PDA

View Full Version : How much to pay for detailing...

dpolen
09-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I am in the process of scheduling winterization, interior/exterior detailing, and storage for my maristar in October. My local carwash quoted me $19.95 per linear foot for detailing...does this seem about right for a price to pay ($460 total)? I have always done this myself in the past, but I simply don't have the time to do it this year. What have you non do-it-yourselfers paid for this service?

Thanks!
Doug

justinlkgb
09-07-2007, 08:48 AM
seems kind of steep to me. But i've always done it myself. I am sure others can chime in with more info.

WTRSK1R
09-07-2007, 09:09 AM
I know a guy who just payed $400 for detailing his boat (closed bow SN) in preparation for sale. I must admidt, it looks fabulous. Not sure I could justify the $$$, but in his case, I think he got his moneys worth.

TMCNo1
09-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Let's say a mid size car or truck detailing only, clean engine/engine compartment/protectant applied, trunk cleaning and vac, interior clean/vac and carpet shampooed, window cleaning, full protectant treatment /interior/exterior, wash, wax, tires/wheels/wheel wells cleaned/protectant applied. full treatment should run no more than $250, if it's not just plain nasty to start with. A $35 more for larger/$35 less for smaller. Boats should not be much different, depending on the area of the country. I think your getting taken for a small ride!
Vehicle detailing is a part of my business. With cars/trucks, they have a system and a boat throws their rythem off, so to speak, so they charge extra for their trouble.:twocents:

Maristar210
09-07-2007, 09:55 AM
That's about what I have paid in the past. I count on a grand or so for detail $400, winterize $200 and storage $350

bcampbe7
09-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Let's say a mid size car or truck detailing only, clean engine/engine compartment/protectant applied, trunk cleaning and vac, interior clean/vac and carpet shampooed, window cleaning, full protectant treatment /interior/exterior, wash, wax, tires/wheels/wheel wells cleaned/protectant applied. full treatment should run no more than $250, if it's not just plain nasty to start with. A $35 more for larger/$35 less for smaller. Boats should not be much different, depending on the area of the country. I think your getting taken for a small ride!
Vehicle detailing is a part of my business. With cars/trucks, they have a system and a boat throws their rythem off, so to speak, so they charge extra for their trouble.:twocents:

You clean the wheel wells??? What do you use?

TMCNo1
09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
You clean the wheel wells??? What do you use?

Most any kind of biodegradable cleaner, sprayed then rinsed after a few minutes, then spray most any kind of protectant in the wheel wells after they have dried (I use my leaf blower to blow the water out to speed up the process, same with wheels/tires and the better part of the vehicle for that matter) and they will turn black as soot. The protectant will help repel future dirt, debris, rainwater, etc. in the future and makes for easier cleaning next time. I've been doing it on all my vehicles for over 20 years, same thing for the undercarriage about once a year in the Spring. Snow and ice even has a hard time sticking to the protectant!

corey
09-07-2007, 10:35 AM
I've seen car shops do jobs that would easily justify that price and ones that haven't. A complete buff of the exterior on a 225 is a pretty good sized job if you are doing it right, get an exact quote with a list of exactly what will be done, that way you can inspect the boat before pickup and make sure it is as you expected.

Sodar
09-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I just had my Tahoe and my boat done last Tuesday for Labor day and it was $140 for the boat and $120 for the car, plus I gave him a $40 tip. He spent about 8 hours on the boat and 6 hous on the car. Turned out very nice. Here in SoCal, we have the benefit of cheap labor for some things.:o

He did a great job...

On the Tahoe he: Steam Washed and Glossed up the engine bay, detailed the interior, clayed, polished and sealed the exterior, polished the chrome and billet grille and tire shine/protectant on moldings and tires.

For the Boat he: Cleaned the bilge, polished the stainless and aluminum, cleaned the vinyl (I provided him 303 to wipe down the seats and dash with), used Finesse-It on the gel, then 3M Scotchguard Marine Wax, cleaner waxed the trailer and tire shined the wheels.

Here is a pic of the rig when he finished.

erkoehler
09-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Lookin good! :)

dpolen
09-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I've seen car shops do jobs that would easily justify that price and ones that haven't. A complete buff of the exterior on a 225 is a pretty good sized job if you are doing it right, get an exact quote with a list of exactly what will be done, that way you can inspect the boat before pickup and make sure it is as you expected.

Corey, can you recommend any car shops in the cities that would justify the price...I'm willing to pay for it if they are going to do a kick-butt job. I forgot to ask your service department about this service when I booked my winterization appt... Please PM me if you don't want to post.

Thanks!
Doug

corey
09-07-2007, 12:37 PM
pm sent, not tons of info but 1 good option

east tx skier
09-08-2007, 01:16 AM
300 for sides, top, and what they can reach underneath. Another $100 if they pick it up off the trailer and do the bottom. That's a full wash, polish, and wax.

Bruce
09-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I just had my Tahoe and my boat done last Tuesday for Labor day and it was $140 for the boat and $120 for the car, plus I gave him a $40 tip. He spent about 8 hours on the boat and 6 hous on the car. Turned out very nice. Here in SoCal, we have the benefit of cheap labor for some things.:o

He did a great job...

On the Tahoe he: Steam Washed and Glossed up the engine bay, detailed the interior, clayed, polished and sealed the exterior, polished the chrome and billet grille and tire shine/protectant on moldings and tires.

For the Boat he: Cleaned the bilge, polished the stainless and aluminum, cleaned the vinyl (I provided him 303 to wipe down the seats and dash with), used Finesse-It on the gel, then 3M Scotchguard Marine Wax, cleaner waxed the trailer and tire shined the wheels.

Here is a pic of the rig when he finished.

JESSE JAMES USED A GUN!
What a steal! It does look great.

G_Anders
09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Does anyone have a guy that does it in the Milwaukee, WI area?

erkoehler
09-09-2007, 08:50 PM
You can tow it to Chicago MasterCraft and we can have it professionally detailed for you if you'd like.

jrhollow
09-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Corey, could you also pm me the info.

Thanks!

G_Anders
09-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Anyone have a guy in the Milwaukee area that is good?