PDA

View Full Version : The cradle falls down and the boat went SPLASH

Maristar210
09-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Someone in my family who also pulls me on a wakeboard unwound the boat lift all the way and completely unspooled the cable. No big deal. Crank it back up the next day and all is good. Day after that cranking it up is hard and all of a sudden the boat goes kaploosh in the water??

W T F >?????

Right? No ones in the boat and the boat did not hit anything so there is no damage but.....

Turns out the tail of the cable became entangled in the sprocket and chain and actually BROKE the chain and not the cable. The chain fell off into the muck....

Just sharing my recent bad luck...... I am headed down to the Marina now to remove the crank box so I can put a new chain on it....:rolleyes: :o :o :o

I love my wife I love my wife

Ric
09-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I think you and I could compare a few stories about this week. Good thing is, it's behind us now and it's time for a beer!

Maristar210
09-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Amen to that Bruther.

Rich_G
09-08-2007, 01:10 PM
I had a front corner cable snap a couple years ago while lifting..., that will scare the crap out of ya! My switch is spring loaded so you have to hold it to raise or lower. When you let go it turns off.

The reason I have that switch is because one of my older neighbors had the kind that will stay "ON". His son-in-law went to lower the boat, then got distracted by a kid. No problem right, the boat will float when it hits the water. The cable completely unwrapped then starts rewinding the other way. The lift finally stopped after crushing the windshield.

Bruce
09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I was raising my old boat when a rear cable snapped. The front of the boat was on the strap and was sliding off. I was by myself and seemed like I had the world by the a--. Wish I had the spring loaded switch then. Other wise I like the on I have since I can do a lot of stuff while it is being lowered or raised. ( Then again it is just a matter of time till my memory will create a problem here). Local guy who handles the galvanized cable advised me those cables should be replaced regularly. I guess I thought it was a life time deal.

limegreen
09-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Maybe she was doing some kind of testing? Splash testing?

88 PS190
09-08-2007, 04:28 PM
My bro engined into the lift with an I/O and cracked the lift's rear bar.

That made the weekend.

Hoosier Bob
09-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Next time Mari get out of the boat first! Just how much do you think that thing can lift anyway?8p

Hoosier Bob
09-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Next time Mari get out of the boat first! Just how much do you think that thing can lift anyway?8p

Maristar210
09-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I was out of the boat and so was everyone else except your last girlfriend. She needs to stay in the center of the boat, she keeps maiking one side of the was wash out. But she's great ballast
for surfing...

phecksel
09-08-2007, 10:30 PM
One our ski club members was lifting his brand new natique with an overhead pole winding up the cables attached to the bow and stern, when the pole broke. Took out his windshield and tore the motor cover.

Never did ask why the pole broke... I'm using a very similar system to pull my cradle out of the water.