangers of having people in there. My question is, has anyone here ever ridden in one, and can you describe the ride for me. Thanks

erkoehler
09-09-2007, 11:35 PM
The laws on riders may vary by state, make sure you look in to that......

victorff
09-09-2007, 11:39 PM
As far as I know the only requiremient is there needs to be communication between the vehicle and trailer. Some states allow it and others don't

Cloaked
09-09-2007, 11:44 PM
We're thinking of buying a 5th wheel. The one thing I like about the 5th wheel over a trailer is the ability to have passangers in the 5th wheel while in-tow. I understand the dangers of having people in there. My question is, has anyone here ever ridden in one, and can you describe the ride for me. ThanksIllegal.......

suedv
09-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I believe the communication has to be continuous. You wouldn't catch me riding in there.

Bert
09-10-2007, 10:15 AM
We're thinking of buying a 5th wheel. The one thing I like about the 5th wheel over a trailer is the ability to have passangers in the 5th wheel while in-tow. I understand the dangers of having people in there. My question is, has anyone here ever ridden in one, and can you describe the ride for me. Thanks
Why do you want them back there ? I don't think it is legal.
I found a moterhome works the best, everyone can spread out, watch tv etc. and fetch me a cool one;)

milkmania
09-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Illegal.......
Foolish.......

edit:

with my bumper pull, the slide comes within a foot of the sink and wall
fifth wheel won't be much difference....if it has a slide

tones03
09-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Ive been in a camper trailer for a short period of time while moving (inside a campground going to dump the tank) and i would not recomend it and it would not be pleasent at all. Very noisy, between road noise, wind and the brakes, would rather be in the truck. Let alone not being safe at all.

milkmania
09-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Ive been in a camper trailer for a short period of time while moving (inside a campground going to dump the tank) and i would not recomend it and it would not be pleasent at all. Very noisy, between road noise, wind and the brakes, would rather be in the truck. Let alone not being safe at all.

my kids wanted to ride in the camper one time while checking out and going to the dump station.....

wasn't cracked up to all they thought it would be:o

X2M
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM

Right after I graduated from high school I went on a road trip with my grandparents. My brother and I rode in the the 5th wheel from the central valley of California through Arizona, Nevada and back.

What I remember most of the trip was the heat. OMG it was hot back there. I wouldn't recommend riding in one during the summer. Didn't get to see alot of the scenery along the way either. Being a teenager at the time I did get to sleep alot on the road.

I'm not real sure what the laws are about this now. I would call your local CHP office and get some info. :twocents:

victorff
09-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the imput, I guess my logic for the 5th wheel over an RV is to get full use of the truck I have.

atlfootr
09-11-2007, 10:19 PM
There's a TV Show on MTV called the 5th, usually pretty good w/ hot chicks ....

SoCalBrew
09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I think even TALKING about it is illegal in the state of California... either that or you can get Sued for it... :rolleyes:

As far as I know the only requiremient is there needs to be communication between the vehicle and trailer. Some states allow it and others don't

victorff
09-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Im waiting for the day when we'll have to get a smog check for a gas burning generator!!!!

LakePirate
09-11-2007, 10:58 PM
My grandfather has had a fifth wheel, class c and class a motorhome. While the Class a was nice, and being able to spread out is convenient, the ease of use with the 5th wheel is not to be ignored. Never rode in the back, but I would agree it would be hot.

If you have ever had to get repairs done on a class a you know that they are basically a big bread box on a chassis. Not easy to work on and often times never repaired correctly. I have been stranded on the side of the road too many times to remember. The fifth wheel never stranded me and any dealer/mechanic can work on your truck.

If it was me, I would get a travel trailer or a 5th wheel. The class c is not bad because it is basically a van.

SoCalBrew
09-11-2007, 11:13 PM
You think we'll ever have to smog check our boats?

Im waiting for the day when we'll have to get a smog check for a gas burning generator!!!!

