PDA

View Full Version : raw water strainer

Brn85ss
03-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Anybody with an older boat 86 or older running a strainerI've tried like hell to fit mine under the motor box i'm about ready to give up.Wasted 60 bones!anybody?

MarkP
03-04-2005, 12:31 PM
What strainer did you buy?

Brn85ss
03-04-2005, 12:36 PM
The sherwood from skidim.

east tx skier
03-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Did you get the right-angle barb?

Maybe some pictures would help us see what you're dealing with. It was a tight squeeze for me, but the motorbox was not what was in the way.

MarkP
03-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Have you looked for alternatives? If you absolutely can not fit one you might look at this guy. http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/strainers.htm I donít know how well it works but, um, well, if it donít fit, ya know??http://www.groco.net/images/strainers/strainers-APHS.html

martini
03-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Check this picture out from my 84. It's tight when closed, but works perfectly. Cable ties are all you need.

Brn85ss
03-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Yea doug tried two 90"s 1-90 no 90's.The box on the early models is really tight,you can see from martinis pic if you are outside the throtle cable it hits the box.Hey martini I thought it had to be mounted on the horizontal.But I agree it should work thanks for the pic.I think how you have it run is my only option.Clean engine did you redo it or did you buy it that clean?

jayderwin1
03-04-2005, 01:53 PM
nice looking motor sorry i don't know anything about water strainers

east tx skier
03-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I figured we were dealing with different dimensions on the box. Good luck.

martini
03-04-2005, 02:31 PM
It was not like that when I bought it. I redid the engine and the interior myself. I have since removed the engine again and installed GT-40 heads and painted it an old Ford red. It looks really sharp. I figured since I was putting on performance heads, the engine should look like it is hot. I am not completely done with it yet, but it will be good to go soon. It makes no difference how the strainer is mounted, it works great!

Brn85ss
03-04-2005, 03:00 PM
It was not like that when I bought it. I redid the engine and the interior myself. I have since removed the engine again and installed GT-40 heads and painted it an old Ford red. It looks really sharp. I figured since I was putting on performance heads, the engine should look like it is hot. I am not completely done with it yet, but it will be good to go soon. It makes no difference how the strainer is mounted, it works great!
Looks great what is that on top of your trans. cooler?Thinking on doing heads in acouple of years, do you think that you will be able to run low octane gas with the gt heads.Mine runs great on low oct. now.

martini
03-04-2005, 03:11 PM
I doubt I will be able to run rego thru it now. The compression is a bit higher with these heads because they have been milled. The cooler is connected to the flush-pro. What are you talking about exactly, on top of my transmission?

Brn85ss
03-04-2005, 03:52 PM
I doubt I will be able to run rego thru it now. The compression is a bit higher with these heads because they have been milled. The cooler is connected to the flush-pro. What are you talking about exactly, on top of my transmission?

Sorry I wasn't clear on what I was talking about.I didn't recognize the flush pro ontop of your trans.cooler.Gas just hit $239 a gal. here for reg.Iwould hate to have to buy high octane right now.

martini
03-04-2005, 05:00 PM
no problem. Yeah, hopefully the prices will come back down a little over the summer. I just filled my truck up for 1.66/gal(reg unlead) here in Austin 2 days ago. I haven't seen prices skyrocketing up yet, but I am sure it will happen soon enough.

BuoyChaser
10-05-2005, 09:59 AM
I've never run a water strainer on my boat, but have lots of buddies who do. It is amazing the amount of debris they pull out everytime they use it. Any problems or reason not to use one? I guess they don't come standard because it is another IDIOT-PRONE problem for those users who just start their boat and run, never checking anything. Looking to install one on my '05 197!!!

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHE18016

Sherwood Sea Water Strainers are designed to deliver full flow of liquid while providing effective filtration of foreign matter in your supply line! Cleaning is accomplished easily without removing strainer from lines. Simply unscrew lower bowl from cap and lift out screen. Flush sediment from mesh with water and replace screen by first fitting to flange cap. Align gasket to assure proper seal before tightening bowl. Replace gasket if it is cut or showing excessive wear. Turning bowl hand tight provides sufficient seal against cap. Clean strainers regularly for best system performance. Hose barb inlets, necessary for installation, are also in stock!

