PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Swim platform brackets?

skeeler
09-07-2007, 01:31 PM
First off, MC, you are pulling ahead even more! :D MCs have been at the top of the line for awhile now, but the attention to the little things is what counts. It has to be hard to improve on greatness year in and year out. Who ever came up with those brackets on '08 swim platforms needs to have someone buy him/her a drink! That is to be the greatest thing ever. I don't trailer my boat at all, but the times I do have to put that thing in the garage, I hate taking that platform off. :mad: Not because it is overly difficult, but it really is a two person job so you don't scratch or damage it.
Having said that, does anyone know if you will be able to buy those brackets and put them on an '07? Or again, do I have to buy an '08 now? :D

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 01:36 PM
MYMC has the brackets for ya skeeler! :cool: There is a post here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Mag_Red
09-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Mike at MYMC posted about having these available last week. Don't remember the price.

skeeler
09-07-2007, 01:38 PM
MYMC has the brackets for ya skeeler! :cool: There is a post here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
Thanks dude!!! Boy how things can change in an hour, I may have a x-2 for sale. I'll keep you posted. :D

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks dude!!! Boy how things can change in an hour, I may have a x-2 for sale. I'll keep you posted. :D

Things change in an hour??? Did you win the lottery or something? :D

You can retrofit the new folding brackets onto your '07.

TMCNo1
09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Here is the thread on the folding platform brackets, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18768&highlight=brackets

skeeler
09-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Things change in an hour??? Did you win the lottery or something? :D

You can retrofit the new folding brackets onto your '07.
Long story short, owner at my dealer may be working a deal on an X-Star for me for next year. Will see what happens........either way I'll be in a MC. :D

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Nice! :cool:

Diesel
09-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Not too sure which boat or year you have but as a look at this swap further on my 209 it gets more and more difficult. Check into it before you buy the brackets.

Ran into this last night - If I just try to replace the factory bracket with the new folding brackets the two lower holes on the folding bracket cannot be reached from inside of the hull. They are too far down on the hull and any holes I drill will come out under the floor liner and into the foam section between the liner and the hull. Not too sure what I am going to do now. :confused:

I am quite confident I will figure out a solution but it is definitely not a bolt on replacement on my boat. ;)

MYMC
09-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Not too sure which boat or year you have but as a look at this swap further on my 209 it gets more and more difficult. Check into it before you buy the brackets.

Ran into this last night - If I just try to replace the factory bracket with the new folding brackets the two lower holes on the folding bracket cannot be reached from inside of the hull. They are too far down on the hull and any holes I drill will come out under the floor liner and into the foam section between the liner and the hull. Not too sure what I am going to do now. :confused:

I am quite confident I will figure out a solution but it is definitely not a bolt on replacement on my boat. ;)
We thread the steel reinforcement plate and seal the bolts when assembling.

RK@UST
09-07-2007, 03:38 PM
First off, MC, you are pulling ahead even more! :D MCs have been at the top of the line for awhile now, but the attention to the little things is what counts. It has to be hard to improve on greatness year in and year out. Who ever came up with those brackets on '08 swim platforms needs to have someone buy him/her a drink! That is to be the greatest thing ever. I don't trailer my boat at all, but the times I do have to put that thing in the garage, I hate taking that platform off. :mad: Not because it is overly difficult, but it really is a two person job so you don't scratch or damage it.
Having said that, does anyone know if you will be able to buy those brackets and put them on an '07? Or again, do I have to buy an '08 now? :D
Just saw it on an 08 X Star in person, and operated it.
It is very nice.

OhioX14
09-07-2007, 03:42 PM
I think it's a great feature but only wish they would have come up with an easier way to take the platform off for refinishing other than having to remove bolts. Other than that it's way cool!

SkiDog
09-07-2007, 04:15 PM
You can't do that!!!!!!!!!!! You're the reason I just bought my X-2 Damnit:D :D

TMCNo1
09-07-2007, 04:25 PM
I think it's a great feature but only wish they would have come up with an easier way to take the platform off for refinishing other than having to remove bolts. Other than that it's way cool!

Who refinishes their platform anymore????????????:rolleyes: :D

Not me, I'm through, last time was in the Spring before CSM, it's just gonna have to survive! From here on out, it's all down hill!

Diesel
09-07-2007, 11:15 PM
We thread the steel reinforcement plate and seal the bolts when assembling.

So the steel backing plate runs that far down? How thick is the plate...1/4"? Just so I understand - Drill, tap, then seal with silicone and no through bolting on the lower two holes.

I actually thought of drilling two new holes in the folding swim platform brackets which would line up with the location of the two existing holes in the transom. I would still have to drill out new upper holes but then the upper and middle holes would be through bolted in the steel plate. To finish off I could just use some large sheet metal screws for the bottom two holes or use your suggestion. Is six bolts/bracket over kill??

MYMC
09-10-2007, 10:27 AM
So the steel backing plate runs that far down? How thick is the plate...1/4"? Just so I understand - Drill, tap, then seal with silicone and no through bolting on the lower two holes.

I actually thought of drilling two new holes in the folding swim platform brackets which would line up with the location of the two existing holes in the transom. I would still have to drill out new upper holes but then the upper and middle holes would be through bolted in the steel plate. To finish off I could just use some large sheet metal screws for the bottom two holes or use your suggestion. Is six bolts/bracket over kill??
It is 1/4" plate and should be done that far...you can always call us if you have questions about that stuff.

Diesel
09-11-2007, 10:49 AM
It is 1/4" plate and should be done that far...you can always call us if you have questions about that stuff.

Yep you are right. ;)

Since the weather forecast for this week looks a bit wet I decided to dig into this project a bit early.

Got the factory bracket off.........

Diesel
09-11-2007, 10:57 AM
After taking a dozen or so measurements it became quite clear that the new folding bracket would need to be pushed all the way up into the factory bracket pocket. Even flush against the bottom of the pocket my swim deck is going to sit about an 1/4" closer to the water. This should be no problem since my deck sat 1.5-2" above the water anyway.

Using the new bracket as a template I marked the four new holes on the transom and drilled away.

Top two are through drilled 5/16" holes. Bottom two are blind drilled and tapped 5/16".

Diesel
09-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Carefully tapping the 1/4" plate for the lower two holes. I used a 5/16 NC Hanson tap.

Diesel
09-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Cleaned up and ready for the bracket. The original holes in the middle will be sealed with silicone and covered up by the new bracket.

Diesel
09-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I still have to find some 5/16 Stainless machine screws to finish off mounting the bracket but here is a pic of mock fit up with the arm.

MYMC
09-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Looks great!

H20skeefreek
09-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I'd fill the holes with epoxy, but that's just me. At least use 3m 5200 to seal it rather than silicone. But I would NOT use 5200 to seal the holes you are using, making it virtually impossible to remove if you need to.