Sodar
09-11-2007, 11:48 PM

Without question. Plus pay a some sort of BS fee!! It is Tax-ifornia!! :D

Doug G
09-12-2007, 01:34 AM
A few friends are 5th wheelers and swear by them for the convenience of having the truck to cruise around in when you get there among other things. I don't think there is any riding in the back and I wouldn't even if you could legally. What Lakey said is also a huge factor to consider.

suedv
09-12-2007, 07:55 AM
We love our 5th wheel. It tows well and it seems like a condo on wheels. The biggest benefit we see is pulls a double tow so we can take the boat along with us when we go camping.

CaptCurt72
09-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I had my children in the back of my 5th wheel until I saw a travel trailer ahead of me flip on the interstate. Nothing left of the trailer higher than the bumper.

Even if it's legal, no way is it safe.

fortheboyz
09-12-2007, 03:28 PM
On our way to Don Pedro we saw a guy with a 5th wheeler TOWING a boat behind. Just happened to see him at the lake and I told him "wasn't that illegal?". He said he had a licence to do so and was pulled over 3 times by the CHP on his way to the lake, showed him the proof and was on his way.

Apparently, he was right. He thought it funny that I was staring at him on the road...he knew what I was thinking, as everyone was!

BTW- both the 5th wheeler & boat were HUGE...and it is illegal to ride in a 5th wheeler while in motion.

Ric
09-12-2007, 03:49 PM
On our way to Don Pedro we saw a guy with a 5th wheeler TOWING a boat behind. Just happened to see him at the lake and I told him "wasn't that illegal?". He said he had a licence to do so and was pulled over 3 times by the CHP on his way to the lake, showed him the proof and was on his way.

Apparently, he was right. He thought it funny that I was staring at him on the road...he knew what I was thinking, as everyone was!

BTW- both the 5th wheeler & boat were HUGE...and it is illegal to ride in a 5th wheeler while in motion. a buddy of mine did that alot with his diesel 3/4 ton and 22ft supra.. I've thought about that as an option to rv. either way seems like a hassle, but so does traveling in 2 cars for a lake camping trip:cool:

fortheboyz
09-12-2007, 04:33 PM
So true....

What's with Rosie? YIKES!

Ric
09-12-2007, 04:34 PM
HAHAHAHHAHA made ya look!

atlfootr
09-12-2007, 07:19 PM
none of you watch the 5th wheel -- game show?

lawless1
09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
My parent 5th wheel. It is my understanding that for both double towing and riding in the back it is state dependent. As for riding in the 5th wheel, my mother does it out of necessity due to sever back problems. She can only sit in a vehicle for short durations. The ability to lie down on the bed in the 5th affords her the opportunity to go on longer trips. She seems to enjoy it and feels that the ride on the bed is much more comfortable than trying to lay flat in the rear seat of the truck. They use a 2way radio during travel.

Cloaked
09-12-2007, 07:33 PM

BTW- both the 5th wheeler & boat were HUGE...and it is illegal to ride in a 5th wheeler while in motion.Some states allow triples, some doubles, some only singles. The license is a provisional CDL license that anyone may obtain. However, in any state, the first hook has to be a fifth-wheel configuration, then the next hook can be a tag or another 5th. For example, the UPS feeder trucks use two fifth-wheels, but that is for load capacity on the scales, not convenience like the recreational dude you ran into. That dude choose the tag as the second, which is OK. His provisional CDL allowed him the operation of that tow-hitch configuration.

The illegality of riding in a towed vehicle is federal. All states comply. Not to mention stupid. If the travel home ever breaks loose or jack-knives, it has no regard for safety of anyone, Moms included, and they d@mn sure have no safety or structural integrity.

victorff
09-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Lawless, Besides the confort of laying down, has she ever commented on the rattling of cabinets, dishes or road noise, wind

lawless1
09-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Lawless, Besides the confort of laying down, has she ever commented on the rattling of cabinets, dishes or road noise, wind

I can ask if you would like, but not that I have heard - I believe it is fairly smooth on the freeway. Highway 101 may be a different story though. Again, maybe not the safest but hers is mostly out of necessity.