MarkP
10-05-2005, 10:44 AM
I've never run a water strainer on my boat, but have lots of buddies who do. It is amazing the amount of debris they pull out everytime they use it. Any problems or reason not to use one? I guess they don't come standard because it is another IDIOT-PRONE problem for those users who just start their boat and run, never checking anything. Looking to install one on my '05 197!!!

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHE18016

Sherwood Sea Water Strainers are designed to deliver full flow of liquid while providing effective filtration of foreign matter in your supply line! Cleaning is accomplished easily without removing strainer from lines. Simply unscrew lower bowl from cap and lift out screen. Flush sediment from mesh with water and replace screen by first fitting to flange cap. Align gasket to assure proper seal before tightening bowl. Replace gasket if it is cut or showing excessive wear. Turning bowl hand tight provides sufficient seal against cap. Clean strainers regularly for best system performance. Hose barb inlets, necessary for installation, are also in stock!
That looks like the one to use.. I had one on my Nautique but havenít added one to the Master Craft yet. It is on the list!!

ski_king
10-05-2005, 11:36 AM
That looks like the one to use.. I had one on my Nautique but havenít added one to the Master Craft yet. It is on the list!!

Mark, I bet your old Nautique was orginally sold by Conneaut Lake Nav. Co., because of the seaweed problem on that lake, they supply on every boat they sell.

MarkP
10-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Thatís a good possibility Denny. I did buy that boat locally.

Actually, I would like to find a strainer like my old boat had. I looked a while ago but couldnít find one. I donít even remember the brand. It was a little bigger and emptied from the top, (pulled the lid off and removed the basket).

jimmer2880
10-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Thatís a good possibility Denny. I did buy that boat locally.

Actually, I would like to find a strainer like my old boat had. I looked a while ago but couldnít find one. I donít even remember the brand. It was a little bigger and emptied from the top, (pulled the lid off and removed the basket).

Mark, I had that one on my old Supra also. I couldn't find it either. Sure was easy to empty. But - I now have the one shown here. The thing I like about this one is the clear body. Very easy to just pop the engine box & take a look.

Tom023
01-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Another project I completed this winter. I had NO room in the engine compartment to install the strainer so I had to route some hoses to this location, where it is easy to access.

Cloaked
01-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Another project I completed this winter. I had NO room in the engine compartment to install the strainer so I had to route some hoses to this location, where it is easy to access.A nice looking install...

psychobilly
01-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Check this picture out from my 84. It's tight when closed, but works perfectly. Cable ties are all you need.

What happened to the pics in this thread??? I've searched a lot of these threads on this topic and they all seem to have been removed.......

Has anyone have any pics of their install??? Can anyone explain why there's no pics in the start of this thread anymore???

hbomb
01-24-2011, 06:51 PM
if I can ask a question..... have followed info on these sherwood strainers and they appear to be excellent
run a 2007 X2 350mcx..... have to pull water line of to inspect filter to transmission cooler..... regularly
I would assume that you would instal the strainer at the raw water pick up at the hull prior to pump which will then serve transmission cooler also....
sure I have answered my own question but perhaps someone can confirm.....
looking at the 1.25" sherwood - from SKIDIM.

macattack
01-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Hbomb, you are correct on your assumption to install the water strainer right after the raw water pick up; hence, no need to check the transmission cooler screen anymore! Here's a couple of pics of the Sherwood strainer installed on a 2005 MCX; tight fit, but it works great! I bought the 1.25" strainer and two 1.25" 90 degree barbs from Skidim. If you need any other pics, let me know...mac

hbomb
01-24-2011, 10:23 PM
macattack, sensational.......... I do appreciate that - have been talking to skidim - just need to check whether angle or straight barbs for a fit then I can order
thanks again

psychobilly
02-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Well I finally got home and installed mine. It took forever to locate that hose!!!

I really liked the location you have your strainer in macattack but I would have had to have 10 more feet of hose.....

It turned out real nice I reckon.

macattack
02-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Looks great/nice install! mac

psychobilly
02-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanx man. Just got back from the lake and it ran great. I did notice a small lil leak in my silent master so I glassed that up when I was done. Drained all the wader out of the motor after I was done just in case we do get another freeze.... I hope that crap is over. :D;)