She has had a bit of fun with it as she looks down other vehicles that cannot see her and she can actually see in the vehicles, so . . . .

victorff
09-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks again everyone for the imput, it has been a big help.

M-Funf
09-13-2007, 02:55 PM

Off Topic:
Although I have no idea of HOW they're going to test them, my guess is yes...but HOW? They gonna load the equipment in your boat on the water? Built a boat-dyno (like an indoor lap pool) ????

On Topic: My family has owned everything from tents to Class A motorhomes. The ones that always seemed to work out best for us were either a truck/camper pulling the boat, or towing a trailer with a Suburban with somebody else behind towing a boat...
Riding in a 5th wheel is illegal in CA, and I wouldn't want to ride back there, either. As a kid, I loved riding up over the cab in the camper :)

Sodar
09-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Off Topic:
Although I have no idea of HOW they're going to test them, my guess is yes...but HOW? They gonna load the equipment in your boat on the water? Built a boat-dyno (like an indoor lap pool) ????

They have an out of water dyno for outboards already. They used it on our old center console when were were having a problem at WOT. It essentially slid onto the prop shaft and was braced to both the ground and the lower unit of the outboard. It was a huge circular thing that worked off of hydraulics to provide a load. It was sick though, we brought the motors up to 6200 rpm on this thing.... IT WAS LOUD!!!!

On Topic: My family has owned everything from tents to Class A motorhomes. The ones that always seemed to work out best for us were either a truck/camper pulling the boat, or towing a trailer with a Suburban with somebody else behind towing a boat...
Riding in a 5th wheel is illegal in CA, and I wouldn't want to ride back there, either. As a kid, I loved riding up over the cab in the camper :)

I agree! Every year, we rent an RV and go somewhere with a boat. In past years, we always drug the boat behind the RV, but this year, I wanted to bring my boat and my parents wanted to bring theirs, so I ended up driving with a car behind the RV. It was sooooooo nice having a car there to launch/pull the boats in/out of the water, run errands, etc. In previous years, it was such a PITA trying to launch with a 42' RV, not to mention the fact that we would have to drop camp everytime the boat had to come in or go out of the water.

Look above!

fortheboyz
09-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Some states allow triples, some doubles, some only singles. The license is a provisional CDL license that anyone may obtain. However, in any state, the first hook has to be a fifth-wheel configuration, then the next hook can be a tag or another 5th. For example, the UPS feeder trucks use two fifth-wheels, but that is for load capacity on the scales, not convenience like the recreational dude you ran into. That dude choose the tag as the second, which is OK. His provisional CDL allowed him the operation of that tow-hitch configuration.

The illegality of riding in a towed vehicle is federal. All states comply. Not to mention stupid. If the travel home ever breaks loose or jack-knives, it has no regard for safety of anyone, Moms included, and they d@mn sure have no safety or structural integrity.

GOTCHA!! Just a sight to see. I've a hard enough time backing down our Class A on the launch ramp...let alone a 5th wheeler. ;)

X2M
09-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I was curious about this. So, I asked a couple of questions today of some people in the know on the subject.

Riding in a 5th wheel is legal in the State of California.

(i) Subdivision (g) does not apply to a trailer coach ( ) 9 that is towed with a fifth-wheel device if the trailer coach is equipped with safety glazing materials wherever glazing materials are used in windows or doors, with an audible or visual signaling device ( )7 that a passenger inside the trailer coach can use to gain the attention of the motor vehicle driver, and with at least one unobstructed exit capable of being opened from both the interior and exterior of the trailer coach.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21712.htm

M-Funf
09-13-2007, 04:50 PM
I was curious about this. So, I and asked a couple of questions today of some people in the know on subject.

Riding in a 5th wheel is legal in the State of California.

Wow...I was always told that it wasn't legal??? My Grammy lied to me??? :cry:

Just kidding of course...

Good find X2!!!

fortheboyz
09-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Come on...it's just plain dangerous.

We take great precautions while driving our boats on the water...why not on the road? :confused: